Dancers Anonymous > Injury Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Thanks, MQ! But I called the manager and told him that money off a future purchase that required me to spend more money was not acceptable. He agreed to give me a gift card instead. The bruise still hurts, but the apology and improvement in customer service was nice. :)

I imagine someone smarter than him at corporate saw my email, and told him to do whatever he had to to make it go away.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Yup! It really costs them nothing to make a potential lawsuit go away...although you obviously aren't signing a release to get the gift card...but why not at least do the right thing? The worst thing that will happen is the person will put it behind them and patronize the store again. I just can't get over how bad some companies are with customer service.

Hopefully you'll be back to your normal (????) self soon ;)

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the gym in a couple of days, and today was the first day I woke up with no back pain. I've been doing walking and doing stretching exercises, which don't bother my back.

4. mamboqueen

I'm in the same boat, Purr. Have refrained from any activity (other than the mild exercises in pt) and am starting to feel pain-free. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both improve...although I am thinking Saturday afternoon, after lessons, will be Advil time again. :shock:

5. LXC

LXC New Member

wow, the support group really works 'cause my knees are improving too:)

but i'm going to rest for another week just to make sure i won't have any relapse again like last time.

6. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

My injury isn't really emotionally scarring me, but getting an elbow in the face and a laceration from it, including a big colourful shiner, sure makes the public look at me funny. If they thought my dancing was scandalous, this just tops it completely.

7. mamboqueen

Fighting over leads, are we??

Well, the good news is your will probably clear up in a week. Sorry about the elbow, though. That couldn't have felt very good :(

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I went and tried Bikram (hot) yoga for the first time, and it made me realize just how much scar tissue stiffness I have in my 'bad' ankle. I think I might be able to use the yoga practice to work on that. I'm going to go again in a day or two, I bought the "first timer's special" which is unlimited classes for the first week for $20 (otherwise, $15/class drop-in). So, if I go twice, I'm ahead of the game. :)

9. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Excellent idea. I would also consider a good chiropractor skilled in dealing with extremities. If your joint is pulling anything funny, the scar tissue will be very persistent because the tissue is constantly being re-inflamed or irritated. Make sure all the bone structure is solid and in the right place, mechanically functioning properly, and joined with the yoga, you should be on your way to gaining alot more mobility and comfort. Scar tissue does take a lot time to heal and go away, but if you're very consistent with taking care of that ankle, you should notice a lot of improvement in time. Good luck :)

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tell them you ran into a door.

11. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL, yeah. But if I do that, they'll think I'm lying to cover up marital abuse. Enough of the old ladies in the coffee shop already thought so.

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Foot injury

I've done something to my right foot. Last week, on Wednesday I noticed I had a bit of soreness in the ball of my right foot. It got somewhat worse on Thursday and Friday. We went dancing anyway Friday night; I did a bit of experimenting and figured I could still do smooth and swing -- dances that don't involve Cuban motion and so don't require applying pressure to the inside edge of the foot, which is what made it hurt. So I did a waltz, an ECS, a WCS, and a tango. It was getting a little more sore, but I was having fun, so I kept dancing. I did attempt a rumba, with very little Cuban motion. :shock:

Then I did another foxtrot, with one of the better dancers. She's a follow that I enjoy dancing smooth with because her technique is so good, and not that many guys ask her because she's an older lady, so I always make it a point to get several dances with her. Well, we got it cranked up, and on our third wall, I executed a pivot. That hurt like hell! Then I noticed that other things were starting to hurt. By the end of that dance, I couldn't do my rise and fall anymore because it hurt too much to get up on my right foot. I did one not-very-good WCS, stayed through the break, and left. When we left, I could barely walk out the door. I just couldn't put any weight at all on the ball of my right foot.

It has gotten worse over the weekend. The whole area around the ball of the foot and the joint of the big toe is swollen and purple. And the thing is, I don't really know how I did this. I haven't actually done much this week. I stubbed my toe Friday morning a week ago, and I kicked the top of my right foot that night trying to to a VW in dance sneakers. :rolleyes: But both of those incidents were over a week ago, and I didn't notice any pain until last Wednesday. And nothing seems to help much. Three Advils and a generous dose of Ben-Gay helps some, but not much. Ice, heat, and wrapping all seem to make it worse. I had it wrapped Saturday, and it hurt like hell by the end of the day. I tried to wrap it again before I went to bed, and I had to get up in the middle of the night and take it off because it was causing muscle spasms in my leg.

