General Dance Discussion > I want to learn how to dance like ....

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Hamtaro, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hamtaro

Hamtaro New Member

USHER! i really want to learn his style of dancing in under three months, i live in sydney australia, and i really want to learn this, i have no clue how to do his dance, ive been practicing the moonwalk lately and i just need to practice it more to make it look good. :wink:

does anyone know some good teachers here in sydney australia that cud help me with my goal?
    or some good advice, and i want to kno wat is his style of dancing

2. Hamtaro

Hamtaro New Member

i searched and i thought it was hip hop and it is, but are theer any dance choreography that could teach me some hip hop dance for R&B music and other

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome Hamtaror!! :D Usher is an R&B artist, I think. Haven't seen any of his videos though to know what he dances. :(

You want to learn how to do hip hop to R&B music in general, to Usher's music? What exactly?

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I LOVE Usher!

I don't know of hip hop teachers in Sydney, although I'm sure there probably are some. Maybe one of the Dance Forums members from Australia can help.

If not, try googling "Wade Robson video." The search will point you to waderobsonfans, a website where you can view Wade robson video clips -- some cool hip hop stuff. Also, there's a video out there -- Darrin's Dance Grooves, which is a step by step instruction video for some hip hop moves.

At least, that's a place to start.

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome to the forums Hamtaro!! :D :D

Usher... Hmmm, he moves very well, he has the Micheal Jackson style for those who haven't seen him. I really think that you will have to get videos of him dancing and try to mimic that. No that many Hip Hop/R&B dancers manage to get the same style. It is a body movement thing rather than a stepping pattern thingy thingy. But if you have the determination you can definitely do it. Hey, has anyone mentioned Salsa yet? :wink: Ooops, hope I don't get jumped on for talking about salsa again. :D :D

Sorry, I don't know of anyone in Australia who can help you. :cry:

6. pygmalion

Good point, borikensalsero. I hadn't thought about music video. Usher's 8701 is available on DVD. Now THAT's a btter place to start.

Warning: Off topic. Borikensalsero is a heck of a long login name. But any abbrevation I can think of makes me blush. :oops: :lol: First, there's boriken (which means Puerto Rican, right?) So how can I call you"Puerto Rican"? Not! The there's salsero, which basically describes half the dance forums members. Then, when I go for the acronym, and ... uh ..., that doesn't work either. Care to suggest any alternatives? :lol: :lol:

7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

;) B................ S...................

8. Hamtaro

Hamtaro New Member

thanks guys for being so welcoming, yes i kno i jsut love usher,i dunno where he learns how to move like that. so shud i jut watch his music videos? cause ive been studying him, and he says "Studying. You have to study. It's not all about getting up there and just freelance. A lot of people can do it, but it also helps if you have an eye for what is hot and what will be hot. I've been studying people like Michael Jackson, Bobby Brown, Fred Astaire, and Gene Kelly. "

so im not sure how i shud get started, shud i jsut try to mimic his music video moves?

not to just ushers music, i want to be able to have the ability to dance to all kinds of R&B, and other music. its and interest that i just found

9. Sagitta

Welll....the most important thing, which I learnt from my own experience, is stick to music that you like. If you like it you'll get over the frustrations/obstacles that you encounter when learning to dance to it! That's why lindy/swing didn't work too well with me. See, that's why I like salsa. There's something about the music that just speaks to me. :)

As for learning there is more then one way of doing something. I learnt my first waltz steps through a video, swing at a class, contra at an event, salsa by first doing merengue etc at dances...If you like the moves that Usher does then by all means learn his moves, but put on some other music too and see which of those moves work for you and where. Notice that I didn't say mimic!! You see someone doing a shoulder roll. So you learn to do it, but you do it when you feel like doing it, and with your style/flava!! I often see something on the dance floor and use it myself!!

10. Hamtaro

Hamtaro New Member

are there any dance choreographers? who can help me. its so hard to copy thru their music videos cause they do it so fast.

11. Sagitta

Sorry! Not a choreographer!!

I find following along videos tough too!! That's why I use the slow and pause buttons!!! :)

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

lolol..

I like that B............ S......., wait, do the dots stand for fill in the blanks, or oriken alsero? :p

Makes you blush :?: Hmmm, now I wanna know what ideas you have. :D

Boriken is the indian name for Puerto Rico, it is spelled in a few diff ways... Boricua = puerto rican...
    As far as Suggestions, I wanna hear yours first. :D :D

Ok, Ok, Ok... How about BQN, that is the abbv to Boriken (Borinquen), My nick name in college was X. Litteraly the letter "X", they couldn't pronounce my name so, they started calling me X, thinking my name started with that letter, hence, I became x-man. :roll:

I gave two, and I think Pygmalion is due up for her suggestions. :tongue:

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hamatro, what I think you are saying is that you want to be your own dancer with usher-like style.

No-one can teach you the uniqness you search. You can learn steps, moves, etc, but what you look for must come from inside. Once you have the steps you like then you mold them to the music as you would. So, at first the only thing to do is look at the videos in slow motion and get the pattern down, once you have the patter down, search to make the move yours. By yours, I mean to do it like you want to do it, add what you want and when you want. At first is hard because you are looking to achieve a certain look, however, with time it will get easier and you will have found the hamtaro that wanted to dance but didn't know how to apply the moves to the music.

Best of luck, you can do it!

14. pygmalion

Actually, I was thinking Newyoricansalsero, but that's even longer. Then I thought "the poet" (come on admit it, everybody would know who I'm talking about :wink: :) )

X or xman -- nah. I hate it when lazy Americans don't at least try to pronounce people's names. So anything involving X is out.

So I guess I'll settle for BQN. Yeah. That works. :D

15. Sagitta

16. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hey, that sounds good to me too... :lol: :lol: The salsa BBQ.

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hmmm, the Poet, Hmmm, I actually had an discussion with my Lady Love about poetry. I told her that I didn't enjoy poetry or poems because, everyone who writes two incoherent sentences says they are poets... So, I decided to stay away from poems, and poetry, hoping not to become one of those guys. My lady tells me to shut up, because that is what I do Poetry. But I argue and say I write prose. :tongue:

18. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Welcome to the Forum Family, Hamtaro!

In regards to learning hip-hop dance, you may want to try learn at home videos or dance step sheets. Following is a link to the Choreography page of my website. Use the links to ieFit and Web Aerobics for more information on instructional videos: http://www.dancersdreamland.com/choreography.htm

Additionally, here is a link to a GREAT site with TONS of step sheets for jazz/hip hop dances: http://www.geocities.com/dancer_4ever_182/index.html

All the best!

19. Hamtaro

Hamtaro New Member

yes thankyou, borikensalsero is correct, i want to learn how to dance and stuff like usher style.... but can u suggest where to practice all these things cause it is so hard to practice them and develop my own moves with a small space in my room and on the carpet, it jsut feels really hard on carpet not a dance floor or something smooth

i watched the movie honey today , with that actress jessica alba, she is really good dancer and very sexc. but it seems the dancers must of practiced a lot, and wouldnt it be more effective for me to take dance classes so i wil improve quicker?

20. pygmalion

Ha! I found another hip hop dance resource. Google on Gregg Russell or bobrizzo.com to find more hip hop instructional videos. 8)