General Dance Discussion > "I Can Dance; 4 Stories"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

A few years ago I was interviewed for a very small dvd that was being printed and inserted into a book, written by a pro-am gal named Lydia, called I Can Dance. It was about her experiences in the ballroom world.

After I was interviewed the producers and editors decided to expand the video and make a whole movie, called I Can Dance; Four Stories. There were 4 people chosen to be featured in this documentary. Myself, John Nymcheck, Lydia, and a cute very old pro-am woman named Matilda. My portion of the documentary focused on my move to Boston, my pro-am championship work with Cantski, as well as my work with the MIT Ballroom Team.

The documentary was made and then the movie stalled. And stalled. And stalled. However, now, some 2 years later PBS is picking up the movie and it will be broadcast starting this November. NH PBS will be starting and then it will move out from there. When I get the dates and times I will post them here.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Susan Pierson likes this.
  2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic! I can't wait to see this - please do keep us posted about when it will be on the air!

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Wow, great to hear this is back on track Larinda. Can't wait to see it!

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's actually happening, not just gone into the graveyard of great ideas. I didn't hear anything about it for so long, thought it was dust. Can't wait to see it.

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

This is very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing it (hopefully it will eventually be on DVDs in the library system since I don't have TV!).

6. BreAna

BreAna Member

this sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it!

7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I don't have TV either...but PBS can usually be downloaded or streamed live, for free, from their website. Or on their iPhone app. Options!

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

Excellent!!! Thank you for letting me know this!!!

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Ooh, I hope Indiana PBS (what I get around here) picks it up.

10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I'm assuming Boston PBS will broadcast it too? Because that sounds fantastic. Any movie about ballroom or dancing in general is fantastic. Please definitely let us know/keep us updated.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'll look forward to seeing it Larinda. Hope it shows on PBS here.

12. BreAna

BreAna Member

it was on in NH last night! my dad called me and was like "hey, guess what I'm watching?". of course, the place i left airs it first XD
    after watching it, my parents have decided to take up dance lessons again!

13. Spitfire

Oh darn, I missed it!

Good for your parents BreAna.

14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

its on boston PBS tomorrow, sat. 11/19, at 10 pm. I was just looking it up. :)

15. Spitfire

I'll check again, but don't see it scheduled here.

16. Larinda McRaven

Thanks for the heads up!

17. j_alexandra

<frustrated> not showing in NY, rats

18. Larinda McRaven

Call your local PBS station and request it. Not all are going to carry it.

19. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

I live in the Arlington, Virginia area and I called the local PBS station, and asked then if they were going to carry the documentary. She said that they don't have it listed-and they may not have the rights. However, she stated that there were two other PBS stations in the area-one near Baltimore and one at Howard University, and I could check with them. I called and got no answer. Maybe someone else knows if and when some of these stations might be showing the documentary. You would think that there would be a website that would show the dates and stations where the documentary would be shown-as I am sure many others would like to see it.

20. j_alexandra