Country and Western > Improve Your Dancing

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Vince A, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Want a quick way to spice up your dancing? Listen to the music... Then dance to it. Almost every dancer has a favorite song but how many of us make our dancing mirror our feelings for that song? Most dance music has a bass or drum keeping things on time but listen to the singer and the rest of the instruments as well.

We all know about keeping our dancing on time with the music but just how strict should that be? To get a good idea of what works listen to a good Frank Sinatra recording. Does he sing on time? Watch a competition couple dance a polished choreographed routine. Are they dancing on perfect time? Go rent a Fred Astaire movie. Most of his dancing involved tap routines but watch his hands, head and facial expressions as well his feet.

Like good singing your dancing can flow around the music. Once you are comfortable enough with the dance try to experiment with this technique. If you take lessons ask your teacher about this added part of your dancing.

Learning a choreographed showcase dance can help with this concept.

This concept will be most visible in a Rhythm dances like Swing and West Coast Swing (WCS). Watch how an extremely fast movement is followed by a slow movement or a hesitation. Watch how the dancers mirror the flow of the music. That doesn't mean you need to get so far away from the music that your dance partner starts fighting for control. But start paying attention to where in that special song you can use that favorite dance move. If you don't count the phrasing of that good West-Coast Swing song listen to it again and count.

2. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

Excellent post!

I was commenting at the club this week that when you looked at the dance floor, I don't think most of the people realized there was even music playing! That isn't dancing

I don't think about dancing in terms of steps, patterns, moves, etc, etc. To me, dancing is live action art to music and that's how anyone watching you dance should feel.

3. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I am happy to see Frank Sinatra got on a Country and Western topic (but then as a big Sinatra fan, I am happy to see or hear him anywhere, I guess! And then I have to comment.)

Anyway, about the music, since most of the time, a particular dance venue will play a lot of the same music each week, it is easy to recognize particular pieces and particular favorites that shoud make the dancer, even us relative newcomers, enjoy the music. (yeah, play a Frank tune!)

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

My Mom was a big FS fan too!!! I have a bunch of his music, even old, old 78's . . .

My Mom, says that she actually danced to him singing live in NYC. She, by the way, was a two-time winner of the NY State Jitterbug contest - whatever that means!

5. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

The only time I got to see Sinatra, he was way past his best. But I knew that and still didn't want to miss the opportunity!

(At and least you didn't say that your GRANDMOTHER likes FS, which is what I get from some of the student workers I have come into my office!)

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Now that's too funny . . . LOL. Sorry . . .