I thought it was arthritis .... but's a (easily-correctable) hip alignment problem

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Akita, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Akita

Akita Active Member

For several years I've had a gradual worsening of right hip/leg pain. From what I read and could discern from my symptoms, I assumed it was hip arthritis. Finally went to the doctor who diagnosed possible muscular imbalance and sent me to a physical therapist last week. The therapist gave me a complete physical. I was astonished when he finally said the problem was not the right hip (with the pain), but the LEFT hip which was rotating forward out of alignment and putting undue stress on the right hip. He said it's easily correctable and that he sees it all the time (he had just treated a fencer with the same problem.) He told me that years ago, the problem was not well understood (I think it's still not!) and painkillers and injections were the standard treatment for the afflicted hip.

I was amazed at how the pain virtually disappeared overnight once I started doing the exercises he prescribed. I saw him again today for the second time and he gave me more exercises and said my body is responding well. He believes the problem will be entirely gone by Nationals.

I really have to wonder how many people are walking around with hip/leg pain thinking it's arthritis or "old age", not realizing it's easily correctable. :)
    j_alexandra, cornutt, samina and 2 others like this.
  2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for sharing this.
  3. Akita

Akita Active Member

If you let the problem go long enough, it can lead to arthritis and other problems.

http://www.ccptr.org/articles/rebalancing-hip-muscles/

"
    Early in their treatment, patients with hip complaints and sports injuries should be started on appropriate and progressive rehabilitative programs that include muscle stretching and strengthening. (9) These rehab techniques are easy and accessible, since they do not require expensive equipment or great time commitments. It isn’t difficult to select the best exercise approach for each patient’s hip problem. A home exercise program which is closely monitored allows the doctor of chiropractic to provide rehabilitative care which is cost efficient and effective.
    Muscle alignment problems are frequently found in association with chronic and/or recurring hip imbalances. Therefore, patients must be screened for excessive leg length discrepancies and/or pronation. If these complicating factors are not recognized, the result will be frustrated patients who don’t respond to the balancing exercises, or who develop symptoms that vary in location due to the effects of the underlying biomechanical stress. Proper alignment of the lower extremities will lead to muscles that are strengthened and lengthened, and hip joints that work smoothly. Patients will be then be able to enjoy improved sports performance, as well as better mobility during daily activities."

(Note: I'm seeing a physical therapist, not a chiropracter.)

Similar experience (although I'd rather do the strengthening exercises than what she did): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Liz-years-pain--answer-hour-osteopathy.html
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My left hip is also rotated forward....which has lead to not only arthritis from years of abuse in that state... but eventually simply pulling my spine over leading to a full blown diagnosis of scoliosis.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have had a lot of body work done and also done physical therapy over the years because of issues of muscular and weight bearing compensation patterns due to past injuries, muscular imbalances, etc. As I've mentioned in the rolfing thread we have on DF, rolfing has been a major godsend for me.

I also have a hip that is rotated and higher than the other, and I also have a bit of scoliosis from the same. The work I've been doing with a rolfer is shifting my bones back in to correct alignment. It takes a while, but I'm going to have to keep at it if I want to keep dancing!!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to recommend rolfing to twin sis. Like a lot of girls, she developed scoliosis during puberty (at about age 12 IIRC.) It's very pronounced, in her case, and has led to a lot of secondary issues.

Right now, she uses chiropractic therapy. When she leaves a chiro session, she's generally 0.50 - 1 inch taller than when she starts.
  7. Akita

Akita Active Member

Update. It's called "myokinematic restoration repositioning". Two weeks of physical therapy so far, and what a huge difference - no more pain and I can move much freer. My posture is also better (duh!, how can you have good posture when one hip is rotated forward of the other?)

What's amazing is that I now know when my hips are out of alignment and can easily put them back into alignment with 10-15 seconds of walking a certain way (ie., between dances at a comp event!) The therapist says I just need to build up my muscles more so that the alignment automatically holds no matter what I'm doing. Another 3 weeks and I'll be done. I had to laugh when the therapist said, "It's not magic. No popping or cracking here. We're simply repositioning the body and strengthening certain muscles so that the body can do what's it's designed to do."
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I sometimes have "pain"/aching in my right hip. I will certainly keep this in mind if it gets anywhere near being chronic. (Funny, in a picture of me when I was 7, my right leg and arm are quite obviously longer than my left. Can't remember who my tailor was back then. There is still a difference, I think, but no where near as obvious.)
    I will always pick the
    approach