I'm contemplating going to a walk-in clinic tomorrow morning, instead of going to work. A doctor who practices there dances at our studio, so she knows something about taking care of dancers. My instructor thinks it's a stress fracture. :shock: I guess I'll find out.

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm pretty sure that I know what you did, because I had done the same thing. I jammed my big toe and from that everything hurt to where I couldn't walk out the door after dancing one night. My friend had to make sure I could get to my car. It didn't hurt to where you wanted to cry or anything, but I had felt as though I had done something more to it than that. But that's all I did to it, and now I still have a black and blue toe nail. It did hurt for a good couple of weeks, because my toe and part of my foot was so swollen. But I put ice packs on it like what I was told. I was going to go to the doctor's, because I could not walk on it, but I didn't end up going. I would suggest going if you don't feel as though it's gotten any better though. And let us know what you find out. I might be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me. ;)

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Went to Bikram again today, and kind of hated it. What got me though it was thinking of going for tea at my yoga-buddy's house afterwards.

But now that the sweat and aversion to hard work is gone, I'm finding the ankle seems a little less, well, fragile than it has been in the past. So that's my motivation to go again. A friend who teaches Bikram suggested I go 2 or 3 times a week.

15. cornutt

Thank you. That would be a relief if that's all it is. I think I'll wait and see how it feels in the morning. If it's not any better, I think I'll go to the doctor.

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh no problem. It just sounded like what I did is all. And just so you know in advance, your toe nail will eventually come off if it's black and blue like mine is. Yes a new one will grow back lol, but it's a very slow process. My toe right now is not the most attractive part of my body per say lol, but as a girl, I can wear nail polish to cover it up lol. But I wanted to warn you about that, because I was told this even though yes your case might be different.

17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey cornutt, I hope the foot is feeling better soon.

I would recommend going to the doctor and making sure everything is okay. If it's a stress fracture, you will defintely want to be off of it for a bit....

18. LXC

LXC New Member

ditto. i fractured my toe too once and it took days of rest and icing.

even though there's still occasion pain and discomfort, i think a lot of it could be muscle pain from all the leg exercises i've been doing. judging from the fact that my knees don't hurt as much after sitting at my desk for a couple hours straight, i think it's getting better.

dh's knees though seem much more precarious, one day the pain is minimum, and the next day, there's a sharp pain attact during work. we wrack our brains to isolate what he might have done to aggrevate it and cannot come up with a good theory. since the taping was not much help, the pt is going to try some medicated patch (from the vague description i got second hand) this week, a patch that only the pt can apply :confused:. he'll have his first appointment today so we'll see.

19. cornutt

Thanks. I went to the doctor today (a GP, but she dances, and she treats a lot of local dancers). She took X-rays and there is no fracture. She suspects it's gout. She gave me a couple of anti-inflammatory shots and told me to stay off of it for a couple of days. There is some lab work that will go out overnight, and she will have the results in the morning.

I've been reading up on gout on the Internet, and it seems to be diet-related, but my diet isn't typical of what they say usually causes gout. I eat red meat maybe twice a week; I don't eat shellfish, liver, scallops, or herring. And I do eat a pretty good amount of fruit, and I drink lots of water normally. The only thing I can figure is that last week I was taking a lot of aspirin because of some pain in my shoulder, and some of the material I've read says aspirin makes it worse. And I was taking aspirin over the weekend, because that's all we had in the house (we stayed at the house overnight Saturday). When we got back to the apartment yesterday evening, I took a triple Advil, and it was significantly better in a few hours. So I guess that explains that.

I've got a perscription for an anti-inflammatory, and more Advil, and ice packs. So I'll baby it for a few days, and we'll see how it goes.

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm glad that you found out what it was, and it wasn't what we had suspected lol. It just sounded exactly what had happened to me. But I'm glad that you are ok and are taking care of your foot properly. ;)