Ballroom Dance > IDS vs. Ray Rose vs. Aida Latin Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by azntwice, Aug 5, 2015.

1. azntwice

azntwice Member

I've noticed that IDS (International Dance Shoes) and Aida have recently been trying to get higher name brand recognition through sponsorships. I never thought of IDS as an elite Latin brand before, but they're sponsoring a few very good couples. I've tried Ray Rose and Aidas before and currently dance in Aidas, but wondering how dancers find IDS shoes.

My personal opinion is that Ray Rose and Aidas both have extremely balanced heels (I found the heels on Supadance too far back for my taste), but that I point better in Aidas, though I'm not sure why. Thoughts?

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I love the heel placement for balance on the Aida latin shoes. I used to dance in RR kalaharis and while i liked their heel placement, their slim heel is really thin and I often broke the heel (like it would snap in the middle, inside the satin). But I do love the slim Aida heel. I've noticed that IDS now has a latin shoe version that looks a lot like the Aida heel.

I've always felt that Aida's are the softest and break in the fastest, out of all the brands that i've tried. Maybe that's why you feel that you point better in them?

Recently I bought some Aida standard shoes (044, with S2 rounded toe shape, wide) as well. I have a wide foot and I need a rounder toe (much more comfortable for the bunion situation). LOVE. I actually only wore the standard shoes three times before wearing them at a competition, and I can't remember ever having a standard shoe that felt that good after only 3 wears.

The IDS wide standard shoe (single strap, round toe) is also a lot less wide than Aida (i have a pair... too narrow and tight for me, which I should get around to list for sale!). And that is the "Extra wide" fit.

Ray Rose "Rockslide" standard shoe (wide and round toe) are the closest in feel (IMO) to the Aida wide/round. I just looked on their website - they come in a slim heel now (they didn't before!). Anyway those two brands/styles feel very similar (strap placement aside), although with RR having a more open throat.

I previously was dancing in Supadance 1012's (wide).

On a side note, i have discovered:

-Ray rose standard flare heel covers will also work on Aida standard shoe flare heel.

-Supadance standard slim heel covers will work on IDS standard slim heels.

-IDS slim latin heel covers can work on Aida's, although there is a tiny bit of wiggle room that will rub away the satin. Can't really tell from far, and they have never fallen off, but in a pinch will work fine.

-when my next pair of aida standard shoes with slim heel comes in, i'll see if those supadance heel covers work (i have a couple boxes of those... LOL.... so fingers crossed).

My only dislike with Aida's is that I seem to destroy the strap... the satin seems to wear fast and get a bit shredded.

Leanna, scullystwin42 and lilies like this.
  3. lilies

lilies New Member

Thank you, Miss Silly. Your post is really helpful. Do you happen to know if Supadance contour heel covers work for Ray rose's Rockslide slim heel?

Is the fitting of the rockslide similar to Supadance 1012?

Also, when you danced in RR Kalaharis, did you feel any difference in the sizing between the RR Kalaharis and RR Carmen?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for a bunch of questions!

4. Miss Silly

Hahah no worries - i can't help you with some of those becuase I haven't tried everything (even though when you're finding "just the right shoe", it feels like you've tried everything! At least that's what my bank account says...)

The rockslides feel wider and with a rounder toe than Supadance 1012. More comfortable for the way my foot is shaped, but if for some reason i couldn't get those Aida's or Rockslides, i'd probably just go back to the Supadance 1012. Hopefully that won't ever happen though ;-P

The rockslide slim heel seems to be new - when I ordered them, they didn't have a slim option at the time (booo!). The only slim-heeled ray rose standard shoes were not rounded-toe, so i have never tried their slim heels for standard (so sorry, can't really help on that heel cover question).

I did try the RR Carmen and remember preferring the Kalaharies. It was quite a while ago, but what I remembered is that the toe straps felt so far back that I had a lot of toe length coming out the front. Like it was toes spewing out all over the place (does that make sense?) It felt a bit weird actually... like the flappy part beneath my toes wanted to roll up under neath my foot a lot. I didn't have good technique then, so that could be part of it hahahahha. I liked the squareness of the toe shape, but since Kalaharis also had a more square front, I preferred the fit of the straps... still thin enough to feel that it was a flexible shoe, but felt like it fit nicer on the foot in the toe area. So the while the sizing felt very similar, the strap situation really felt different between the two.

lilies and scullystwin42 like this.
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

now I reallllllly want Aida's, based on your descriptions, @Miss Silly

Miss Silly likes this.
  6. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

Aidas are the best!!! And I have tried them all ;)

Miss Silly likes this.
  7. lilies

lilies New Member

thank you @Miss Silly, you're awesome! I wish I could try as many things as you have, heh, but my bank account has already been complaining. I was considering trying Supadance standard shoes, because I like the look of the contour heel more than flare for standard. But it seems like supadance standard isn't as comfy as RR. Hmm... I probably have to wait till comp to try them on, but I'm so tempted to just get them already and pray for the best. On one hand, I'm so tempted to just get the shoes I feel pretty comfortable dancing in, on the other hand, I want to try them all before settling down, you know the feeling... what if and what if...

