Salsa > Is It Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by PataSalada, Nov 1, 2012.

1. PataSalada

PataSalada New Member

I recently signed up for an introductory class for Salsa. Wanting to be somewhat prepared, I watched several Youtube basic lessons for beginners. Being a musician, the rhythms and basic steps were easy to follow (e.g. 1-2-3, 5-6-7 Patterns for basic, side-to-side, and cumbia steps).

The teacher is, however, teaching something totally different. Her steps are essentially on beats 1-3-5-7 of a 2 measure pattern.

Beginning with feet together, the steps go as follows: 1-(LF to Front) 3-(RF comes together with LF). 5-(RF to Back) 7-(LF comes together with RF).

Side pattern taught is: 1-(LF to Left Side) 3-(RF comes together with LF). 5-(RF to Right Side) 7-(LF comes together with RF).

When questioned, the teacher says this is a Cuban style Salsa, but I haven't been able to find anything like it. Although I intend to learn standard Salsa dancing, I may continue with a few more of these lessons since the steps are a bit slower and, at my advanced age, might make for a bit of time to rest when needed.

At any rate, I would greatly appreciate anyone who could explain if the pattern above has anything to do with Salsa. Thanks Loads, PataSalada

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ok, so about the two steps. 1 lf steps forward, 2 rf steps in place (so maybe in the two step version this is not noticeable), 3 feet together. This is the only possible explanation I can come up with. There is no 2 step version, even in Cuban salsa. And Cuban salsa is my favored dance style. I would not go back to this salsa class ever again.

3. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, PataSalada.
    At my most charitable, I'd say the teacher is trying to give the class something simplified from real Salsa. But I agree with Sagitta, I would not waste any more time on that class, you are better off with youtube videos.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi PataSalada. Welcome. :)

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The above,is a normal teaching strategy.. however.. the directional movements are un- orthodox ,to say the least.
    And, its not any form of Cuban style.
    More importantly, be sure you are learning a style that, is conducive to the area in which you live. The main ones.. Cross body , L.A, and N.Y.
    Cuban is taught in most major metro areas, but is not as high on the list. ( as it should be ! ) .

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

But he question was, if the said steps were a better access than the common short cuban basic. I find not, but perhaps there a different views.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Were not speaking about style here..but.. an accepted basic format that ,pretty much all agree upon. And, WHY would someone teach a variant, without introducing basic concepts ?.. probably, because they are truly not conversant with the style ?.

The whole point of the basic concept, for a beginner, is to be able to dance socially with " Like/kind " .
    Im not against variants ,in their due course .

There is one other poss. The poster has mis-understood the info, and posted a poor description ( its happened before )

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Would be interested if Pata tackled that teacher about the steps ;)

9. Simi-Lanjiao

Simi-Lanjiao Member

The side pattern does vaguely look like son though. LOL.

But that my take on it. I'm no salsa god here on DF.

Maybe the instructor was just trying to give the newbies a generic, basic idea of how to move to salsa music? Then after that she will start to teach the proper basics?

Anyway, I'd love to see what comes up in the follow-up classes. Keep us posted PataSalada!

10. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Not sure what that footwork correlates to, but it aint salsa!

11. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Oh and welcome to dance forums!