General Dance Discussion > is it true that there are fewer male dancers than female ones

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by luh, Jul 2, 2005.

?

I'm

1. female

84.9%
  2. male

15.1%
  1. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Mostly I was pointing out that mingling or being single wasn't the same as being young. 50% singles among the older folks is still pretty substantial.

It is true, though, that around here, the west coast swing folks, while not necessarily "elderly", tend to be older than the tangueros by a decade or so. Both are substantially older than most of the ballroom crowd or the salsa crowd, though ballroom has a pretty big age range.

Your assessment of how much mixing each community has is consistent with what I've observed.

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Interesting...in my area, average ages break down this way (ranked oldest to youngest)

Ballroom
    Argentine Tango
    West Coast Swing
    Salsa
    Lindy

So, with ballroom and AT, you have a combination of older average age, plus demographically fewer men in that age group to begin with, plus the perception that ballroom and AT are more "couples" type of dances, thus the perfect storm for a big surplus of followers.

On the other end, salsa and Lindy get a lot of young people, and more men, but sometimes the younger and older dancers don't mix very much. WCS overall seems to get a good balance of age range, demographics and social interaction. Yet it is probably the least known and least popular of the dance forms I listed. :(

3. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I note that the poll results show slightly more male dancers. I wonder how to reconcile that with the general perception that there are more women dancing.

4. Dots

Dots Active Member

The poll reflects those who are dancers, have a computer, have an internet connection and found the forum ;)

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Still find that it is the other way round: more men (exception: Berlin AT scene) :(

6. opendoor

Re: Interesting

Apart from the fact that there is no namable WCS scene in Hamburg, I come to this age ranking (oldest to youngest):

DiscoFox (=kind of Hustle)
    TA
    BR
    Salsa
    Lindy

But, the tango scene is splitted: within the independent milonga scene (with the surplus of men) singles prevail. The class and studio-bound scene is much younger, and couples prevail. DiscoFox is the most "elderly" dance because besides the Hustle-orientated wing there is a fluent passage to a more country and folk like dancing on the other hand, comparable to what I believe your american 2step serves for.

7. TangoTricia

TangoTricia New Member

Hamburg sounds great :) It also helps that I grew up there, some <ahem> years ago. How would I best track AT events there, is there an event calendar?

8. opendoor

9. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Here in the Phoenix area I have never been to ballroom dance lessons where there were more women than men. My observation covers different days of the week and different studios. Once the dances begin there are plenty of men but the women tend to only dance with the men who are good leads.

At certain night clubs there are definitely women waiting around looking to dance but not the ballrooms.

It's important to note that I have only been taking lessons for a couple of months so things may have been different in the past.

So, I think the more accurate statement is that there is a shortage of men that women want to dance with because there most men don't meet their expectations of being good leads.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't see that...I generally accept from anyone who asks as i think is the case for most women

11. jennyisdancing

Agreed....and for what it's worth, sure, there are few (not most) women who will only dance with excellent partners...but I have equally seen this with some of the men. I know of a couple venues where there is a decent number of men, but some of those men choose to sit around most of the time waiting to dance with the top two or three ladies, and they won't ask beginner or intermediate ladies to dance. Not surprisingly, those places have an unfriendly atmosphere and I tend to avoid them.

By contrast, one of my local venues is very friendly. There were a few beginners and they were warmly welcomed by the hosts, and some of the experienced folks asked them to dance. That was so nice. :D

12. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

I wasn't sure how to vote, because I have seen this happen:

Newcomer and lower bronze levels, up to Associate: More Women
    Higher bronze levels/Full Bronze: More Men
    Silver: More Women

At first, most ladies are happy to dance and are enthusiastic, and most gentlemen (with obvious exceptions, most of whom are probably on DF) are reluctant or have to be dragged onto the dance floor by the selfsame enthusiastic ladies.

Once the initial shine has been lost and dancing becomes "too much work" (ie, posture, style, technique, advanced footwork, alignments, etc etc.) the female population gets thinned out by those ladies who have learned enough to survive on the social floor but not willing to put in the extra time and effort to get better. At the same stage, the males who have survived until then are the ones that have found that they like dancing and are gung-ho about getting better technique and complex movements that are challenging to them. Also those are the gentlemen who have gotten over their self-confidence issues which keep a lot of beginner males off the dance floor in the first place (self-confidence with respect to dancing, not in general; although dancing does help bolster self-confidence off the dance floor in my experience)

I really don't have a good explanation on why the ratio reverses to women at the silver level (again, in my experience) but I think it might be due to the fact that at Silver and above, it's mostly competition time, and ladies are more into pro-am competitions than are the gentlemen--I know multiple silver ladies who compete pro-am at my studio, and not a single gentleman who does.

Of course, YMMV :)

13. jennyisdancing

Well, I think that goes back to the idea that the dance can only be as good as the leader, right? I mean, an amateur female can more easily rise to a higher level of difficulty or do fancier moves, because she has a pro who leading her. Whereas an amateur man has more challenge - and unlike DWTS, when you're in a real ballroom comp, you can't have a pro lady dancing circles around her male partner who just stands there. :p

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Point: the poll is not of dancers. It is of dancers who log into DanceForums and check this particular forum and opt to vote in the poll. Possibly not a generally representative sample.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Based on my own experience as a leader, I don't think that idea is correct. Each pairing (each dance even) is unique, and could turn out a number of different ways based on many influences including but certainly not strictly limited to the dance skill of either partner (let alone the skill of the leader alone).

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What is the skill level distribution of these men you refer to?

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Does it matter?

18. opendoor

was it possible to mirror this thread on top of all sub-forums?

19. jennyisdancing

I don't think it matters but I would say it's primarily the intermediate level guys. You know...the ones who have learned some fancy moves and want to show them off. They aren't 100 percent confident they can lead the pattern with a fellow intermediate dancer, so they choose the advanced ladies. When I dance with these guys, I always feel like it's a test. :rolleyes:

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

When I dance with one particular person she does act as if it is a test. If I happen to do something that she hasn't seen before she reacts one way or the other based on how well she feels she has done it. I never intend it to be that way. I don't practice moves on her... It amuses me...actually that she reacts the way she does.