I almost got the Carmen but decided to get the Kalaharis instead! Yay. Thank you. I also think I like the Kalaharis' straps more.

Miss Silly likes this.
  8. Miss Silly

Glad to be helpful! LOL yeah it's tough going through that process of finding just the right brand, especially when you live in an area that doesn't have a place you can just go and try some on (I actually think most of us are in this boat LOL).

I've always loved the Aida latin shoe but when I saw that they have a 'new' rounded-toe shape for their standard, I thought I would try. And i'm still pretty amazed that I really found them that comfortable. Based on the shoes that i've tried and the shape of my food, i definitely feel that for me, they're as comfortable as a standard court shoe can get.

lilies, if you are wider in the foot, then Ray Rose standard shoes may be a better brand fit for you (instead of supadance, and definitely not IDS as they seem to run the most narrow). My only complaint (i forgot about until just now) is that they moved the arch a bit higher (towards the heel) at some point when I was buying them about 2 years ago. I still have that one pair that i'm going to use (i'm going to dye them red ;-P) but aside from that, they feel very close to the Aidas.

9. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

I have super high arches, normal width with a narrow heel(a literal pain!)..blisters are an normal occurrence but not with Aidas!!! Every other shoe has to have a heel pad. With the exception of one pair of freeds but I lost one and the style is not being made anymore :( I had one pair of Aidas that I wore until the heel broke! They were so floppy you could roll them up :) Yet still sooo comfy! Have a couple pair now...I wear Burjus also for salsa cause they look more like a street shoe. 4" heels but still very comfortable. The shoe journey is real :)

10. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

My Aidas wore a hole in the satin in the heel after only three months.

Miss Silly likes this.
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Miss Silly, Paoul court shoes work well for my wide feet. But based on your Aida description, I may try them. I note that Aida is vending at Empire this weekend; time for a field trip!

Sania and Miss Silly like this.
  12. Miss Silly

I've really wanted to try the Paoul brand... i never seemed to get the chance to get my hands on some. Although I think you can order from their site now?

13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Probably a cold comfort, but it appears Aida is addressing this issue in their newer designs: http:// www. aidadance. us/ collections/ women-latin/ products/ 072e

scullystwin42 likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Paoul was vending in Rimini at last month's Worlds; I suggested my partner to try some of their shoes because she has terrible blister problems with her current Supas. She bought a pair to try out. The sales woman told her she could order from their website, and gave her someone to contact regarding not having to pay the VAT.

Miss Silly likes this.
  15. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Sigh. I know, I saw these. I'm trying to decide what to do next: buy these new suede ones for practicing in? Do I buy these new suede ones for competitions only? (And how would that look on the floor?) Buy a brand new pair of Karinas for competitions only and just use the 3 month old pair for practice only? Sigh. For a $200 shoe I was really hoping not to need three or four pairs a year. I'm not a pro, for crying out loud! I guess I just expected the quality of the shoe would match its cost. I love everything else about the Karinas.

16. j_alexandra

I order directly from their website. Excellent customer service, fast shipping. No VAT, the website ordering takes it off when you give your address in the US.

Miss Silly likes this.
  17. j_alexandra

I tried these on yesterday. They felt great.

Miss Silly likes this.
  18. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I am by no means a rich woman, but that's what I did. I have my beloved Karinas in the tan satin and I have an identical pair in black that I use for lessons and practice. So that way, only the black pair takes the punishment and I have my nude pair preserved for competitions and showcases. I haven't gotten the heel cup scar yet (knock on wood), but at least I know when it happens I won't be SOL when competition time comes and I have to look correct.

19. Miss Silly

That's what I do too. I have a ratty old pair I use all the time, then the nice pair I only wear for comps.

20. jeff@DFI

jeff@DFI New Member

Have you tried Werner Kerns?

classydancer likes this.