Salsa > In search of hardcore salsa music

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by genEus, Mar 22, 2006.

1. genEus

genEus New Member

So, over the last few months I've acquired a lot of semi-hardcore salsa music.

I consider softcore any modern salsa, and I believe it's largely undanceable. Then you have moderately hardcore, stuff like Tito Nieves, some of Oscar D'Leon, etc.

Semi-hardcore I believe is what I have a lot of: Fania albums, a lot of El Gran Combo, Ray Barretto, Willie Rosario, Spanish Harlem Orchestera, and so on and so forth. While some of this stuff is played at congresses, more often than not, watching video clips I hear amazing salsa music that I've never heard before!

After listening for hours to my collection, I have come to realize that a lot of the music that I have is not as "hard sounding" as I like or as is played by good DJs. So, can anyone recommend really hardcore, heavy salsa? Music in which you can achieve that salsa trance? Some examples of what I'm looking for is some Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz stuff (Grandes Exitos CD, favorite is Sonido Bestial), some Tito Puente songs, (but not those that sound like very old school mambo). I like Jimmy Bosch a lot too. Also, Cesta All Stars comes to mind.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? :)

Gracias!

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Try looking for descargas instead of Salsa. It is a type of music that was popular during the pre salsa era of the early 70s. Which is nothing more than wide open Jam Sessions ala alegre all stars. Musicians improvised for the duration of the song. Descargas are commonly mistaken as Salsa, but they could be of any form. They aren't as popular today, although you can still find them here and there by the likes of Bobby Valentin, SHO, Jimmy Bosch, Wayne Gorbea, Sonora PonceƱa, etc... usually today's hard hitters still throw a track or two there.

You can also check NY Style guaguanco's commonly referred to as "Salsa". This style that became know as the new sound called Salsa was popular from the early 60 to about 72. The rhythmic base is more involved so it makes the music sound "heavier" and more drawing.

By your examples, it seems that what you consider hardcore is fast paced Salsa such as:

La Pelota - Ray Barretto
    Timbalero - El Gran Combo
    Descarga - Bobby Valentin
    Miarame San Miguel - Brooklyn Sounds
    Libre Soy - Brooklyn Sounds
    Anabacoa - Groupo Folklroico Y Experimental Nuevayorquino
    El Cumbanchero - Ismael Rivera
    Mumbo Jumbo - Los Flamboyan
    Alabanciosa - Manny Oquendo
    Plante Bandera - Tommy Olivencia

The heavy hitters of Salsa aren't considered so by speed of their songs, rather the richness of the music, some of them are below. Of which Ray Barretto is very well on of them. Also take a look at Eddie Palmieri Stuff, he was always on the front of new stuff. Too was La Flamboyan...

Porque Adore - Los Flamboyan
    Tengo Un Tumba - Fuego 77
    Diferente - Fuego 77
    Avisale - La Muralla
    La Formula Triunfo - La Consagracion
    La Suerte - La Consagracion
    Maestro De KungFu - La Consagracion
    Colombia Te Canto - Eddie Palmieri
    Ajiaco Caliente - Eddie Palmieri
    Bilongo - Eddie Palmieri
    Los Cueros Me LLaman - Eddie Palmieri
    Mi Debilidad - Ismael Quintana
    Tambo - Ismael Quintana
    La China De Mi Barrio - Javier Vazquez
    Se Formo La Rumbantela - Javier Vazquez
    Silencio - La Conspiracion
    SERA - La Conspiracion
    Biribo - La Terrifica
    Sueltala - Larry Harlow
    Arsenio - Larry Harlow
    Ahi Na'Ma - La Differente

Bands that you may want to check out are: La Terrifica, La Conspiracion, La Protesta, La Conquistadora, La Conspiracion, La Capri, La Cabala, La Muralla, La Crema, get the hint? If you find a band with "La" in front of their name, check out their music! Don't forget La Tipica 73...

Hope that helps you some...

The list is from my head, so I might have mixed stuff that isn't really fast as fast or medium when it really is fast.

3. genEus

genEus New Member

So cool! Thanks a lot for the reply. I happened to have "Timbalero - El Gran Combo" at work - and no, that's not the stuff that I'm looking for. I got plenty of that. Also, speed has something to do with it, yes, but richness is more of what I'm going for. I'll listen to the Eddie Palmieri songs you mentioned since I think I have most of his popular music. But, except him and Larry Harlow I truly haven't heard of any of the "La" bands! :) The thing with Palmieri and Barretto is that outside of their strict salsa music, everything else is jazz and pretty much undanceable, that's why aside from "Salsa Caliente De Nu York" from Ray Barretto I can't find many other real salsa songs. I'll see if I can find the music you specified.

Thanks again for the detailed reply!!

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Although Ray has a great amount of Jazzy songs. He as well has a great number of Salsa tracks... Here is a list.

Mi Ritmo Te Llama
    Son Con Cuero Y Boogaloo
    Ahora Si - WEPA!!!!
    Prestame Tu Mujer
    No Me Paren La Salsa
    LLanto De Cocodrilo
    Indestructible
    Que Viva La Musica
    Fuerza Gigante
    El Diablo
    Alfia Cumaye
    Fiesta En El Bronx
    El Hijo De Obatala
    Guarare - Holy Smack! I love this song!
    Brunca Manigua
    Ay No
    Al Ver Sus Campos Lloro - =( Sad song.
    Invitacion Al Son
    Adelante Siempre
    Ban Ban Quere

5. genEus

genEus New Member

I did a search and found these songs on my computer apparently... You are right on!!! I'll make sure to find the other songs and bands you mentioned. Thanks for your help!

6. africana

africana New Member

wow I'll be looking up boriken's list next time i want to purchase cds! good stuff. I always forget the artist names after the djs tell me

geNus if the clips you're watching are from imambo.tv most times someone has posted the name of the artist and song title under the clip (or you can post and ask).

and from my few CDs, I think Alfredo de La Fey and Roberto Roena are great too

7. salsaverde

salsaverde New Member

Try Tito Puente's Top Percussion album - more afrocentric, and percussion and bass-heavy than a lot of salsa and a nice contrast to the mellowness of the old school mambo and cha-cha-cha's on Tito's Dance Mania record, which is another favourite of mine. Top Percussion is not easy listening though - well not for me - which is why I would classify it as "hardcore". probably not strictly salsa either. A lot of stuff released by Edie Palmieri in the 60s is pretty good as well.

8. genEus

genEus New Member

Here are some more examples of type of music that I'm looking for... And a lot of such music can be found on "Latin Spectrum" as well as "The Nuyorican Funk Experience" series of albums.

Cesta All Stars - El Quinto de Beethoven
    Har-You Percussion Group - Welcome to the Party
    Charlie Palmieri - Muneca
    Louie Ramirez - Botando Candela
    Hector Rivera y Su Orquesta - Tumba el quinto
    Tipica 73 - Balla que balla

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm...

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Cesta All Stars has a version of El Quinto De Beethoven? I'd love to hear it. Need to find it....

Did you really mean the name of la Tipica 73 song to be Balla que Balla? Or is it the one titled Baila que Baila.

With your taste you shouldn't have any problems finding great stuff!

11. genEus

genEus New Member

I'm assuming it's Baila que Baila - the album has it misspelled.

12. JackedSalseroNY

JackedSalseroNY New Member

Eddie Palmieri's "Conga Yambumba" "Justicia" and "Palo Pa Rumba" are as hardcore as Salsa songs get. Another awesome song is "Rumba a Los Santos" by Gilberto Santa Rosa.

13. Josh

Josh Active Member

This album may be "hardcore," but it's not the hardcore salsa genus is looking for I'm pretty sure. This is very african as you mention, mostly percussion (as the name implies), and from what I recall not danceable with any kind of mainstream salsa that we're used to. Cool to listen to if you're in the right mood, but not good club dancing music at all :)

14. Josh

Josh Active Member

One problem I have with these classic old school CDs is that I want to listen to the tracks first, but no online sites have samples. cduniverse.com has more than amazon.com, and mp3.com has even more samples, but they still don't have anywhere near enough...

15. genEus

genEus New Member

True! And a lot of these albums are like $20 each, but without samples I don't wanna pay that much money to just get a mystery CD...

16. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm reduced to hearing things first, figuring out the title, then tracking them down. an adventure.

17. africana

africana New Member

mmm nice imma haveta check that out :D bet it's a slammer for fast footwork :cool:

18. africana

africana New Member

if anyone can guarantee that any of these CDs never get club play, I'd be grateful.
    for me dancing is much more creative with unknown songs, that's why i dont own a lot of salsa music

19. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

I agree wholeheartedly!

20. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

I feel your pain!!! It's so hard to track down good salsa songs when you don't know spanish well enough. I hear good songs on the radio and when I dance all the time, but I have no idea what the names are or who the artists are. I only shop for salsa music in stores that let you preview the CD's because I don't want to buy a CD only to have few to no good songs on them.