Dance Articles > Is Ballroom dancing expensive? (Article)

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Leonid Turetsky, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

9 percent of gross that is one typical economic benchmark

2. Mr 4 styles

Love third grade level dictionaries. Check out difference between.com subtlety explained well there

3. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

I didn't know the Oxford English Dictionary was considered a third grade level dictionary. Differencebetween.com doesn't really line up with what you're saying either about a car that cost $400,000 not being expensive. The only real difference it notes is that costly deals more with affordability rather than expensive which deals more with quality. Point still stands though, expensive means costing a lot of money— No matter what period of history you're talking about, $400,000 USD is a lot of money.

According to differencebetween.com the following sentence is okay:

Modifying that exact same sentence I can say, " I know that buying a lot of expensive ballroom lessons can be costly on your pocket."

Ballroom dancing can become an extremely expensive hobby but it doesn't have to.

4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm way beyond that in a typical year. That would barely cover the cost of 2 private lessons a week for me, so I guess if I was satisfied with absolutely no expenditures beyond my lessons (i.e. no events, no shoes/costumes, etc), I might be able to pull it off.

Yes, ballroom is expensive. I've known many people who quit because they could not continue to afford it even though they wanted to. And at least one who got a second job to continue affording it, and I've seen a couple cases of debt accumulation. And no, these folks were not out buying new luxury cars or handbags or taking expensive vacations the next week... these were middle and upper-middle class people, many of whom were not in the six-figure-household-annual-income range (or if they were, not by much). Unless you are buying an expensive new car every single year, or taking several vacations every single year, or you have an entire house filled with handbags and electronics, then these are not valid comparisons. The only other item I have sunk as much money into as ballroom is my mortgage. No other expense or accumulation of other "fun stuff" even comes close (and my spreadsheets prove it).

I didn't like the tone of the article. The general consensus on this forum is that it takes a lot of time and practice to achieve a satisfactory level in ballroom dance, which at some point is going to involve private lessons (not just group classes), and it's not going to happen for the cost of one or two Caribbean vacations every year. It is a significant financial sacrifice for folks who do not have unlimited piles of money sitting around, and those who do not - or cannot - make that sacrifice without seriously compromising the family finances are not just whiny excuse-makers.

novellsk8, wooh, debmc and 8 others like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

LMAO at the last line of the article.. so i could blow 2K in vegas or....

pay for.... half a comp!!! not even counting pro fees..

ballroom dancing and be expensive..and costly... the reason people do it ( competitive ballroom) is..

iTS friggin addictive!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Leonid Turetsky and IndyLady like this.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

It can be a matter of picking and choosing what brings you the most joy....and if we aren't uber wealthy....we can't do it all.

I just returned from an awesome 4 night trip to a Caribbean island. I stayed at a great resort, got spa treatments, fabulous meals, shopped, swam and gambled.....all for less than the cost of doing one style at a competition.

So...I guess according to the article, my priorities aren't in the right place...but as much as I love dance, I also want to have a balanced life and enjoy other things too, and I can't afford to do it all. It doesn't mean I'm not committed to dance, it just means that I recognize the value of having a well diversified life too.

danceronice, novellsk8, middy and 4 others like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the value it adds to your life....yes ballroom dancing is expensive and addictive, but if it adds some value to your life, which we all get to live only once, then it is worth it....I also look at the amount I spent last year on dance lessons, dresses, comp fees, pro fees, hotels, packages etc....but I did not feel I regret any of it. I got pictures that will last a lifetime and memories too that can't be replaced...I realize the question isn't whether it is worth it, but is it expensive, and my answer is yes it is expensive.

Loki likes this.
  8. IndyLady

I agree that it is expensive but worth it. However, I think you have to respect that each person comes to a different conclusion, based on their individual preferences and circumstances. The article was definitely looking down on people who ultimately decide that the cost of dance lessons is not worth it. I personally don't think having a fancy expensive luxury car is "worth it"... imagine an article scoffing at people who choose to drive a more modest vehicle but can somehow afford dance lessons.

wooh likes this.
  9. The article never scoffed at any people... I think its very easy spin words that never were written in the actual article... it was meant to inspire people to look at how much value Ballroom dancing brings to their lives... and was focused on figuring how important it is for them.

Usually when you feel something is very important to you, you will not consider it expensive. And yes in my opinion, "expensive" is not an absolute term, it is relative. The examples in the article never point out any life threatening examples of someone who should be not be eating to dance... It was comparing people spending money on something like a gadget instead of on dancing... Which again comes down to priorities.... Nothing wrong with it... maybe you do really need the GPS right now.

Spending money on dancing doesn't mean you have to be irresponsible either - and the article never suggested it if you read it. While this article could have been 10,000 words to express everything under the moon, it was ultra focused on one topic. It was actually meant to inspire those who are not dancing, to pick up dancing!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

That is the vibe I got from your article though. Before it was filled with stuff from the discussion in this thread it was really dismissive .

danceronice, IndyLady and snapdancer like this.
  11. IndyLady

It was not inspirational. It came off as condescending and dismissive. The message seemed to be, "Hey, don't whine about how expensive ballroom is when you can find money to spend on all this other stuff."

And to repeat, the cost of one gadget is not comparable to the much larger cost of ballroom over a long period of time. If I could only afford a GPS vs. one month of ballroom lessons, the GPS would be a better investment. One month of lessons is not very useful on its own.

And I completely disagree that "when you feel something is very important to you, you will not consider it expensive." I consider ballroom dance and daycare to be extremely expensive, but both are important to me and I plunk down the money. I've spent a lot of time mentally wrangling over how much I spend on ballroom. Maybe you mean "too expensive to bite the bullet and actually spend the money."

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right. I could have bought my first house every year for 8 years of my dance years. Does stopping that mean I no longer care about my dancing? no. It just means that I have other responsibilities as well.

novellsk8, IndyLady and Rhythmdancer like this.
  13. Lui

Lui Active Member

The German government has just sent the official minimum wage to about 9 $, but they seem to work on plenty exceptions to undergo this limit again, already. Fees, rent, food and clothes need to be bought, children to be supported.

Surely, dancing is not expensive rather cheap when compared to yachting, keeping horses or collecting art.

Nevertheless, I’ve seen little sales clerks, assembly line workers or garbage collectors among the dancing crowd. To those hard working people the article might appear to be some strange mix between arrogance and naivety.

IndyLady likes this.
  14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

The overall tone of the article is fine - that you have to consider what the value is to you. It's a personal choice. But yes, I agree that it assumes people have a decent amount of discretionary income. Most (or at least many) of us cannot casually blow $2K in Vegas.

Also, please remember that while the pro-am people often (but not always) have lots of money, there are many of us amateur/collegiate dancers that scrounge in order to support our hobby - taking a lesson a month, sleeping on people's floors at competitions, and so forth. Some might spend $500-$1000 per year, let alone per competition, and many spend much less. And many can still improve quickly because they find ways to do so on a budget.

It is an expensive hobby, but obviously we all find it worth our time and money.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Fun story- I did my budget (travel, entries, etc) for my ideal comps for the year and cringed that it totaled just over $2k for 6ish comps. Definitely not one of those folks casually dropping two grand on a Vegas weekend (even though I likely could afford to - if I didn't dance, that is).

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

im dropping 4 to 5 grand on a vegas weekend.....

vegas open challenge comp in march that is!!!!!!!!!

Sania, Rhythmdancer and IndyLady like this.
  17. IndyLady

Are you missing a zero, or is that $2K per comp? I've never been to a single comp for less than $3K.

Btw lol Mr. 4 Styles.

llamasarefuzzy and Mr 4 styles like this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Am/am only. And budgeting aggressively in terms of lodging and transit expenses.

Rhythmdancer and IndyLady like this.
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, I probably end up spending about 2-3k total per year on dance (unless I bought a new dress that year) Still been able to improve fairly rapidly (at least I like to think so). While it isn't as much as a lot of people spend, it is still a lot of money, and I totally understand how even that relatively modest expenditure could be seen as extravagant. .

Most likely I'll be starting pro-am next year, so I think I have a bit of expectation readjustment to do...

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

You most certainly do...the check I wrote for a modest number of entries at a local comp was still scary big.

Note: the $2k was just comps for me - I can't take a ton of time off to travel and there aren't good local options, so I end up spending a lot on airfare. And I also aim for about a private a week in each of two styles (either partnered or solo).