Is marriage among salsa instructors rare?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Austin, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Austin

Austin New Member

All of the salsa instructors I have been to are single, dating, or divorced. Now, I know of a few salsa instructors who are married, but I never went to their schools, and they are far fewer than the single/divorced ones I know. So I'm reaching out to a broader base, since my knowledge is limited.

Does anyone see this as well, or am I way off and most salsa instructors/teachers/what have you, are married?

2. Caralyn

Caralyn New Member

Most people that are either performing or teaching (especially at a high level) but even just dancing salsa period, are not married. It's the biggest single culture I've ever seen. I can count on one hand the performers that are married. You have to remember that salsa isn't the most conducive arena for relationships. Salsa congresses are basically spring break for adults, shows are late in clubs, there's often alcohol everywhere, classes are at nighttime, and there's a whole lot of good looking people who are single and ooze sexuality in their dancing. Most non-dancers can't handle this, and those who do dance are often separated from their partner a lot or there is infidelity going on (not always, I know, but from what I've seen it's very common).

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It may depend on the area but I'm aware of at least a handful of married instructors in Orange County. Of course, there are quite a few younger people and maybe they're not ready to get married yet.

4. theboxer5

theboxer5 New Member

DanceMentor, are you talking about Corey and Pepe at Atomic Ballroom? LOL :);)

5. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

Our salsa instructors are married to each other. But they argue alot. Think they've been together of 20years or so, but sometimes it feels like they're about to kill each other or atleast get a divorce any minute now... funny :)

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Married 20 years and argue a lot. Pat for the course lol