I'm going over to the corner where the old people are

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Steve Pastor, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Ended up talking to a long time Bushwhackers regular, Carla, in the parking lot last night. With all the young people that have been showing up recently - the place is packed - it's pretty obvious that we long time regulars aren't young any more.

It was long time regular Bill who made that remark to me. "i'm going over to the corner where the old peple are." I've known Bill since before Bushwhackers. And I thought, Bill, awww, man...

Well, Carla told me a couple of things that warmed my heart. She grew up in north Dakota, and that's where she learned to do the schottische, but with the step, hop, not the step, brush. She learned it from her parents as a youngster. Reminded me that if you know where to look you will discover that house parties and community events where dances were handed down from generation to generation were common throughout rural areas. Texas got all the attention when "Urban Cowboy" came out, but most of the books from that era were NOT written in Texas as far as I can tell, and that style of dance was all over the place - if you knew where to look.

Carla also told me how the young women talk to her and say that they wish they could dance as well as she does. She tells them that they have to take the lessons, meaning the free classes taught before the dancing starts each night. And of course she laughs and talks about how it takes time, too.

I've been thinking for some time now that there may be similarities with Argentine Tango, where people travel to Buenos Aires to be able to dance with the milongueros. Of course, this being the US, our culture doesn't quite have the respect for more mature, experienced people as, for example, those with more of a Latin sensibility.
    And while I don't expect anyone to travel to Portland, Oregon to see old country western dancers, I've had many young women, who I assume are locals, tell me that they were there because they heard that it was a fun place.

I can tell you that after seeing the "old" dancers at Lo de Celia in Buenos Aires, I HAD to think, "old people are cool." Looks like more than one young person is thinking that about my friend Carla there at Bushwhackers.

pygmalion, fascination and Steven123 like this.
  2. Steven123

Steven123 Member

I've never even heard of schottische before, but I like your post. In the future I will probably be moving to a more gringo area, and I am looking forward to that time when there will be a lot of traditional gringo style dancing to practice. Sometimes it is a lot of fun dancing with some of the older ladies in the dances I know how to do at an okay level now.

pygmalion likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I can only say that Bushwhackers is truly impressive

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

pfft I got them everywhere here!!!:eek:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's awesome, Steve. Is anybody doing anything to preserve the "old ways" before that generation dies out?

6. Steve Pastor

Maybe you can understand why this might be a good place to share this.
    Great song, performance and video.
    I've spent a lot more time learning about the Town Hall Party and all, but this is classic.

And in answer to pymallion's question, I sometimes feel that even something simple like the redneck two step hand on the should thing, and the mixer dances that we used to do are just, gone. Well, if you don't like that we don't have to dance. So I feel like I have to give fair warning when I ask someone new to two step; which is why I don't do it much.

RiseNFall likes this.
  7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I know that this isn't the place for it, but I have to agree, and ask, perhaps even rhetorically, why this is so? It seems so counter-productive. You even begin with, "Of course", as if to say it is an expected norm.

Having lived there for a short, I have to, again, agree. :)

8. Steve Pastor

I would HATE to live in a tangent free environment.

A recent show on geology explained how farmers in the East depleted the soil with the tobacco crop that was very important when that part of the continent was being settled.
    No problem. There was lots of land out west.
    When Blacks moved to cities in the North during the Great Migration, they didn't want to hear the old country blues from back home.

When the Dust Bowl years came, people moved out to the then rather sparsely populated state of California.

Maybe that moving on, progress is our most important product, being reinvented by successive waves of immigration, needing to have and know how to use the most recent tech gadgets, is what produced and is producing our national character.

I may have written this somewhere else, but DJ at Bushwhackers this past week told me people actually have yelled at him when he played too many "old" songs.
    That's progress?