Event Announcements > Independence Day ball camp in VA/DC

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by cl5814, Mar 31, 2006.

1. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Dear Dancers,

We are excited to inform you that REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for the 2006 Independence Day Ball Dance Camp in Washington D.C.

Please visit our website at
    www.IndependenceDayBall.com to register for the camp or to purchase private lessons with our instructors. We encourage you to register and book your private lessons early, as both are expected to sell out quickly. We have arranged a special rate at the Hilton Arlington for those who are traveling from out of town.

As you know, Independence Day Ball Dance Camp offers World-Class instructors, including US & UK Champions and World & Blackpool Finalists. Independence Day Ball will provide you with a week of outstanding instruction.

The camp runs from July 1st to July 5th. Choose from 72 different workshops plus private lessons, lectures, and social dances to fill up each day with a high level of learning and fun!

Independence Day Ball will be held at the beautiful Hilton Arlington. Located directly above the Ballston Metro stop in Arlington, Virginia, the hotel is minutes away from Reagan National Airport and downtown Washington.

As a bonus, downtown Washington hosts America's largest fireworks display on the 4th of July. Seeing the fireworks in the Nation's Capital and spending the week dancing with champions are what make Independence Day Ball Dance Camp 2006 the prefect way to spend the holiday!

For more details, visit
    www.IndependenceDayBall.com.

Please feel free to contact us at contact@IndependenceDayBall.com with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Joe Wheeler & Ily Zislin
    Organizers

2. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Thank you for posting this. If anyone has questions about the Dance Camp, feel free to ask here or email us.

3. GeorgiaDancer06

GeorgiaDancer06 New Member

Are there any opportunities for Junior dancers at this camp?

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

High GeorgiaDancer06. Welcome and congrats on your first post. :D

5. GeorgiaDancer06

Thanks :) I've been visiting for a while and finally decided to post.

6. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

The camp is open to everyone. We do not have specific classes for Junior dancers. We welcome Junior dancers and are sure that they will benefit from the instruction but they will have to attend classes with the college students and adults alike. Hope this answers your question.

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

This is sooooo tempting! Going to NY for the MDC...wondering if I can somehow convince my husband that the kids *really* need to see DC as part of their history education ;)

8. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

It's the fireworks that are a must - and how can they miss the National Symphony Orchestra performance in front of the Capital :) If you decide to come, definitely do not forget to say hi! It would be nice to meet some folks from DF.

9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

:p Sounding better by the minute...maybe I'll just have to bring Grandma, too! These seminars sound terrific. I'm going to angle for it. And if I make it, I'll be sure to introduce myself.

10. GeorgiaDancer06

Do you recommend that dancers be at a certain level in order to attend?
    And I know that most of the classes are International style but many of the classes seem to be more based on styling, connection, etc. Would an American style dancer be ok in the classes?

Thank you for your help!

11. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

You are right, the camp is mostly International style - we did include a few classes on American style for several reasons:
    1) for those dancers who dance American style
    2) for those dancers who dance both International and American
    3) for International dancers to learn more about American style and it's influence on International style
    4) for variety since the days are very long and variety helps keep folks focused.

With that said, if you do dance some international style, I think you will be okay at the camp and will benefit since as you can see from the schedule, most classes deal with technique that is applicable for any level dancer from Championship level all the way down to Bronze.

12. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

late fee deadline, privates, and new instructors

Here are a few new and important announcements about the 2006 Independence Day Ball Dance Camp:

1) You must register before midnight on May 1 to avoid paying a late fee.

2) Private lessons are available with all our instructors and you DO NOT need to sign up for the camp to take private lessons - however, we do recommend that you book your privates online as some instructors may sell out.

3) We have added a special DanceSport Endurance class taught by Todd Borzych to get everyone warmed up in the mornings.

4) In addition to Todd Borzych, Lydia Petrigova has joined our already amazing staff.

For more details, visit
    www.IndependenceDayBall.com.

13. ShoutedWhispers

ShoutedWhispers New Member

Ily, I have a question for you, not dance related. I was in DC last year and discovered it impossible to be close to both the fireworks and the orchestra, and ended up somewhere in between with small fireworks and barely audible orchestra. So it seems you either sit close to the fireworks and listen to the radio... or you sit next to the orchestra and watch the fireworks from afar... Are there any other better solutions?

cheers,
    Whispers

14. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

They set off the fireworks near Lincoln memorial. I personally do not like being right next to where they may all the noise and ashes fall :) So I would go sit by the Capitol and listen to the concert. Also, a few times I've skipped the concert and watched the fireworks from the Iwo Jima memorial in Rosslyn - pretty cool view of the mall, etc

15. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm in Georgia, too. Welcome!
    (I'm in Atlanta)