Swing Discussion Boards > I Can't Believe I'm Doing This . . .

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Jun 13, 2005.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

of courseable! of courserous! :D

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You give great wit!

3. chachachacat

:D Wow, Thank you! That's one of the nicest compliments I've ever received! And I like "hussleable."
    I just let my creative self out to play! :bouncy:

4. Medira

Medira New Member

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Let me know how it goes. :)

I know what you mean. I trained for three years in preparation for fitness competitions. It's amazing the difference between light weights and lots of reps vs. heavy weights and fewer reps. If you find you're bulking as opposed to toning, as a result of the lifting, go for a slightly lighter weight. There will be a little bit of bulking up, but not too much.

I gained 60lbs during a year and a half after a car accident. Most of the weight, I put on during an eight month period when I was essentially bedridden. It took a while for my metabolism to die down, but once it did, it was game over. I was cleared four months ago to start exercising again and since then I've lost 35lbs. I haven't really changed my diet much, but the dance has kicked my metabolism back into gear and working lightweight at the gym has helped to get em down relatively quickly, given the state I was in before. I still plan on dropping the remaining 25lbs, but there isn't as much pressure now since my back pain has stopped.

Another option is to find a friend who is also looking to get in shape, set mini-goals for yourself and then "race" and support each other to see who accomplishes that goal first. I'm doing this with a friend right now. My goal is to be able to fit comfortably into my favourite pair of pants again and hers is to be able to do the splits. I'm closer to winning than she is right now (I just need to trim down a bit in the thighs and I'm done) but she's still determined to win.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm doing just that . . . my 13 year-old still has his "baby fat," and we're having a contest between the two of us to lose weight by our birthdays.

He's 5' 10" and 168 pounds . . . yes, with that weight, he does workout and is on his way to becoming a black belt in MA by this time next year. But soccer season is coming in another month, as well, and he wants to be in shape, and I have that first comp in the same month as soccer starts. So-o-o-o-o . . .

If I win, he buys my guitar strings for the next year . . . if he wins, he gets an X-Box (he has a PS-1 and a PS-2 already). If we neither of us complete the task, we have to take his Mom (my wife) out to dinner at a place of her choice.

So, yes, I'm motivated . . . I hate to "lose."

I think this would be a great "sticky" thread to stick somewhere. Several of us (you included and cat) could be commited to posting their weight gain/loss tips, or just "what/how they're doing." Kinda of a support group?

But then again . . . we gotta mention how our dancing is improving as we get lighter on our feet!!!! We wouldn't want some moderator bugging us about not talking "dance stuff," you know???

6. Medira

Medira New Member

I'd be up for it! I have no problem with posting my weight numbers and progress and such. :) As for fitness tips and suggestions, well... *points to the long, verbose posts above*

Most of the weight I've lost so far, actually, has been as a result of dancing. :) I spend about 90% of my non-work time at the studio.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

So, you saying that you said it all already, eh?

That in itself is quite a bit of motivation . . . my wife would dance every night if only I'd get out there with her. She gets out there on our dance floor (built a cushioned dance floor in our third-car garage), even when it's over a hundred outside, and does her routines, isolations, etc.

I stay inside with the air conditioning . . . I'm no fool, but . . . I think I'm getting some motivation from you and others to get out there and dance.

I have a two-hour waltz private on Friday . . . my legs are starting to hold me up since I've begun the walking/running, and, as you suggested, adding the "wind sprints" this morning. I didn't get very far - probably a few hundred yards - if that! But the legs are feeling "GOOD."

8. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh goodness no! It was meant more as a statement of "I can talk lots and lots and lots and lots!" I have this habit, when talking and typing, of jumping into "open mouth, shut off brain" mode and just seeing what happens. :p

Hehehe, you know, you could work on isolations in the air conditioned house, as opposed to going out into the garage in 100 degree weather. ;) You just said it yourself though, get out and dance! Go with your wife and get that body going until it feels like jell-o! I'm sure she'll appreciate it and you'll get a fabulous cardio workout. :D Besides, it's much more fun than the other stuff. ;)

Hey, that's great to hear! It's a few hundred yards farther than you made it yesterday and every little bit counts! Keep it up and you'll start to see the improvement you're looking for, both in tone and endurance. The endurance part is the most important so that you don't look like you're dying on the dance floor. :p

As for me, tonight I'll be dancing for at least 3 hours. I'm going into the studio an hour early to get used to dancing a chacha with an instructor that I haven't danced with in months. Then I have two demos to do at a guest party at the studio: rumba and chacha. After that, I'll be doing a 45 minute group class and a 45 minute private lesson, then going out to dance salsa until I collapse.

