How to move my arms

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by akifennec, Dec 13, 2009.

1. akifennec

akifennec New Member

Recently my friend has talked me into going to clubs with him. I found that I wasn't to bad when it came to moving my body, nothing complicated but more movement then I saw from others, the thing is I kept find my self in a position where I didn't know what to do with my arms. According to my friend I unknowingly started doing the "robot" like movements with my arms.

What are somethings I can do when dancing along or with a partner? Ive always found my arms to be awkward, not just in dance : (
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

think of your arms as being connected to your denter so that what you do with them comes naturally from what your senter is doing
  3. akifennec

akifennec New Member

Ill work on it, just need to get more comfortable with dancing. Is there any style besides hip-hop that would help with arm control or what not
  4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

If you're female, salsa will teach you lots of pretty things to do with your arms and hands. If you're a guy, I recommend keeping the arms calm, controlled and close to the body. That will look a lot better than moving them robotically or flailing.
  5. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I mostly agree with fascination. Is that 'center', FAC??? :D

I don't what styles of dancing you are doing, but sometimes it requires some practice to make it natural if you feel awkward. ;)
  6. davedove

davedove Active Member

While you shouldn't "flail" your arms about, also don't let them fall limply at your side.
  7. akifennec

akifennec New Member

Thats where im having trouble trying to find that in between. Can someone explain a little bit more about the center thing Im not really grasping the idea
  8. jennyisdancing

9. akifennec

akifennec New Member

lol. I just thought there was more to it then just that and that girls wanted more than just that
  10. jennyisdancing

Okay, but it's a starting point. Also helps illustrate Fasc's point about connecting the arms to the center. As for what girls want, with club dancing I don't really expect a guy to do that much. Stay on beat, smile at me occasionally, don't flail around, that pretty much covers it. If you want to do more, search the threads for club dancing or for "grinding". And yes, hip-hop if you really want to learn some moves and look good in a club.
  11. akifennec

akifennec New Member

Ok thanks for all the help