Country and Western > Injuries...:(

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by AnnieMarie, Jul 16, 2004.

1. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Hi everybody,
    Well I am on in the injured reserve list this weekend. I was dancing last night, stepped on my heel wrong and went down like a sack of potatoes.

The ice pack, and the heat pack are now my best friends. Hopefully I wil lbe up and around again really soon.

Unfortunately, I have to reschedule 3 hours worth of private lessons now :(

I'm not dancing this weekend....arghhh...will I be able to stand it.

Anyone got good advice for surviving the injuries.

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Take it easy and don't rush things.

Ease back into dancing on your own, without a partner who could push you too far.

Dance first with partners you have explained things to and can trust.

Even when the injury is pretty much healed, wrapping a stretch bandage around it might provide a tiny bit of support, and a big visual reminder to others to handle you with care for the next week or two.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ann,
    Heed Chris' words . . . please do not rush, even if it means you don't dance in the next comp. There will always be another comp . . . I know two Pros who constantly are nursing old injuries that they did not allow to heal properly because they either "had students" or "needed the $$$," and not because they just "wanted to dance."

Take it from me too . . . a broken foot caused when a young lady right next to me executed a ronde and took me off of my feet, and then I sustained a broken first and second toe of my right foot this past March when a lead dancer flipped his follow in the air and she landed on my toes . . . it was partly my fault too! That injury is still healing . . .

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This sounds like good advice to me, from a phyisical perspective. If being away from dancing is driving you nuts, you can practice some upper body stuff while resting your ankle. Rib isolations, hand and arm styling are a few ideas. Or you can watch dance videos or critique video of yourself, if you have any. Whatever you do, stay off that foot. It seems like forever now, but it will be much better in the long run if you rest.

5. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Thanks you guys :)

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto what everyone else here has said. Rushing back too soon will only cost you more time in the end... :(

7. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Ann's Injury

Hi All.. she's taking good care of her injury.. I'm her close friend and dance partner. I'm in good company as I've given her the same advice.

We wanted to dance tonight however we're both out for the count until next week. Instead we spent the night reviewing the previous years dance event .. then I made her go home and take care of her injury.

WorkinOnIt

8. SDsalsaguy

Good man WorkinOnIt... and welcome to the Dance Forums too! :D

9. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Hey Workinonit,
    Thanks for looking out for me...even if I don't always appreciate it. You know how stubborn I am. ;) Me stubborn, noooo...not at all.

10. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Ann's Injury

.. Ann. go figure. lucky for you I care so much about you that I keep doing that whether you show your appreciation or not. That's what true companionship, love, loyalty and dance partnership is all about. Aside from that.. you're welcome. :wink:

11. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Welcome

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone.. much appreciated.

12. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Thought I would give an update. After a weekend with ice and heat the ankle is much, much, much better...and I'm the most rested I've been in a long time.

I am taking the next two weeks off from dance :( Not totally by choice but hey....this week to basically just stay off the ankle and not push it, and the following week I am on wedding duty for my friend.

I know it's all for the best. I am going to be so ready to dance when I can finally hit that floor again.

Ann

13. SDsalsaguy

Glad to hear the ankle's coming along Ann... and that you won't be rushing back onto it prematurely! :wink:

14. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Thanks SD...it's killing me to not dance though. Better this than to reinjure myself. I know, I know. That's what Ron keeps telling me. That's what everyone keeps telling me.

Ann

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

So . . . listen to everyone, and that includes yourself.

Good to hear that it's feeling better . . . :D

16. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Injuries - Ron & Ann

hey everyone,
    what Ann hasn't said is that neither one of us is able to dance now.. I was admitted into the VA Hosp over the weekend and had to undergo surgery Monday.. between both of us.. it's a offbeat comedy we didn't expect. we're both out for the rest of the week. We've been constant contact about it all. Last time we danced together was last Wed.. now we will not return together until the week after next. OMG!

Over the weekend.. I was stuck at home in recovery.. she was stuck at home nursing.. we work hard.. now we're out hard. Together we make quite the pair.

Ron aka WOI

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree . . . you two make quite the pair, but now both of you need time to heal . . . are you OK???

Hell, you're both young . . . there will be plenty of dancing ahead of you, but if you are not healed properly, you may cut that time down . . .

18. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Am I ok.. well.. in all honesty.. no. I wish I was. but I'm Workin On It.. and not to be sarcastic.. but I really am.. which is .. argh.. how I got this name..

Yes.. I understand and that is a damn good point.

19. SDsalsaguy

A complete and speedy recovery to you both... :(

20. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt New Member

Thanks SD..we both appreciate that.. now here's something for you all.. I took her out tonight for a little while.. neither of us in top form.. drove. Now, beleive it or not.. at one point during the night.. we parked and since I missed dancing with her I thought we'd try something new and different .. we tried to dance a little in the car.. after all.. it's all about the upperbody and ribs right? Well.. we tried a little 2Step, a little WCS, and a little Cha Cha..before you ask.. picture two people sitting in the car in frame with upper body motion.. guess which of them worked the best.. ? Yes.. we're a little crazy but what else is new? :lol: