Dancers Anonymous > Injury Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't know about Aleve, but I've been told that for really severe pain I could take up to 4 Advil and 2 Tylenol, but only rarely and only for really severe pain. I was told by an ER doc--for a kidney infection. FWIW.

2. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Anybody have any good ideas on how to have an ice pack ready to go after a three hour or so practice (2 hours practice/1 hour travel time and warm up)?

I've bought those single use ice packs that are actually some type of chemical reaction (usually an inner water bag you break that mixes with dry chemicals)....they're great, but 1) they don't last very long, and 2) are very expensive if you have to ice every time you dance!

I have a soft sided cooler and was thinking of using "blue ice" to keep a container full of ice cold enough to last for use after a couple of hours, but haven't tried that yet.

There is a 'frig/freezer at the studio, but is not for use by students (just teachers).

Does anybody else have any ideas?

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

This makes more sense... on a rare occasion for severe pain. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should be done for regular pain.

4. skwiggy

Could you ask them to make an exception?

5. latingal

I could, but the 'frig is in a locked room for staff and teachers - and that would mean I'd have to get a teacher or one of the staff to let me in everytime I needed to get ice or had to "make" ice. I also feel it would be an invasion of privacy for the teachers....it's the only place they can get away from being on "display" around the students and let their hair down.

This studio is really good to me, and they've been nice enough to make exceptions for me in the past....but I'm afraid this would be too much of an imposition. :(

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I'd go with the cooler of blue ice and then throw several bags of frozen veggies in there...works great as an ice pack...looks stupid but works great

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, this is borderline "Whining Thread" material. Everything pretty much hurts today except the right leg, so *it* will be holding the rest of my sorry body up today! I'm feeling a little *twinge* under the left kneecap. Not sure what that's all about. Started with the Advil. And like the stubborn girl that I am, will pop 2 more before my dance lessons this afternoon.

(I think we need a "gimpy" emoticon here...)

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I think this is a perfectly appropriate place to whine about such things. And I'll see if I can find "gimpy" for you ;) For now, this'll have to do:
    [​IMG]

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

and some days, you just feel like this:
    [​IMG]

Happy Autumn, everyone (though it's p*ssing rain here at the moment :()

10. Laura

Laura New Member

My feet are SORE today. Sore and achey. You'd think I'd walked 8 miles or something, but all I did was dance three rounds at a comp.

I have an idea about the ice: Why not bring a cooler along and stop some place near the studio to buy ice? Or just buy ice or frozen peas just after your session, so you can ice yourself on the way home?

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hmm... I like your idea better just cause I don't like Ibuprofen. So, thanks for the idea! I'll try that once I run out of my medince lol. ;)

12. LXC

LXC New Member

there's an article about teenage sports injury in the recent time magazine. one thing recommended is to have a 3-month break after the season. this may be a bit unrealistic for us dance addicts, but i'm thinking a 1-2 months break could be a good idea after training and competing intensively leading up to a major comp like the national.

anyway, i went to the body-sculpting class today but dumped down the lunges and squats etc. so far it's holding up fine.

13. mamboqueen

those pictures are a hoot, and123! I feel like that squirrel right about now!

14. latingal

Laura and fascination....thanks for the ideas about the ice pack. Going to try the cooler idea first! The frozen peas should earn me some great wise cracks from the studio denizens....*sigh - grin*

15. reb

reb Active Member

I'm thinking - frozen peas . . . that's a great idea for an ice pack. Why have I never thought of that before?! My freezer has room, I'll be hungry . . . !

16. mamboqueen

I feel like I got run over by a train. Just counting the minutes until I can take some more Advil. Methinks I need to slow things down a bit (but tell that to the brain of someone who feels ill-prepared for an upcoming competition). I went to a dance last night and a few leads were just not a good mix with my bad back. Luckily, I have p/t tonight, which I now seem to have developed an addiction for.

17. LXC

LXC New Member

mq, it sounds like you really need to give yourself a break. when is this comp and how important is it?

18. mamboqueen

It's in just under a month. Ehh...important, it's already paid for, so I'd be out a whole lot of money if I backed out at this point. I'll cut back on things....probably skip some lessons and practice, and just hope for the best. Obviously, it's not worth ending up in traction over...

19. skwiggy

I was addicted to PT for several months last year. When something gives you relief from constant pain, how can you not get addicted? :) I also got addicted to acupuncture, and I think that's more expensive than a narcotic addiction. :shock:

I used to put up with leads who hurt my back or caused other pain just to be nice. I've been through too many injuries to risk my precious and brittle body. So now, if someone is hurting me, I say something. I still try to be polite, but I definitely don't take it quietly just for the sake of social graces. I say something like... "could you please be a little gentler, I have a bad back and so I'm really sensitive". That takes the blame off of them, but usually makes them so careful that they stop hurting me. No leader wants to be the guy who hurts followers. Whenever I have made such a comment guys have been apologetic and instantly changed the way they were leading me.

20. mamboqueen

I did do that with a couple of guys I'm familiar with. Some of them like to make up their own moves and I just asked that they be a little careful. There was one guy I should have flat out refused; he has told people that he learns to dance by videos.....*oy* But, if I had been smart, I would have stayed home. But I'm not always smart ;) I was hoping to bump into the potential partner again, and I did. My dances with him were really great. Even my foxtrot! Gasp! I also had a good time with a guy who did International Tango. Made me want to sign right up. But, there's always the handful that just cause problems for me....and perhaps 6 months ago, it wouldn't have mattered much, but I'm feeling every bit my age today!

Thanks for listening. I hate to incessantly whine about this. I guess I figure that (a) misery loves company and (b) people who are going through (or have gone through) this can give me some psychological relief.