Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > "I Like to Watch" comments on DwtS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Laura, Jul 9, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Say what you will. There's a lot to be said for those old fashioned family-hour variety shows, IMO. 8)

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I enjoyed them! Carol Burnett, Sonny & Cher, :!: oh, there were so many.

3. pygmalion

Carol Burnett is on my list of all-time favorite comedy shows. 8)

4. Medira

Medira New Member

Amen to that! I'm just glad that they're releasing some of the old episodes on DVD now. :D

5. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

And the reunion show she did last year was really fantastic and got huge ratings.

But I can go back in time and remember the Ed Sullivan Show and Elvis's first appearence. Everybody showed up on Ed Sullivan!

6. Medira

Medira New Member

Actually, I believe they're releasing those on DVD as well....

I grew up watching all of those shows with my grandparents and still enjoy watching their old VHS tapes every once in a while.

7. pygmalion

Ed sullivan is just a fuzzy memory, for me, at best. But I do think that show deserves a lot of credit for shaping Amreican music and culture. Things probably wouldn't be the same, without "a really great show."

8. chachachacat

I remember the "really big shew" when the Beatles were on.
    8)

9. pygmalion

So do a couple of my siblings. 8) :D

10. Neil

Neil Member

OK, now your getting to shows that I liked.

I did sit through several episodes of The Lawrence Welk Show at my grandparents house. Do you remember his accent? "The boys and I will pee in your town soon." It never even occurred to me that knowing how to dance might be cool until I saw Saturday Night Fever. Even then, it wasn't an urge, just a passing thought. It was Michael Jackson in Thriller who really made me wish I could dance.

11. pygmalion

That's true. He did have a distinctive accent. 8) Hmm. It never occured to me at the time I was watching. 8) :)

12. chachachacat

All of our family did the Ed Sullivan impression, along with all of the comedian impersonators of then and now.

I'm really not as old as I sound. Just a precocious child, you know. :wink: