Insomniacs-R-Us-2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Dec 24, 2007.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Insomniacs-R-Us thread, part 2!!! The initial IRU thread got a bit unwieldy (i.e. was taking waaaaaaaaay too long to load due to its size) so we're continuing the IRU here, in its new home at IRU2! :cool:
  2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hi there SDG. Is it really thread length thats the loading problem? I get the impression that the whole of DF is seizing up. maybe its time for DF2?? :)

Oh, and merry christmas!
  3. SDsalsaguy

Both actually. There's clearly an issue with DF, but the longer threads are also problematic and IRU was the largest/longest active thread.

Thanks for the thought, but I happen to be Jewish. ;)
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Merry Christmas anyway - in the loosest sense of the phrase [by the way, I am also a jew by birth]

Why is it politically incorrect to wish someone well just because its not their particular belief? I also wish my christian and moslem friends happy channuka and I have yet to have any of those rejected....

Even more odd, there does not seem to be any rules against spreading grief...
  5. SDsalsaguy

A. I acknowledged the intent of your message via my use of an emoticon elisedance, did I not?

B. Factually speaking, "I wish you well" is not a translation of "Merry Christmas."

C. While I recognize that many people celebrate Christmas in a secular manner, the Christian connotations of Christmas are blatantly obvious.

A+B+C = my response of "Thanks for the thought, but I happen to be Jewish. :wink:" acknowledged the thought, thanked you for it, and merely pointed out that a Christian idiom was not applicable in my particular case.

I do not want to get into a religious debate with you (or anyone else) on this site, and indeed religion is one of those sensitive issues we try to stay clear of here on DF (politics being another). As much as a I personally find the hegemonic application of Christmas/Christianity as the holiday/standard for everyone on DF (including in messages posted by members and mods alike), I have respected the intent behind those messages and have not commented. If my voicing my own preferences for myself only constitute spreading grief,then I am forced to question if DF really is the type of community (a) that I have tried to help it become, (b) where I am even welcome, and (c) where I even want to be a member.
  6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It is way too late/early in the morning for a conversation like this. quiet both of you. :p
  7. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Goodness! :) I wish everyone well just the same! Now off to see what the rest of DF is up too...

Be well...
  8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

SDG: sorry if my response came accross as critical. Its just that for me MC is simply a statement of good will. Obviously that is not the case for everyone and I do respect that.

Season's Greetings and all the best for the holidays!
  9. meow

meow New Member

Thankyou SDS for the new IRU thread - I really wouldn't cope without it.;)

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays with family and friends - even just a few days off work.

The Australian Dancesport Championship telecast on Xmas night was a bit of a let down - the last few years they have shown the IDSF Adult semi's for both Latin and Standard - this year they didn't, so my kitten wasn't on TV for the first time in a few years. For me, that was OK as I did see lots of friends (and just people I know) on TV. But, in the whole 2 hour show there were only 2 Latin events shown - the Pro and Adult finals. I enjoy watching the Ballroom but I find New Vogue a little boring. But, I think that a little more Latin excites the general public more than loads of Ballroom so perhaps Dancesport may find the telecast didn't rate very well. And, as this is the only comp shown on TV here (other than cable) then it may not have inspired young people to the sport. I just think they should have balanced out the B and L a little more.
  10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

J- You are the backbone of DF!
    We love you!
    You are THE MOST WELCOME PERSON ON DF!!
    PLEASE don't even consider quitting! PLEASE!!! :(

We already lost the most helpful, wonderful, caring member, Pygmalion, we don't want to lose you, too!!!!!!!
  11. meow

meow New Member

I didn't know that Pygmalion was gone. Why, or shouldn't I ask?
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'm sorry I missed your comment first time around, SDSalsaguy. I don't remember Pygmalion, but we sure don't want to lose you. Please stick around.
  13. meow

meow New Member

IMHO, it is very easy to misunderstand the written word. One cannot 'see' or 'hear' expressions and tones so we can often misinterpret the actual meaning of what is being written.
    I consider the vast majority of DFers as really nice people. There are sometimes differing views which create debate, which is healthy and interesting. Very rarely have I noticed it become personal. When I have seen this in posts, I have felt it is mostly due to misunderstanding/misinterpreting the written words.
    When reading the above posts, I believe there was a misunderstanding, especially in the part quoted. As I was reading it, I did not take it as a comment on 'SDS spreading grief' or as being derogatory toward SDS; I understood it to be a general comment on how, in society, one must be careful with well-wishing terminology whereas one doesn't need to be careful when being nasty.:peace:
  14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Oh, help!! I did NOT, need I say it louder N+O+T+ mean that SDG was spreading greif - it was a general comment on The World.

And you are right, it is so easy for the written word to be misunderstood.

Oh, and let me add my unworthy it seems, and yet sincere hope that SDG stays around till, shall we say the third millenium????

We love you big guy.... really!
    ee
  15. meow

meow New Member

Hey, I knew what you meant ED. And, I add to the chorus for SDS not to leave. If anything, I wish he would visit us in IRUland more often.:D
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

True, we can always use more people in IRU. :)
  17. meow

meow New Member

Well, I'm here. Where is everyone else?
  18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'm just about to head out to grab some food, but I'll be back in a few. starting to track down pieces to buy my own tux (or have one made, rather), and sick of spendin gmoney/research for somethign I'll only wear a couple times a year. But those will mostly be dance related, so I figure I have to make the sacrifice. ;)
  19. meow

meow New Member

One must always sacrifice for dance.
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Yes, indeed. I always kill three chickens before each comp. Doesn't seem to do much good but I like them barbecued.