Dancers Anonymous > Injury Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'll second listening to music. But when I start to read, I'm prone to sliding off a moving object. Doesn't work for me, but that's because I'm struggling to read the little print on the book that's a foot in front of me. Music definitely helps pass the time.

So, I just ducked in the kitchen and did a little rumba. Bad girl!

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions and concern.

I used to do more yoga and Pilates based exercises in the past, but when I joined the gym in January phased those exercises out in favor of weight training. That was a mistake, I know now, and while I’ve lost 15 pounds as a result of going to the gym, along with watching what I eat, I’m experiencing more physical pain than I ever have. Who cares about being thinner if my back hurts like h-e-double-hockey-sticks? I’ll be revisiting the stretching exercises I know. I know about an 8 minute warm-up routine I learned from a teacher here in town that’s a lot of fun. I have treated myself to massages before, but not lately. Now seems like a good time and maybe I’ll try the hot stone therapy massage. In the meanwhile I’ll stock up on ibuprofen and Thermacare heat wraps.

I can only hope my new desk will be more ergonomic. The one I use at present is way too high, and sometimes I experience pain in my left shoulder and neck. I will also have a new ergonomic keyboard to use with the new desk when it comes. I already have a large flat screen monitor that I like a lot.

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Yeah, I can only read on the bike. But I get very absorbed when iI'm reading, so I hardly notice I'm exercising!

4. mamboqueen

You know, it just s*cks getting old, doesn't it??!!! :mad:

I had to give up step aeorbics last year because of nagging knee problems. I'm only doing very moderate weights (and haven't recently). You can still look darn good and be toned with yoga and pilates, though. Better to be healthy and toned than gimpy and cut, right??!! ;)

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. And I'm only 41. I'm thinking, is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? I figure I'm doomed already with back problems. My dad had osteo arthritis of the lower lumbar region, and took an early medical retirement from his employer. My mom has had three back surgeries, with the last being a spinal fusion.

Bring on the Caltrate.

6. mamboqueen

Geez...you must be my long lost sister....*sigh*

Let's meet up for some wheelchair dancing in 20 years, eh? :raisebro:

7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

New injury today. &*(&(*(&(&^$^$!!!

While walking through Linens 'n Things carrying a mirror, I walked right into a large dolly parked right in the middle of the main walkway. I fell down on top of the dolly, screaming in pain. I sat for several minutes collecting myself, only to have one person yell from across the store, "are you alright?". As soon as I collected myself and made my way to the register, I suggested to the floor manager on duty that someone should move the dolly out of the walkway before someone else got hurt.

The manager totally snapped at me, complained about not having time to move the dolly because he was busy helping customers, and rolled his eyes at me. I explained that I was suggesting that he move it now before some else got hurt. He just continued to raise his voice, gesture wildly and roll his eyes. Then he finally stormed off.

I am still in a lot of pain. He didn't even apologize, or say a single sympathetic word. I am furious. What happened to customer service? Not to mention this being an utter disregard for customer safety.

Sitting with ice on my shins. Hurts so much. Ow.

I'm so going to complain to corporate.

8. mamboqueen

I say: sue and have your dance lessons paid for the next 5 years.

That is really, really BAD. They should be showering you with gift cards.

Edit: And I hope you're okay ;)

9. skwiggy

I totally agree. Maybe corporate will do so for fear of a lawsuit. So so angry. :mad:

10. skwiggy

Thanks. :-/ Hopefully I will be and it's nothing serious. I'm sure it will at least be 2 huge nasty bruises though. :(

11. mamboqueen

Well, and I hope it trickles back to the store and the manager gets some sort of discipline. At the end of the day, it *shouldn't* happen to someone else. Same thing with an elderly person results in a hip replacement....

12. skwiggy

Yup. They were sooooooooo lucky I didn't break my neck. And I was honestly telling him to move it to prevent someone else from getting injured, but he just wrote me off as a whiny customer. If I have anything to say about it whatsoever, it will trickle back.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, call the corporate office and tell them what happened. They're lucky if you don't sue them.

14. LXC

LXC New Member

these cycling classes mimic the real thing (competitive cycling stuff). there's no tv in the room. nowhere to put any books on these bikes. the instructors change the resistence and speed every few minutes and we have to stay off the seat once in a while. my hamstring muscles (apparently weaker) definitely got a workout even though i did it for only 20 minutes. but i can't do it for an hour.

cycling is supposed to less stress for the knees.

15. LXC

LXC New Member

i think you should. and hope you get better soon.

16. skwiggy

I wrote an email to Guest Relations. I got a call from the floor manager who was so rude to me. He apologized and said he hadn't realized the severity of the situation, and offered for me to come in and he would give me 50% off of any one item of my choosing. Eh, I guess it's better than nothing.

It's a huge nasty bump and bruise on my leg, and it hurts. Fortunately though, it appears to only be surface damage.

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

So what's the most expensive item L&T sells?;)

I am glad it was just a nasty bruise and nothing serious:)

18. mamboqueen

Well, they have some pretty pricey pots 'n pans sets....probably a few hundred bucks.

They should have given her a gift card and not made her buy something. That's absurd. I think I'd still write a letter....to the president.

19. skwiggy

Been trying to find the president's name. Know where I can find it? :)

Yeah, I'm not really in the market for more home stuff right now. Purposely trying not to buy any. The mirror wasn't even for my house. Hmmm...

20. mamboqueen