General Dance Discussion > If You Could Only Do One Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Aug 25, 2003.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Interesting, never heard of them before, can you tell where these dances come from? And at which occasions they are danced?

2. Laurie

Laurie New Member

At this time it might be Samba. Though for social dancing I think I would be fine with any Smooth dance.

3. tancos

tancos Active Member

While I agree that Mezosegi is a wonderful dance, if I could only do one dance it would be the Hungarian Kalotaszegi (Kalotaszeg is just west of Mezoseg in Transylvania). There are way more songs from that region, and the transitions between the figures are more graceful (obviously the result of centuries of evolution).

4. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

For now it would be the Rumba. Although I am pretty sure in the future I will change my decision and say Samba.

5. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF! I'm glad you finally decided to join in. Obviously I agree that Kalotaszegi is great, particularly when I dance with you.

I'm on DF for just a moment before going to breakfast ... we're in the midst of a family reunion and my time is limited, so I won't say more now.

But again, welcome.

6. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

I think waltz!

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At this moment, I think it would be the same for me... :cheers:

8. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

American style (smooth) Tango. Sadly, if I only did that I wouldn't find any place to go do it other than 2-3 times a night at a ballroom social.

Otherwise it'd be a toss-up between Lindy Hop and Cha-cha :)

9. mummsie

mummsie Member

These are English old Time dances. My favourite is the Gaynesborough Glide :) mummsie

10. Great good morning!

Oh, choosing one is no easy feet ;)! American tango and waltz . . . I feel so incredible doing both of them!

:kitty:

11. pbdc

pbdc New Member

Waltz has always been the most beautiful dance to me!

12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I love the waltz music!!!

13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Hokey Pokey. I mean, really, what if that is what it's all about?

Seriously, I'd go with Argentine tango. Not my strongest dance, but we have a boatload of AT clubs, venues, and a milonga or practica pretty much every night of the week around here. Also, one can dance a very nice dance with simple steps. (The purists might jump down my throat though about that. LOL!) And one can dance a tango, a milonga, or a vals, depending on the music.

Several ppl who used to dance ballroom here have gone to strictly AT.

14. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I'd have to go with the West Coast Swing. It's rather versatile, I've done the WCS to songs that are nominally:
    Cha Cha, Foxtrot, Hustle, Samba, and Polka.

15. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I know it as the Gainsborough Glide, and it has to be the silliest dance I've ever seen. I can't do it: these Classical Sequence dances require a very particular technique, and I've never acquired it, but it's wonderful!

So I'm with Nucat78 and the Argentine Tango - but I don't know of any purists that would argue with being able to dance a satisfying dance with simple steps. Tango is that dance, socially.

16. TAK

TAK Member

14 pages and only two people have said quickstep. It would absolutely be quickstep for me.

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

What I meant was that the "purists" would be apoplectic at the thought that anything in AT might be considered "simple". See also "tango hippy philosophy" or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbP0-mY2rQM&feature=related LOL!

18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

For someone whose passion was (and is) Int'l Standard....currently, my favorite dance is Int'l Cha Cha. Go figure! :)

19. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I wish I had been a ballet dancer. Given that I couldn't do it in this lifetime, I'll have to settle with waltz, the closest one, I'd say. I should tell you my favorite dance depends on the day. I keep changing moods, every now and then...

20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I thought for sure I had posted here before. I'd have to say waltz, just because the music has such versatility. It can be overjoyed, incredibly sad, and even furiously angry. There's such a range of expression in it that I don't quite see in the other dances.