General Dance Discussion > If You Could Only Do One Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Aug 25, 2003.

1. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

An excellent point!

2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

WCS, Hustle, Foxtrot, Intl Rumba! So, who ever said I could count : )

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

street style cha cha cha

4. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

I would want to be professional-good at Tango or Rumba!

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Tap of course... I admire ballet dancing from a distance :lol: (not born with the physique for that, Sigh! me doing the splits = hospital visit)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

open smooth waltz

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Viennese Waltz. Love the smoothness, love the music, love the whoosh.

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Argentine Waltz

w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=RWRCYIc3Hqo

9. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

International rumba.

10. LaWa

LaWa New Member

Slow waltz.
    I can't live without 3/4 timing.
    (Not sure what that says about me ;) )

11. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Foxtrot... I LOVE this dance and from what I'm seeing, at the more advanced levels it is very similar to the waltz, so "two for the price of one" ;-)

12. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

13. megeliz

megeliz Member

West Coast Swing - I'm effectively a one trick pony anyways...I dance some Lindy and Blues, but haven't actually been out to a dance for either since August. West Coast Swing satisfies all my dance needs.

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Poll ??

Is it possible to create a poll based on this thread?

Dances that have been mentioned until now are:

American Smooth Waltz, Boston
    American Two Step, Triple Step
    Argentine Tango
    Argentine Milonga
    Bachata
    Belly Dance
    Cajun Folk Dances, Zydeco
    Cha Cha Chá cubana, Cha Cha Chá street style
    Country Waltz
    Cumbia
    ECS, Jive
    Foxtrot
    Hip Hop
    Hustle, Disco Fox
    International Cha Cha
    International Rumba
    International Samba
    international Slow Waltz
    International Tango
    Lindy Hop
    Merengue
    Polka
    Quickstep
    Salsa
    Slow Foxtrot
    Tap Dance
    Vals Argentino, Argentine Waltz
    Viennese Waltz
    WCS

I was free to add Argentine Milonga to this list, and (forgive me) put Jive to ECS, and Boston to Smooth, and Triple Step to Two Step, and Disco Fox to Hustle. Please correct me, if it is not that suitable. Should dances be added, that were not yet mentioned, as Rock and Roll, Boogie Woogie, Zouk, Kizomba, Paso Doble, ... Don´t want to get into that never ending discussions on style and demarcation.

15. bd44

bd44 New Member

Salsa, Salsa, Salsa!

16. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

Veleta, Lilac Waltz, Fylde Waltz, Millitary Twostep, Boston Twostep, Britannia Saunter, Gainsborough Glide, Gavotte. Just a few Old Time dances to add to your list as well as perhaps the Gay Gordons. For me though it has to be any style of Argentine Tango!

17. Yana

Yana Member

Rumba! I would dance rumba until it was flawless and perfect. Then I would dance some more :)

18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

At this particular moment, because I miss it so much.....Quickstep!

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I would say cha cha cha at present...if I include dances I don't really know much of I would say that Argentine tango and wcs/blues would be up there as well, simply because of the improvisation/cretaivity/room to play that is there in those dances as well, as I find in cha cha cha.

20. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

If I could do only one dance, it would have to be a dance that I wouldn't get bored with after a short time. So it might be West Coast Swing, or possibly even waltz. But it's Mezosegi, a Hungarian dance. Each of the Hungarian dances I have learned has been refined over many years into a series of movements that can be done well by ordinary people. There are only half a dozen patterns along with a few variations in Mezosegi. But I have danced it for 45 minutes straight without getting bored. The same few moves, over and over, but they're such good moves that I'm happy to repeat them.

We often do a 10 or 15 minute version as a warm-up before Hungarian class, and sometimes we can get the dj to play one towards the end of an international folk dance party. But we get to dance the real thing (full length to a live band) only a few times a year at dance camp or when a band visits for a tanchaz, so it's a rare treat.