General Dance Discussion > is it true that there are fewer male dancers than female ones

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by luh, Jul 2, 2005.

?

I'm

1. female

84.9%
  2. male

15.1%
  1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In my case, it's just crap night vision, or rather not being able to adjust quickly, and being BLINDED BY OTHER DRIVERS WHO REFUSE TO TURN OFF THEIR HIGH BEAMS WHEN FOLLOWING CLOSELY OR ONCOMING....

(Sorry, pet peeve.)

2. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I always assumed that ballroom was a lower priority for them. The one studio I know of where this phenomenon didn't occur was the old Joe Jenkins dance studio - his pro-ams always showed up, as did the couples that danced there; they took their dancing seriously. But if you've observed it with respect to other activities, I'd vote for less courage or more sense.

That's another possibility. My wife used to complain of bad night vision, especially in the rain, before she improved her diet for pregnancy.

3. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Well, priorities and night vision might be issues...but honestly, I see the same thing with other activities, even in the daytime. I find it's hard to get other women to come out and do anything on a rainy day, even though the activity itself is indoors.

I had arranged an outing one afternoon with several friends to visit a museum exhibit. Admission was free, so cost wouldn't have been an issue, and we planned the event way in advance, so people had it on their schedules. It turned out to be drizzling (not heavily raining) that day, so at most, the rain was just a slight inconvenience, there was no flooding or anything like that. If anything, I think a drizzly afternoon is a perfect time for a museum visit, but only one of my friends showed up - and I should point out she had taken public transit, so she wasn't driving. :rolleyes:

4. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

My guess is that they don't want to get their hair wet!

5. jennyisdancing

You're probably right....guess they never heard of those cool devices called umbrellas. ;)

6. wiseman

wiseman New Member

When it rains extremely hard and it's windy, umbrellas are as good as nothing.

7. jennyisdancing

Point taken...but that doesn't happen often. Seriously, I was talking about how some women won't even travel in a drizzle! Let them stay home while I have more leaders to choose from. ;)

8. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

This week I went to a group lesson at an upscale retirement community. I expected there would be too many women and they would be old -- both situations that I wouldn't mind. I have had positive experiences dancing with women 60+ because they seem to be more tolerant about my lack of skills.

It seemed to be a slam dunk that women would show up considering there were two lessons -- one was the waltz and the other west coast swing. Much to my shock only 5 men showed up and NO WOMEN! I saw a lot of women playing cards in other rooms so it wasn't that they weren't in the area.

Eventually a couple who didn't want to share came, and another couple with a man (very good dancer) who graciously sat down most of the time so his lady partner could be shared. Fortunately the instructor was a woman -- and she was kept very busy with all of us guys.

The weather was clear skies and at about 7 pm it was about 65 degrees outside. The ballroom was first class all the way. I thought senior ladies love to dance but maybe not in Arizona. Perhaps the weather was too cold or maybe the bright stars scared them away.

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At our studio, in general, it seems like there are more females...

10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I know one studio that has a gentlemen discount on Friday nights and a ladies discount on Saturday nights. Hmmm... ;)

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yikes!