So far this week, (starting from Sunday) I've lost something measurement-wise. I can tell in the way that my pants are fitting me around the thighs. It's encouraging! I still have a week and a half before the next time I weigh myself though, so I don't have any record of improvement numbers-wise.

9. chachachacat

Swingolder, I want to thank you for your inspiration!!!!
    "It's a lot easier to be strong for a one hour run(workout) than to have to diet 24 hours." Right on! It really got through to me!
    I was outside with the cat, and I just went into the weight room and started working out in my T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. Yes! I can be strong for an hour!
    And I feel better and better!!!Whoooo Hoooooo!

You and you sisters still look great! :D

10. chachachacat

Medira, YOU are SUCH an inspiration!!!!!! :!: :!:
    Wow! You've come back from so much! I really admire you!
    I want to be a dancing miracle, too, not just a survivor.

I've decided to take your advice, MWF upper body, TTS lower. I think just having a plan and a routine will carry me far. I used to have a personal trainer when I competed, so I do know how to use the weight machines, even though my excuse for years was that they were different machines, and I didn't know how to use them. Bosh! I bust myself! Bust out in dance moves!!!!! HA!

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wow, talk about stamina . . . you've definitely got it . . . you're an inspiration for all of us.
    You have Cat and me really motivated, and you put it in words so well . . . and that's whether or not your into the "open mouth, shut off brain" mode or not.

Please continue . . .

12. chachachacat

Progress report!
    I got dressed in my workout clothes, complete with Capezio T-shirt, and worked out! I did legs today because I did mostly upper body yesterday. I am proud of myself! I brought my yoga mat down and did my abs, too. It's helpful to work out in the workout room. Makes me feel all official!
    Then I walked farther than I usually walk. I GO! I GO! I GO! :banana:

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes, you do. You go girl! :D

14. chachachacat

Thank you! My boyfriend is very impressed, too!

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm also impressed . . .

16. chachachacat

Grazie, Vincenza. Here's my Tip of the Day for you - while working out, count in Italian!
    Easy, except for the "4 step:"
    uno due tre quattro,
    due due tre quattro,
    tre due tre quattro,
    Quattro due tre quattro, etc.
    up to venti. :lol:

17. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Thanks. It is tough sometimes tough to get out the door for a run but I'd rather do that than skip a meal or have to say no when someone brings in a box of doughnuts to work.

My sisters don't run, but one walks - rapidly - her hour a day and the other one has been playing tennis for years. (I still haven't been able to talk them into dance classes, though.) And a little (or a lot) of hair coloring keeps us blonds.

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I know what you mean . . . I work with an office full of women, and all of them love to bake and bring goodies to the office. THe hardest thing to say at that time is "no." But I do believe that they are seeing my results, and they are beginning to "see the other side."

That's funny . . . :lol:

19. Medira

Medira New Member

You guys are so sweet, thank you! :) I'm just glad I can help...and if I can help motivate, that's even better since it's harder to do.

CCCC - Congratulations on getting out to exercise again last night! That's fabulous! You're definitely not alone in being more responsive to a set routine. Most people are more successful when they have everything they plan to do scheduled out. It makes it harder to back out or put it off. You have it in you to reach your goals, I know it! We can be dancing miracles together! :D

Vince - I really am glad to help. You and Cat have been inspiring me to reach higher for my goals too! We can make it a team effort and work together. :) I find that it really helps to have support and group motivation works wonders. I fully believe we can do this!

Oooh, on the exercise and ab work train of thought, do either of you have access to a stability ball?

[​IMG]

...or exercise bands?

[​IMG]

Actually, I guess the better question is, what equipment and resources do you guys have access to?

20. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I'll send you my address, they can send me your share of the baked goodies.