Ballroom Dance > IDS vs. Ray Rose vs. Aida Latin Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by azntwice, Aug 5, 2015.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Yes, i returned them - I need to measure my feet and contact them about what size to buy. sigh.

2. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

3. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I was reading on one of the dance shoe sites that method of stretching shoes by putting a Ziploc bag of water in the shoes then putting them in the freezer so the water would freeze and expand....
    As my new ones are a bit snug around the front I was going to try this. Has anyone done this? If so, did it work?

4. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Haven't tried that. I wear new shoes with really thin socks, dampened with water. Just around the house for a while.

5. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Oh thanks, I will try that.

6. AHCook

AHCook New Member

Hi, Everyone!
    I am new here and to ballroom dancing but have COMPLETLY fallen in love with ballroom! I currently dance 2-4 hours a week, and I am in the process of finding the right shoes. I am looking to buy both a Latin pair and a Standard pair, but I am starting with Latin.
    I don't have a lot of options near me for quality shoes, but I was able to try on two different styles from Ray Rose.

The Gobi 840 Sport
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.30.57 PM.png
    The Raindrop 885.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.30.35 PM.png

I found them both to be narrow in the middle of my foot and quite unstable. The Gobi was very tight in the toes and my fifth toe would slip out with all of the room between the straps.

After reading this entire thread, I am now leaning towards Aida. Thank you, Miss Silly!
    Here is the pair I am thinking about trying.
    Rose (066E)
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.39.47 PM.png

My questions are:
    Does anyone have experience with this particular shoe?
    Any ideas on how the mesh will hold up considering what others have said about the Aida straps wearing out quickly?

Even if you can't answer my questions above, please feel free to share any advice with this newbie! TIA!

Miss Silly likes this.
  7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

It didn't work well for me. What i do is put on thick socks and then put on my shoes and blowdry them while they're on my feet, as I work them in.

8. Miss Silly

hahah @AHCook I swear I don't get kickbacks from Aida. I just like the shoe. Mostly LOL (the satin wear still gets me though!).

I haven't tried the mesh... i have big bunions and i've heard that the mesh doesn't stretch out much, which would be uncomfortable for me since I need that area of the shoe to stetch to the shape of my bunion. But it is possible that what is not ideal for me, would be great for someone else... especially if they didn't want that part to stretch.

I'm suspicious that it would be harder to point in a shoe like that, since the more the straps over the toes are, well, strappy, the more flexible that area is. HOWEVER this is something that at your stage in dancing, I don't think is a priority. Something a bit more stable and comfortable for your foot is priority. As you dance more, you'll start to discover what you'll want out of your shoe. :)

AHCook likes this.
  9. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

@AHCook I wear the model 66 and love them. I have wider feet and the mesh is more comfortable than straps and keeps my toes from falling out. I haven't noticed any issues with pointing as the end of the shoes are quite flexible and the mesh brings the straps back a little bit off the toes. You also can't see the mesh from the audience because of the colour so it looks like most other strap shoes.

AHCook and Miss Silly like this.
  10. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Miss Silly, Thank you so much for all your input! Thankfully I don't have to worry about bunions, but know people who do and it can be such a struggle to find comfortable shoes. :(

I will keep the flexibility in mind when making a decision. After 7 years of ballet training, comfort and fun are my current goals in ballroom. And learning the dances :joyful:

11. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Spookisgirl, That sounds exactly like what I want. It doesn't seem like you have had any problems with the mesh ripping either, which is great. What options did you go with? Size? Width? & Toe Box Shape?
    I am planning to call Aida before ordering, but I would love to hear what options you chose!

12. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

I wear 23.5 double wide, with round toe. I wear them so my toes are over the edge. I recently had to order new ones, in a lower heel due to knee issues, and since they offer triple wide I decided to go with them as I needed to do a lot of stretching in my old ones and hope to avoid that a bit. Haven't had any issues with the mesh ripping at all, and I find it very flexible and comfortable. If anything, the wear is in the ankle strap, but even that is manageable. Mine are two years old, but I only wear them for competition and the 2-3 weeks prior as I use a practice shoe with the same heel for regular training. I would contact aida--regardless of who you work with, they are awesome and helpful.

AHCook likes this.
  13. scullystwin42

Going to try the IDS shoes via internet order again. good feedback from the sales - @datitmarsh I am a 4 in IDS too! One day, it would be nice if the bloody shoe sizes could actually be standardized. And will try Aida's again at OSB. grrrrr.

14. Miss Silly

Ahhh LOL 7 years of ballet training! You'll have strong feet LOL. In that case, you probably can ignore what i said :p

AHCook likes this.
  15. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

After much trying on, and thoughts of attempting to stretch, I have decided to return mine. While the size 4 is perfect in length, I think I need a little more width in the strappy front.

16. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Spookisgirl, Sorry to hear about the knee issues, I know from personal experience how difficult that can be! Thank you for all the explanation, seriously super helpful!! Especially as I am trying to avoid that restocking fee ;) Fingers crossed the heel height and triple wide are better for you!

Spookisgirl likes this.
  17. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Miss Silly, Unfortunately not as strong as they used to be, but a few years of mostly sitting and studying will do that to you :rolleyes:
    And I truly appreciate all the advice! I just mentioned my years of ballet training because ballet can be quite uncomfortable, and I just want ballroom to be enjoyable and fun, not painful LOL.

18. scullystwin42

Which style did you get again?

19. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I got the Flavia. I If they just had a little bit more room in the front strappy part.... I am considering wearing them about the house with socks, to see if they will adapt just a tiny bit.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  20. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I can't speak to this style, but I know for my own shoes, if they're not a little too tight at first, they'll end up too loose once they're broken in and stretched out. (A lot too tight is another issue.) I always use a wooden shoe stretcher so my feet don't have to put up with the first really-too-tight stages. But of course you won't know what their ultimate fit will be until too late/too used to return, so it's a potentially expensive judgment call.