Tango Argentino > Improving via dance colleagues

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by oldtangoguy, Nov 29, 2015.

1. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

Have any of you worked successfully with “dance colleagues”, where you and your partner collaborate with an other couple, taking turnes watching each other dance and providing mutual critique, in order to improve your dance?

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

My partner and I have done that, except there was no critique. It was more like a creative exchange.

oldtangoguy likes this.
  3. I have done it with another couple we are on good social terms with (not just dance, we go out as friends and do other activities as well).

By mutual agreement my girl is the best, he is the next best, his girl is next and I am the worst. So it a good learning process especially for me and for his girl.

4. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

I frequently practice with a man who is always able to give me immediately feedback. Sometimes his wife watches and provides additional insight.

5. Someday

Someday Member

Yes, I've tried very briefly and the results were too watered down with people trying to be 'careful' in their feedback. My more detailed response is below.

"Danger! Will Robinson. Danger!" (look up the reference if you don't know it). The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I see this fraught with danger of someone saying the wrong thing and offending the other person. If you were taking a class at a university and there was opportunity for critique, then I'd say yes. But in a social environment where you are friends and have to live with one another and still move within the social circle of each other's friends and acquaintances, then nope. So, if something is said or misunderstood, there may be no going back.

I have several friends in Tango, who I enjoy greatly as friends, but their style is not of my preference (show Tango moves ungainly done rather than doing a few small things well) or they don't have the time to put into it so they don't improve. To say something to them, even when they ask, is something to be handled carefully.

Anyways, I think that if I were looking for a critique, I would ask, first and foremost, an instructor in a private lesson. If that is not an option, then I'd ask a more skilled dancer in my class. I think I would separate my friendships from getting critical feedback. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I wouldn't go that way.

6. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

This actually captures what I'm interested in.

Ahh. I suspect you are absolutely correct. In a class at Uni where crit is part of the deal, that is indeed one thing, but I do see how egos might get in the way in an "unsupervised" environment.

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Only happened to me once, when random made it that two other pupils of my teacher's booked the same tango festival. Two boys taking turns on the one girl, with the watching boy expressing his views afterward. Not criticism really. More like, hey you kept it all very fluid and nice, or, you're still struggling on the giro with volcada, aren't you.