Swing Discussion Boards > I Can't Believe I'm Doing This . . .

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Uh . . . that's my line . . . guess they'll see the both of us???

2. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

It will certainly be fun to try and meet up with fellow Dfers there. We will be competing in the Novice category, and as part of a team. Our first time at a major competition. Infact, only our second competition ever. We competed in the OK Ks state contest last Year, pulling in a close last :D . It may have beenugly, but it was our baby. We had been dancing for only about 8 months, and put together our routine in seven. It was a blast, especially when it was over!

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Great . . . look forward to watching the team. I hope to start judging teams one of these days, as I started dancing via a C&W team and a Swing team. I told someone this before . . . just don't know who?

Last is no biggie . . . the only thing that you can do is go up.

Do you have a good choreographer? If you don't . . . some day you should try one. We had monthly dances, etc., to pay for the choreography.

I think we should all meet up . . . great idea . . . I've meet some really good DF people at events . . .

4. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

We did not feel badly about last. We were just happy to have completed our routine with no major mistakes or body fluid spills. My wife was uncertain if the either one wouold happen :lol: Our choreographer is our instructor. Is he good? Yeah, I think so. A bit dated, perhaps, but still way above my capabilities. Though my capabilities are more than they were!

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Sounds like you're doing it right. You have someone who knows what he is doing . . . outdated or not. Remember . . . you have a voice in what you.

I remember those days of all nerves . . . especially because we had two couples who couldn't remember a thing!!!!!!!!

Keep me posted . . . send me a video . . . I can critique it, and three close friends are already judges, and two of them were out coaches. They could critique it too.

6. Medira

Medira New Member

*grins* Ayup! Especially because I have until November to get myself back in shape...and I have 35lbs. of post-injury weight to get rid of.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I have a few suggestions though:

When you're running, throw in a couple of short (30 seconds - 1 minute) sprints. Ideally, you would do this every 5-9 minutes, depending on how long your run is. If you're running for half an hour, then I'd suggest doing the sprints closer to the five minute mark. As your run gets longer, the interval between sprints should also be longer.

Light weights are the only way to go in order to get the resistance training you want without bulking up. Normally when you're working with weights to increase your strength, you do 3/12-15 (3 sets of 12 - 15 reps each), however, with lighter weights, your muscles aren't being pushed as hard. 3/15 won't be enough to get you the results you'd like unless you have an insanely good metabolism. I'd suggest 3/20-25 (3 sets of 20 - 25 reps each). Start out at 20 reps and see how it feels. From there, you can work your way up to 25s. I would also suggest alternating between upper body weights one day and lower body the next: 3 days upper body (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, for example) and 3 days lower body (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday) with the 7th day off. It balances out the work and rest cycles for your body while still keeping the amount of exercise you're getting relatively even.

Crunches are all well and swell for working your upper abdominals, and that's about it. You're going to want to mix it up a bit so that you work your lower abs (the bottom muscles of the 6-pack) and obliques (the muscles down the sides that frame the 6-pack) as well. To work the lower abs when doing crunches, simply lift your hips up off of the ground. Your crunch will probably end up a little lower than normal as a result of it, but you will b targetting your lower abdominals no instead of just the uppers. Leg raises are an absolutely killer abdominal exercise. Lay flat on your back with your legs straight. Place your hands flat on the floor beside your hips (your arms should be straight). Keeping your legs together and straight, slowly (approx. 1 count of eight) lift your legs until they're vertical. Keeping the same pace, lower your legs back down, but don't let your heels touch the ground. Repeat about 15 times and don't forget to keep breathing. (You'd be surprised how many people forget that part :p)

I've found that a really great oblique exercise is ECS swivels (toe-heel). To modify this a bit for exercise purposes, try the swivels while placing your hands flat against a wall, shoulder-width apart.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Hope this helps!

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh yeah! I knew I forgot something...

Food-wise, it sounds good. I'd suggest keeping the meat in your diet, though scale the amount back. You'll need the protein. Make sure that any cuts of meat are lean and that the portions are a little bit smaller than the size of your fist. Whole grain breads are good in moderation. In the end, it's really all about balance. (which is why low/no carb diets have always ticked me off to no end :p)

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

HAHA! and Diet bunny! :lol:

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks for all of those tips . . . I printed this out. I can transfer them to my whiteboard at home, which has my schedule.

