Dance Articles > Is moving and grooving a sin?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Porfirio Landeros, Oct 25, 2006.

1. kayak

kayak Active Member

I live in a conservative Christian hotspot and all the big churches in my area host dances and have dance classes specifically designed to promote socializing. These are both mainstream denominations and big evangelical churches. I like the classes and have fun at the dances. Also, they don't cut out any dance types. So a night will have a mix of ballroom, country western, latin and even some line dancing.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Depends on the eye of the beholder.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what is, darling?

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This whole "sin" issue.

5. fascination

thanks...gotcha now...btw, funny cuz lately I am noticing how many of my favorite hymns are in 3/4 time...(like ALL of them)

6. Medira

Medira New Member

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me. ;)

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Amazing Grace.

8. fascination

my daughter's name, btw

9. fascination

but there are also tons of contemporary one s which I won't get into here....perhaps I will start that thread over at that other site

10. CardinalDancer

CardinalDancer New Member

Have you read Good Omens? :cool: Also by Terry Pratchett (and Neil Gaimon) and touches on similar themes.

11. CardinalDancer

CardinalDancer New Member

I think one of the reasons this mindset seems so funny to competitive dancers is that our minds are so full of "heel, toe, toe, toeheel" this and "CBMP" that...it's hard to imagine anyone thinking sinful thoughts about always keeping one's weight on the inside edge of the foot. ;-) If you're so busy figuring out who's on the inside or outside of a turn, when do these fundamentalists think we have time to think impure thoughts?

12. fascination

well precisely, perhap a new dancer will have to deal with this but once you're focusing on shaping and center and balance and inside edge of your foot and proper level of tone in your arms, yada yada...when something potentially intimate does happen it is but a blip on the screen...a nice blip...but a blip

13. fascination

not going there on a dance thread BUT, like all things, most things are relative or subject to interpretation, but we only tend to point that out as picking and choosing when it occurs in those with whom we disagree...rigidity is often a picking and choosing as well, not an orthodoxy...and of course none of this is restricted to any one area of life

14. ptide

ptide New Member

lol.. i checked out the site.. how ironic, they call it liberty university! :rolleyes:

They should raise money by having a kissing booth.. Free Kisses.. then when you move on... BAM! your on candid camera and handed a $10 fine. Hugs would probably count as naughty also :p

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i've been to taylor, even played on the bosendorfer in the music hall. is the nearest pizza still in oil city?

16. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

TSB: You're probably referring to Gas City (so named because of natural gas fields nearby). In answer to your question, it's been a while since I've been to Upland and so I don't know if the town has it's own pizza place yet. It does, however, have an ice cream parlor that's famous in the region.

-IJ

17. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

Dance wary Bible believers need to read the Old Testament account of King David bringing the Ark of the Covenant back into Jerusalem. David danced with abandon even to the extent that his ehpod flew up and exposed himself. His wife, Hamon was watching from an open window and looked at him with disdain. God was so annoyed with her response that He closed her womb, thereby taking away her ability to bear children. I do believe dance needs to be tasteful, but I challange Bible based dance bashing.

18. fascination

welcome to DF...a good and fair point....though we will leave that debate for another forum....again welcome

19. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

Yes ma'am... and thanks for the welcome.

20. fascination

you are very welcome...and the caution was meant pre-emptively....and not geared solely toward you....it nibbles around some of our guidelines that is all...the whole thread does...an ounce of prevention......and all that jazz :)