Swing Discussion Boards > I Can't Believe I'm Doing This . . .

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Jun 13, 2005.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Medira- thanks for the encouragement! I have a yoga mat, 5 lb. weights, that's it. I have access to a workout room with weight machines, and a pool, (not really much of a swimmer...I used to use the pool for ballet exercises, though!)
    I don't trust those balls! I could fall off and hurt myself! :D

2. chachachacat

(whines) Mediiiira - I don't feeel like working out today. I'm tiiired, and the backs of my legs hurt. Can I have a day off? :(

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Support is key, and we can't let Cat have the day off . . .

I have: mats, a dance floor, a pool, a nearby jogging track, 450 pounds of free weights, the standard bench with leg attachments, two or three ab machines, one butt machine, and . . . well, you asked, I have the balls too!

4. Medira

Medira New Member

Come on Cat, you can make it! It's upper body tonight, remember? Once you get started, you'll find your energy! :)

Thanks for the info about what you guys have available to work with. I'll have more exercise suggestions soon. :)

I'm just finishing up some contract work, then heading out for an upper body workout tonight. I'm sticking with upper body mostly for the next little while and modifying my lower body workout after I strained a tendon in my foot last night. *shakefist* I'm hobbling around like a little old lady. Oh well...I'll take it slow to make sure it heals properly.

By the way...expect some water aerobics-style workouts. I worked for a number of years as an instructor (during the same time I was a trainer) and I've seen so many positive benefits that it's the best form of aerobic exercise I can recommend to anybody.

5. chachachacat

Sorry, guys, I took the day off! Too tired. Perhaps it would be wise with my heart condition to start slower, like 3x a week instead of 6.

Back to the weight room tomorrow!
    Good for you, Vince and Medira!

6. chachachacat

What? Surely not better than Ballroom Dancing, our favorite pastime!
    I hope your foot feels better soon.

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Eeep! Goodness, yes! I didn't know about the heart condition.

Maybe try 4 days - two days of upper body and two days of lower body to keep it even. Scale back on the cardio a bit and start working with lighter weights to ease into it a bit more.

8. Medira

Medira New Member

Water aerobics actually gives a good total body cardio and resistance training workout whereas ballroom is more cardio and leg work. The other stuff is still there, just not as much. I have more fun with ballroom though, so that is what will win me over when given the choice. :)

I went to the doctor about my foot and it seems that I've strained the posterior tibial tendon. It's the one that holds up the metatarsal arch of the foot (the main arch). So, I have to stay off of it as much as possible for the first couple of weeks so that I don't strain it more and cause a collapse. *grumbles* I will still keep my upper body workouts going and some lower body stuff as well (i.e. leg curls and such).

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

She had told me about me about a month or so ago . . . that's why I am excited for her to get herself going again . . .

Go Cat go, but go with ease and care!

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Whoa, both you and Cat need to take it easy, and get back to normal VERY SLOWLY. Let me know if I can help . . . with anything that I can do from here . . .

11. chachachacat

Omigod! I mentioned last night how I danced about 2 hours, salsa, West Coast and Merengue, plus a goodweight workout with dancing in between, (Dance Weekend thread) and more yesterday.
    I OVERDID IT! My heart was going crazy and I thought it was maybe heart attack time or hospital time!
    Fell asleep early at 10ish. woke up at 4 pm today! :!: 18 hours later, and I still didn't really feel like getting up.
    Well, I didn't have to go to the hospital, but it was nearly that bad. Sure could've used some oxygen!
    My SO was good last night but only checked on me ONCE today, briefly, to see if I was alive, but didn't even ask if I need anything! Boy am I pissed! I just got up.
    Maybe better talk to my cardiologist or electrophysiologist about this. Like they know how much is too much! I've been through this before, trying to get back in shape, overdoing it.
    I am bummed! :cry:

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. Hugs.

Yes. Talking to a medical person is probably the way to go, just find out whether what you're experiencing is a problem. 8)

I'm worried, though, so please check in and let me know how it goes when you talk to your doctor. PM me, if you don't want to go public.

13. chachachacat

Thanks, Pygitta!
    :friend:
    yeah, much as I hate going to to the ELP, I will have to call one of them tomorrow. :?

14. Medira

Medira New Member

Aww, thanks Vince. You're too sweet. :) This week is going to be my trial to see if I can modify my lower body workout enough to avoid a lot of foot and ankle use. I believe I can do it, but I don't want to say much until I test it out. I'm definitely not pushing the lower body stuff though.

How has your workout weekend been?

15. Medira

Medira New Member

Eek! Cat! *hugs tight* Slow it down a bit. Talk to your doctor and get his/her opinion as soon as possible. On nights that you're planning on going out to dance, maybe skip the weight workout and plan a rest day afterward if it's going to be a lot of dancing. Give yourself time to work back into it.

16. chachachacat

Thanks for the hug, Medira! You're right. In retrospect, I see I felt guilty for taking 2 days off, so I worked out Saturday and planned to go to this pool party afterwards - too ambitious, I guess!
    I never thought I would dance so much, really! The dancing spirit was so happy to be out to play that she went wild, I guess! You know how, when there's only one other person at an event where you can dance, but not many people are dancing, and then it's mostly rap or something, so that whenever there's a danceable tune, one of you runs for the other?
    Too much dancer's blood in a dancer's body that is not back in full-on dancing condition yet!!!!

Okay, hello. This is the hard part, people. Doing some but not too much!
    Especially with dancing! It's hard to go out dancing, then try to limit it. I can do it, I have done so in the past. You know, it's just when one of your favorite songs or dances comes on, you're up and dancing!
    You must dance.
    This is exactly what's great about this forum, besides all the fun, is that you all know what I mean by this, and maybe you have some suggestions. If anyone is still reading this thread besides Medira, Vince, Pyg, and me. :)

17. chachachacat

Medira, how is your foot doing? Are you taking it easy? Ice, rest, elevation? I hope you feel better soon!

And how is Vince doing? All busy with Father's Day I guess.
    Whaddup, vince?

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I am doing absolutely GREAT, and thank you for asking. This was the best weekend . . . beginning with private dance lessons Friday . . . then sticking around and watching helping in a beginner's class . . . Saturday was perfect, as was Sunday, albeit, this guy ate a little too much. After getting back home after an early church service . . . they laid out a huge breakfast . . . then at 4, we had a huge dinner. I think I put on everything that I worked so hard to lose last week . . .

But what the heck . . . no one would let me do anything except watch golf and the NBA (later in the day), and play guitar.

OK, enough of me. How are you feeling. Get that heart to settle down? YOu need to build up very slowly, but of course, you know this. Walking is probably the best thing that you can do right now - no weightlifting - or anything in your hands while walking, as "squeezing" something while you are walking increases pressure. So walk . . . walk . . . walk . . . gettting the stamina and strength up. Six months from now you'll be a totally different woman!

Please don't shake up Medire and I . . . we are quite concerned about what you wrote. So take it easy . . . take it slow . . . keep us posted. Daily, if need be. OK?

19. chachachacat

Hey Vince, glad you had a great weekend!
    Hey, Madira! How are you doing?
    I am doing much better!
    I sang for my actvity, so far. Godspell! That was fun!
    [Again, sorry to scare you! (see your PMs)
    Later!

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Glad you're feeling better, cccc. :friend: