General Dance Discussion > How to practice moves without videos?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by macbadoo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

So I'm in a pickle. I feel a lot more comfortable when my teacher records the routine of the day. But not every class gets the same privilege. So it got me wondering, how did dancers practiced dance moves without videos back in the day? It is not too long ago where cellphones were not equipped with cameras!

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Videos arenĀ“t helpful in all respects. They may help memorizing routines and complex sequences, but they do not offer information on the body work, the balance percentages, and leading impulses. So videos only are one means among others. Concerning your question, we used to wrote down notes, shorthands, or used labanotation.

By the way, there is a thread http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/how-should-i-take-notes.47695/

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much, yeah, we wrote stuff down. Also, practice what you learned as soon as you can to try and reinforce the neural pathways involved in that movement, commonly referred to as "muscle memory."
    I quite going to a salsa class when the instructor mostly taught "shine" routines. I'd been spoiled by country western line dancing where most dances have step sheets that spell everything out.
    (thinking of going to a weekly salsa event where they have a beginner lesson before the music starts)
    And, if you happen to be thinking about recording yourself to see how you are doing, we had mirrors back then!

4. vit

vit Active Member

In BR back then, we didn't have "routine of the day", whether it was dancesport or pure social dancing school. Number of new figures (moves) was relatively small and more point was on "correct execution" whatever that actually means. For that, videos are not of much help

Routines of the day and "inflation of moves" came later (for me), with salsa and WCS ... so did digital cameras and cell phones

However, quantity doesn't equal quality ...

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Original poster I thought you were asking how to practice without filming yourself.