Dancers Anonymous > Injury Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Take it easy SF - we all have to listen to the needs of our bodies. I find that I often forget - and then you get rudely awakened. Time for a bit of reflection maybe on your next moves?

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had a follow up appointment with my doctor last Friday. The fracture has healed sufficiently that I don't need a to wrap it anymore.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The cast on my left arm came off Friday and motion therapy is to follow. Missed last months dance and this months is looking questionable, just have to wait and see.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So people are improving? That's good. Not doing too well here...welll..

I got my MRI today. It was painful. The middle toe of the left foot was bothering me and I hd to keep still. Now the amazing thing is after the MRI I noticed that the swelling had gone down! And in 15 minutes pain of middle toe was gone. I actually could walk normally...The occasional vibration of they MRI and pressure keeping it in position seemed to do wonders. Of course that lasted for only a couple hours, BUT it was fantastic to actually see that the swelling can go down and if it does I am not bad...I had almost forgotten what it was like to walk normally. I have hope once again... :smile: Now the problem is how to replicate the MRI experience....hmmm...

Tomorrow will mark the end of my 5th week on the injury list. And the start of the 6th!

5. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Hey Sag, good to hear that it could improve. It may just be a matter of finding the right treatment to break the cycle of pain and let it recoup. Crossing my fingers for you!

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

jeez sadge...I am so sorry that this thing has persisted so long...sending healing vibes

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Adding my thoughts and energy to wishing you well, sadge...I think it was the magnetism that helped you. There are all kinds of magnetic aids to accelerate healing out there... I don't think they're expensive. Maybe google & buy one to see if it helps speed things up?

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon. :friend:

9. Spitfire

Hope it gets better sagitta so you can among other things dance again.

Start rehab on my arm tomorrow which has a radial head fracture, understand this therapy can be painful.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:friend:good luck with that spitfire

11. Spitfire

Hopefully there's truth to the term "no pain, no gain" and I'll be back to dancing shape quickly. :)

12. latervet1

latervet1 Member

so i broke my collarbone 3 1/2 weeks ago. it happened 2 days before i was supposed to leave for my first real comp so no go on that. I had a lot of stress with being out of town for other things and the orthopedic surgeon saying i might want to think about having surgery ( but not really giving me any good info). i eventually decided not to have surgery on it. it is starting to heal and i can not longer feel the bones clicking around. today, with alot of effort and pain) i actually raised my arm all the way up. until this it never occured to me to be thankful for that ability. I cant hold it there yet but im thinking 2 more weeks and i can get back to dancing at least with my pro (wont trust it for group classes for a while) i was thinking this might be a good time to take up argentine tango since i could leave my right arm down.
    it sucks not being able to dance. if it goes on much longer i will need a diet and a therapist

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good luck healing up, latervet!

14. Spitfire

Arm now in good enough shape for me to dance tomorrow night.

One of the therapists at the facility has the interesting name of Bonebrake.

15. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

That's quite a name to have in that profession. *grin*

Anyway, good to hear the arm is better. Do tread carefully with it, would hate to have a re-injury report from you here!!

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've got something that has been going on with my right ankle for the past month or so. On the outside of the ankle, underneath and behind the bone that sticks out of the side (what's that called?), I get a pain when I rise on the foot or step to the inside edge -- stepping to the inside edge of the big toe is the worst. It's not a cutting pain but a burning sensation. I can also feel it sometimes if I press on the ankle there.

My instructor thinks I may have a strained tendon. We've got a comp coming up this weekend, so for the past week I've been trying to baby it. I've been wearing either a bandage or a brace almost 24/7; I ice it every evening, and I've been trying to avoid activities that stress it. The funny thing is, once I dance on it for a bit, it stops hurting for a while. Then, when I stop, a few hours later the pain comes back. It doesn't bother me much in normal walking, but I feel it going up and down stairs. Needless to say, waltz is painful, until it gets to the point where it stops hurting for a while.

I have noticed that practically every pair of shoes I own, both street shoes and dancing shoes, have an edge that hits my ankle right where the pain is. There is no skin abrasion, though, and I don't feel like any of my shoes are tight on my ankles.

I will go see a doctor after the comp, but anyone want to take any guesses?

17. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I would probably make the same guess as your instructor. And it sounds like you're doing all of the right things for it. Have you been taking any anti-inflammatories as well? I personally can't take these, but they're always a good idea for weird pain like that. I also often find with many of my injuries that they hurt the least when I am all warmed up and moving around.

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

A lot of people have knee replacements and return to social dancing but has anyone here heard of a dancer having a knee replacement (partial or whole) and recovering well enough to do competitive dancing again?

txs

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I know a guy who has had both knees replaced, and he has since done some low-level comps and exhibitions. He says his dancing has actually improved since the operation.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats very heartening - I will pass it on. What level was he C?