Salsa > In search of hardcore salsa music

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by genEus, Mar 22, 2006.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Thanks for opening up my eyes RugKatta! My dumbness never allowed me to think of the spanish barrier.

Also, that truly sucks. Salsa music that mainstream stores carry are very limited, hence, you probably have listened to a lot of weak stuff, and very little of what you want to buy! I feel your pain!

2. africana

africana New Member

ok I love this album, I ordered it but it's afro-cuban santeria/yoruba. so unless you're into rumba and such you might not like it

3. salsaverde

salsaverde New Member

Josh I came across one of the tracks from the album - Elequana - which was being used as a warm-up/body isolation practise track in an On2 class. I can dance salsa to the first three tracks ( I have just lept out of bed to make sure), but it is more suited to solo dancing with rumba-type movement than salsa partner dancing. However, it broadened my musical horizons and I thought I would share that.

4. genEus

genEus New Member

Yeah I just looked and saw that I had this album on my computer - it's not what I was looking for in terms of "salsa dura" but it's interesting music nonetheless! :)

5. africana

africana New Member

so far I LOVE this album - geNus I can guarantee track 10 is as hardcore salsa as it gets: the master timbalero going off for an ENTIRE track! This is one of those songs that make me want to choreograph and perform a hard-hitting footwork intensive, afro-centric solo. hot hot hot!

I've enjoyed all the previous tracks so far cos the fit well for some afro-peruvian, congolese and of course afro-cuban/orisha dances. Excellent for practicing the rumba-ish body isolations

3 more songs to listen to, but I highly recommend this ;)

6. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm currently obsessed with one of the tracks mentioned in this thread - "Welcome to the Party." i heard it at a social this weekend - someone did a performance to it - and cannot get enough of it. the performance i saw was perfectly suited to the music - two really good male dancers putting their heads down and shining the heck out of themselves, side by side, for the entire track - and they kept my attention that long, which is rare.

i imagine anyone with any tenure in the salsa world has heard this song before but it's new to me, and i dig it.

7. ash88

ash88 New Member

The definitive performance to this song is Frankie Martinez's shines performance. Wow, he can move his footsies!

8. genEus

genEus New Member

yep. i love those syncopated breaks that happen every few iterations of the song.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

i can only imagine. wonder if there's a video anywhere.....

10. genEus

genEus New Member

Here's a video of the Latin Energy duo from Toronto performing to Welcome to the Party...

http://www.tosalsa.com/videogallery/videoclips/2006/060318sat_oscar_vanessa.wmv

Later on I was watching Oscar on the dance floor and I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen more energy radiate from a dancer! wow!

11. alemana

alemana New Member

thanks for that... that kind of dancing doesn't do much for me, but i did like her costume. i'm sure in a social context both are great dancers.

12. icering

icering New Member

I like El Gran Combo's music.

13. africana

africana New Member

ok finally got around to freestyling this track 10 ("Mon Ti") from Top Percussion
    here's a little something I call "Tribute to Genus' Search for HardCore Salsa" :raisebro:

I couldn't dance the whole thing cos I had just gotten home from running and was really tired heh (plus feet are tired from lastnight ;))
    anyways wanted to share the song :) I just couldn't do it justice on such low energy! some other time...

14. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

nice styling!!

15. alemana

alemana New Member

don't EVER put on heels again if they will impede you from doing stuff like that.

tremendous - natural, original, personal. brava.

16. africana

africana New Member

thx guys :) funny you should say that ale, but i have not worn flats in soooo long. needless to say I rarely do such fast shines for too long when social dancing (that song is 4-5 minutes long!)

But that's the sort of salsa I would listen to at home because no DJ would dare play that song in the club LOL so if anyone has more such CDs to recommend post away!

17. genEus

genEus New Member

Hey if we had even 20% people in the club that could dance to it like you did, I bet the DJ's would ;) But... they have to please us mere mortals... :p

18. africana

africana New Member

hehe but did you like the song??

19. genEus

genEus New Member

It's not something I would listen to on a normal basis, no. I have this album and I listened to it once from start to finish. This is not really what I had in mind when I started this thread though. I wouldn't call this "salsa" either. But you look fantastic in your clip though, as usual, thanks for sharing!!

20. africana

africana New Member

ok personal tastes...although now I really want to know what is "hardcore" ??

:shock: i beg ur pardon :eek: what do you consider "salsa"?
    "Mon Ti" is a timbale solo laid upon barebones mambo - it has the conga, the clave, and bass - all the components of tumbao. and that's really all a mamber@ needs, mambo tito-style
    wow...i feel like blashphemy has been committed :p