General Dance Discussion > is it true that there are fewer male dancers than female ones

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by luh, Jul 2, 2005.

?

I'm

1. female

84.9%
  2. male

15.1%
  1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I would prefer there to be fewer males then females. Females often will partner up and dance so that works out, whereas males have this male-male partner dancing phobia. :-(

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Not in West Coast Swing....:)

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps not where you are. The places where I dance West Coast do not have male/male partnerships. Perhaps at the "Westie" West Coast Swing places in Portland.
    More and more I accept the fact that West Coast is divided into two groups: the "Westie" branch, and the country western branch. And I think it's been that way probably from the very beginning days.

4. ldavila

ldavila New Member

Observations down under

My observations of dance classes and events here in Adelaide (South Australia):

There are definitely more women than men in all group dance classes (be it ballroom, salsa, WCS etc) and in all age groups. Well at least for classes that rotate partners - if they don't rotate then there are still more women than men but the ladies end up giving up due to not having a partner and don't come back.

With the social dance events (balls, latin nights, etc), it is still more women than men, but only slightly, as women without dance partners do not end up going out to social dances as much, as (at least here) not that many men ask other ladies' to dance (some of us do, but it is not the norm).

Wish I knew the answer to this... as I know how much fun it can be, and there is a lot of demand for male dance partners, but I just can't manage to convince my friends to take it up. Gotta be a guy thing. :confused:

Cheers,
    Laz.

5. ann_a

ann_a New Member

I'm ballroom dancer and in our group more women than men. And such situation in all group dance classes. As for me men think dance is a woman deal.

6. jennyisdancing

I'm not saying there are male/male competition partnerships. But I do see male/male and female/female dancing at WCS socials. I've danced with female leaders and I know of guys (straight, by the way) who will dance as followers with another guy on occasion. No big deal.

Other than that, yeah, sadly among the general population there is still an enormous stigma against men dancing. Seems to be just in more recent generations though. People I know who are over 60, they grew up with partner dancing. It used to be considered part of one's expected social skills to know at least a bit of swing dance and a basic box step.

7. Steve Pastor

Glad I'm not OVER 60! But, yeah, I had a few partner dance lessons in grade school, and a folk dance class as a PE credit. Not sure why I took dance, but team sports are just not my thing. I think there was a class aspect to the dance as basic social skill thing. That was certainly true for coutiers in the Renaisscance. Just watched a dvd from Dance Through Time, and they had some pretty intricate stuff. I know one guy is IS over 60, and his parents had him take dance lessons, but also how to handle a gun.

Last Wednesday at the C&W place I'm going for West Coast Swing lessons there were WAY more men than women. I saw this at AT venues, too. I think women do more family things around the holidays, because they sure don't come out like the guys do during those times.

8. jennyisdancing

That's my theory, too. Went to a couple of WCS dances last week, and there was an even balance or a slight surplus of guys, compared to the usual surplus of women. It was awesome. :D
    I also like to go dancing on a rainy night...fewer women like to travel in bad weather.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLZqDXau98 ?

10. jennyisdancing

:p:grin:

It's truer than you realize...one of my local dance studios, has on occasion, posted a message on its website entitled "it's raining men", where they mentioned the surplus of men on rainy nights and encouraging more women to come out then.

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

This lines up pretty exactly with what I've found.
    I'm slowly recruiting more guys, but a lot are reluctant.

At my studio, there are lots more women...they often dance with each other if no guys ask.
    There are a couple of guys around who dance by themselves, to practise. I guess they don't like dancing with the local ladies...fair enough...the local ladies don't really like dancing with them either.

At our socials, it tends to be pretty much 45/55 men/women. Most people come with a partner (And those with partners don't often ask others to dance). There are a pool of maybe 10-15 singles, about 2/3 women.

12. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

...nor in the swing/lindy hop scene where I live; male/male dancing has been common enough not to raise any eyebrows there, except, maybe, for those who are extremely new to the scene. Oh, and most, if not all of these are straight guys who normally dance with the ladies.

I also recall reading that back in the day, male-male dancing was a de facto training tool for Argentine Tango dancers, owing to the insufficiency of female partners to practice with to learn the dance.

13. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

I have observed the same phenomenon, during bad weather--I was at one group class where we had ONE couple and 5 guys, and this was a non-rotating couple so we actually had to dance with the male instructor :) Granted, it was Hustle, so totally doable, although I refused to dance with him when the sound system started playing Y.M.C.A. :bouncy:

14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I love it when an excess of guys makes a male teacher dance as a follower. The guys get such good feedback on their leading!

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Remember? I posted it some weeks ago, but I still cannot get rid of the suspicion that there is still a surplus of men in the tango scene.

16. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Ah! That has to be true. A couple of months ago, on a Wednesday evening, it was raining badly and it was lightning outside. I decided not to go to dance class that day because the weather was just terrible. The next time I went to class, I asked a couple of people if they went to the class that Wednesday. They said, yes, but there were like 10 men and 4 girls, lol. I couldn’t believe what I heard.

17. jennyisdancing

I don't know why a little rain (or even a lot) scares so many ladies away. Not saying I enjoy traveling in bad weather, but hey, I've got umbrellas and anti-lock brakes so I think I can handle it. And if that means I get more men to dance with, I'm all for that. :)

18. Steve Pastor

In the film "Tango Bar" one of the lead characters states that the men practiced with each other so that they could dance with the women.
    Although I've followed in lessons and in practicas (a bit), you don't see men dancing with men at milongas.

In the US...
    In frontier days men danced with each other when women were not available. According to an early settler in Texas, "The gentle sex were few in number at the dance... Two men had to dance together to make a set." Another account states that "due to the scarcity of young women, a number of young bachelors who were either smooth shaven or wore polished shoes were designated as ladies." There were also "stag" dances with no women. "Heifer branded" men, those dancing the woman's role, wore handkerchiefs tied around one arm.[14] At other times men dancing the role of the woman wore aprons.[15] Miners in the California Gold Rush danced with one another if ladies were not available.[16]

Once there were enough women to go around, this practice ceased to exist, and I have yet to hear anyone bring it up in a CW setting.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think, in general, that women do not like to drive in bad weather. Whether it's from having less experience, or less training, or less courage, or more sense than men, I cannot say. But it is something I have observed in women I am acquainted with.