is it true that there are fewer male dancers than female ones

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by luh, Jul 2, 2005.

?

I'm

1. female

85.1%
  2. male

14.9%
  1. luh

luh Active Member

hi
    just out of curiousity, i was wondering if it's true, that there are more female dancers than male ones?
    please vote on it!
    luh
    EDIT: i forgot: everyone should be able to vote on this ;)
    EDIT2: pygmalion wanted to have a "not sure yet" option - sorry, - i can't edit the poll :?

Too bad that there have just 54 people voted yet.
    luh

2. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Re: is it true that there are less male dancers than female

It seems to me that at least in Helsinki there are more male dancers. Or at least there is always lack of female dancers. Maybe it's because when women don't find a male leader they start dancing with each other. Such behaviour should be forbidden ;-)

Furthermore, followers can dance with leaders of almost any level, wheras it is usually required that the leader be more advanced. Well, this is my opinion, feel free to disagree.

3. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Re: is it true that there are less male dancers than female

Yes. Which is why most men wait to be asked now in my neck of the woods. (The opinion of myself and other salseras)

4. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Man, I wish life was that easy here. :? (Charlotte, North Carolina.)

At our socials, men are usually outnumbered by about 20%.

I don't know what the scene is in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area, though—college territory, maybe the ratio's a bit less skewed?

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I find especially more male dancers in Salsa, but a few more ladies in Ballroom, and about even in Swing. That is my observation here in Atlanta.

6. luh

luh Active Member

@Ron Obvious
    i'm not happy about followers dancing with each other either. And afterwards they tell us we don't ask them for a dance. (though - those who complain are mainly beginners, the advanced ones often ask too)
    oh, and one fun thing happens here twice or three times during an event. There are 3 or 4 men, who don't mind dancing with other men. It's holarious. (btw, they are not gay, - all guys with girlfriend or wife). Makes beginners followers always angry, advanced ones don't care because they know that they'll get a dance too. ;)
    @ArtsySalsera
    is that a good or bad thing for you?
    @stiletto One
    outch, that sounds pretty bad. Don't you want to come over here? here it's pretty even.
    @DanceMentor
    that's interesting. do you have also an explanation for that?

in our (swing)scene, there are always enough leaders and followers, but in the leader section there are probably 30 % female leaders. (though - they also dance follower)
    luh

7. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Myself and other salseras were talking about this just last night.
    No, it's not a good thing. We don't get it as we are good dancers.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

here in NYC we are not in scarcity mode so i don't get the distress over leaders dancing with leaders and followers with followers.

*shrug*

i wish i had the patience to really learn how to lead, so that i could dance more with the people i really want to dance with - my female friends.

9. tacad

tacad New Member

I used to think there was a huge art to leading. But really if you just get your body moving first (which is proper technique anyway) , keep your frame still, that should be most of what you need. I'm really trying to work on that right now. It's amazing. One follow that I often waltz with just beamed when I did this for the first time. Even on Latin dances the principle should be the same but of course with the separations and dancing further apart it's different than waltz or foxtrot. The weird thing is keeping my arms still even if the follow is moving around with respect to my still frame because I want to compensate for them. But they seem to find their relative position and seem happier with the dance if I just maintain my frame.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

eh, i don't think it's a 'huge art.' just more than i have the patience for. considering i'm already doing so much dancing, i don't want to cut into that time for this.

anyway, don't want to hijack this thread. carry on.

11. chandra

chandra New Member

there are more female dancers in my town than males...

actually at recent socials there has been 1 guy, and 7 girls. That guy is in heaven, and all the gals know how to lead.

the best is when a girl leads, and a guy follows, or a guy and guy, but switching... IMO

12. lynn

lynn New Member

Of all the classes I've taken (AT, salsa, ballroom), there are always more followers than leaders. The ratio is probably 1:1.5 or 1:2.

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

In the salsa scene in Japan, there are far fewer male dancers. My friend is currently in a class with 10 women! How the heck do they learn how to follow? At the clubs/salsa parties I go to maybe the ratio is 1:10 or even greater.

14. tacad

tacad New Member

Cool. 8)

15. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my case it's I wish I had the extra time to learn but I'm already focusing on mambo styling right now. I think learning how to lead would certainly keep me dancing as much as I want to on any given night.

I've even had a girlfriend that wanted to dance so bad one night when a good song was played, she asked me did I know how to lead but she knows very well that I don't know how.
    The convo went like this:
    "You can lead right?"
    "No, I can't."
    "Really? Yes you can."
    "No, Really I can't".[​IMG]

We (salseras) see many men that know how to dance just standing around and we don't know what they're waiting for. [​IMG]
    It's sad sometimes. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I think that is often the case. I've heard women lament over there not being enough men present at dances.

17. lujan

lujan New Member

I find there are allways more women at scheduled dance nights, but often at the pub on a sunday, there is 4-5 men wanting to dance and maybe 2 girls turn up.

(note, my local pub is an Irish bar, that encourages dancing, and holds classes there on a weekly basis, and on sundays has a music session).

18. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

My wife and I just started with ballroom lessons. We've been to two group lessons, but no dances. At both group lessons, there were more men than women.

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with the lessons! At least you have a partner! 8)

20. luh

luh Active Member

welcome to df:D
    at ArtsySalsera:
    how about just asking them for a dance instead of waiting, that they ask you?

at chandra:
    true. That is really fun. I am such a bad follower, still pretty fun.:D

luh