General Dance Discussion > If You Could Only Do One Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

If you had to give up every dance that you know and do except one which one would it be? :?:

For me a toss up between ECS and Cha- Cha. :?

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

WCS or Merenge.

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

SALSA! (no surprise there I guess...)

4. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

It would definitly be swing! (East Coast & Lindy)

Although I would hate to part with the nonsensical "need a midnight study break" and the "cleaning the apartment"-- not to mention the "I LOVE this song!!"

Those dances, while completely lacking in form and (I'm sure) any real aesthetic style have proven quite benefitial to me and still encapture somthing special (even though they are certainly not ment for the human eyes!!!!) :shock:

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

No question . . . it would be a WCSHustleChaWaltz . . . it's new dance that I'm working on . . .

Definitely the WCS!

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Swing Kitten,

I'm with you. My scenario for those nonsensical dances goes this way:
    1. Have a bummer of a day 2. Get two, count them, two glasses of red wine 3. Put on music that I love, preferably something that moves
    4. Dance like no one's watching, and hope that no one is :)

Oddly enough, around the middle of red wine #2, although my form is not aesthetically pleasing, my body takes over and I start getting some dance ideas that I can incorporate into real dancing later. Syncopations , especially, start popping up all over the place.

7. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hey you know what's funny is the other day I was dancing WCS with another teacher and it turned into cha cha and then into waltz..not sure how, but it sure was fun!! :lol:

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

MissAlyssa,
    Hey, somebody was peeking through my windows and caught me doing that dance, eh? I'm trying to enter it into the Olympics next year . . .
    "wait . . . . . ." I'm back to reality now!!!

I do that all the time - even in competition, and it always seem to be from another dance, usually ECS or Hustle, and I always go into a WCS.

I'm sure my dance "brain," is in-tune to WCS much more than the other dances . . . although I really like to Cha!

Has a lot to do with the music and move, I think???

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

If I could do one dance, I'd dance with Ginger Rogers in place of Fred Astaire in one of his films like Roberta.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

DanceMentor,
    Great answer . . wish I had come up with that one!

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Thanks, Vince!

How about this one?

I'd stand in for John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Now you're reaching . . .

You really can do all those dances, eh?

Careful how you answer that . . . I have a competition in Hotlanta next year . . . I may have to check it out!!!

If you can though, can you tell I'm a bit jealous??? Guess that's why I like the Hustle so much . . . it reminds of dancing in those days . . . (cough, cough), er, from watching the movie so many times!!!

14. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

SALSA no doubt whatsoever!!

15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Did not did not!

It's just that most music you can dance to more than one dance so you forget what you started with and end up somewhere totally different!! :lol:

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

MissAlyssa,

You probably have something there . . . we CAN dance many dances with the same music . . and probably, many of our common moves can be repeated in most of those dances . . . it only makes sense.

17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Hoo Boy!! I'd have to figure out how to combine EC Swing and Hustle, my two favorites! :D

18. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hmmm

Mambo... Has to do it... from sesuality to wild crazyness...

19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I would have to choose WCS at this point in time. If I had to give up dancing country, it would be very hard, but I'm getting more and more into WCS and the more you learn, the more there is to learn. It is always changing and you can incorporate a lot of your own personality into your dance, much more than you can in country 2-step. Plus you have big variety of music to choose from in WCS. Having said that, I can dance WCS everyday of the week, but then I NEED my country fix for balance! :)

20. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

dancergal, that is the most common dance we teach to our "country dancers". the country minded students seem to like it and catch on quickly.