Salsa > "I can follow anything you can lead"

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Jan 4, 2012.

1. basicarita

basicarita Member

You know what? The trouble I've found with that -- I'm a musician, so off-beat leads are just ARGH to me -- is that if you don't follow whatever weird thing they're doing, especially if you try to get back on beat, then you get accused of backleading.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmm, I would say that you lead then. I do have some people who will dance with me and then make the excuse that they are not used to following etc. I say if you don't want to follow lead and I will be happy to switch roles. :p You cannot have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So if I ever dance with you basicarita and you feel that I am off beat and wish to get back on beat offer to switch roles and I'll be happy to take you up on your offer in a heartbeat. And I am aware when I am dancing on1, on5 etc, but feel free to take license to respond to the music, which is why I make the offer. I have danced a song on clave as that is how my feet moved, switched in another song as that is what I felt...but if you ask me to dance on clave now I wouldn't be able to. My movement was in response to the song at that time.

4. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

As a famous, world class coach bellowed to his student "You have no choreography. *I* am your music!"

It is the leader's job to keep time. Some of us suck at it, but there you go. When the follower back-leads the timing, it doesn't make the dancing feel any better to either partner.