Swing Discussion Boards > I just went to my first Swing Dance...

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by BenjaminT, Apr 1, 2012.

1. dancelike

dancelike New Member

Well, firstly, I'm surprised at hearing Swing dance. When seeing video clip, I found it like Jive in somehow. Read on the wiki, I note that this group (Swing Dance) is often extended to include West Coast Swing,East Coast Swing, Hand Dancing, Jive, Rock and Roll, elden Jive, and other dances developing in the 1940s and later.

In Vietnam, we are playing Jive and somewhat called 'Bebop' like a slow Swing. Music they often used to play was Modern Talking.

As a newbee came to the dancing club or dancing place (many years ago :) ), I felt ashamed. Perhaps for sever times, I couldn't do anything or dance right. However, when I overcome myself - my shyness, I could do that. Day by day, it's better.

That's a feeling I want to share: do not be shy, not care about other's attitude to your steps... Just do as you learnt. For others who're professional in dancing, you should encourage new bees, not slight or focus so much to his/her action which makes person unselfconfident.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

dancelike, welcome to Dance Forums!

There is much to learn about different styles of swing dancing (if you want to!), but that doesn't matter as much as doing it!

3. dancelike

dancelike New Member

Yeah, I think so. It quite depends on you and partner. If both feel ok, so that let's do :)

4. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Hi dancelike!

So do you do rockabilly jive? I'm wondering if that is the same as boogie woogie (another dance I have always wanted to learn!)?

5. dancelike

dancelike New Member

Ow, Hi Juwest333. Sorry for long delay to answer due to my work. Well, I play as an amateur, not good and also don't have much knowledge about it. Sorry for that :oops:

6. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

I'm enjoying the forum. Just started ballroom dance lessons. Swing is fun!

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Cool, Stan, welcome.