The reason that I do a lot of multi-grain stuff - and no white flour/sugar - is because I'm Type II diabetic, but I know I have a small daily amount.

Thanks for the help . . . got any suggestions to get the "willpower" to keep it going???

10. Medira

Medira New Member

Ooooh, that's good to know. Keep juice with you as well as water as you're starting out, just in case. I also forgot to mention to keep yourself well-hydrated during the day, even when you aren't exercising. It helps to keep your system flushed and feeling better. I find I drink about 2 litres of water a day. I keep a water bottle at my desk at work which I refill throughout the day.

As far as willpower goes, everybody is different, but personally, I find that music helps me. I put together custom music mixes that I have in the house, the car and my discman. When I toss one in the player, the music is upbeat enough that I have to move/dance along. I can't help it! It's at that point that I find it easier to convert that newfound spunk into an urge to go to the gym or to go to the pool. (I prefer to swim. I absolutely LOATHE running.) I find that the hardest times to motivate myself to go are the times when I'm feeling like a lump. The music has enough of an effect that it usually perks me up. :)

As far as numbers and measurements go, I'd suggest either weighing yourself or trying on the pants once every two weeks. It gives you time for your body to adjust to the new levels of exercise and for your metabolism to kick into gear. Two weeks also allows for a noticeable amount of change.

Set little goals that you'd like to accomplish. Whether it's working yourself up to the point where you can comfortably run for an extra 5 minutes by the end of the week or making a habit of drinking an extra glass of water a day, every little accomplishment will help to keep a positive focus on your training and reinforce that you're improving. Also, share these accomplishments with your lovely lady. Positive reinforcement from another person can also work wonders. :)

Don't look at this as a countdown to the competition date. That will put unnecessary pressure on you. Look at it as a lifestyle improvement and something that will benefit you in the long run. :)

11. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh, almost forgot. If you find that you've plateaued, which is completely natural and expected, mix things up a bit. Maybe increase your weights a bit, start on some slightly different exercises or maybe even take up swimming for a while instead of running. It will break your body out of the routine it's developing and settle you firmly back on the road to achieving your fitness goals. :)

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I have no will power anymore, although I was a notorius dieter when I was younger. Now I run. It is a lot easier to be strong for a one-hour run a day than to have to diet for 24 hours.

I admire your goals. I have no desire at all to enter any kind of competition. My dh and I are seriously thinking of going to our first dancing event next month. But just to dance for fun, attend workshops and watch the participants.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks for all the help . . . I will put your tips to action.

I gained these thirty pounds since I quit dancing . . . I know I won't lose them all, so my goals, even though I said 15-20 pounds, are probably more realistic at 10-15 in two months, as I know, by using the weights, that muscle is heavier than the fat. My body responds quickly to weightlifting. Quite a few years back, I was was pretty much into powerlifting, so I gain size "right now," and this I don't want to do . . . I like my clothes too much . . . well, other than my pants (the size of them)!!!

Music does help, but many times, when I'm working out and music is playing, I want to grab a guitar and start playing along with it.

14. chachachacat

I just saw this! Deal, except I don't do CW! Uck, yuck, never!
    All the other partner dances are fair game except hustle. I'm in the Hustle Haters Club. :tongue:

"We can dance if you want to..."

15. chachachacat

"The Oldsters Getting In Dance Shape" thread

I went to the workout room in our apt. complex today for the first time ever! And worked out!!! Whooohoooo!
    I can breathe better, I already feel a difference!
    The transformation begins.... :bouncy:

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I like it . . . a new forum . . . LMBO

Good for you . . .

Push . . . push . . . push . . . push them "puppies" up!!!

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hustle haters, unite!!! :lol: :lol: (Uhhh... no safety dance, either, please. :wink: :lol: )

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hustle Haters, eh?

Bet I can change both your minds!!!!!!!!

19. chachachacat

I'll give you the last 60 seconds of a really good song of my choice to change my mind about hustle. :lol:

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

As long as it's Hustleable!!!!!!!!!!!!