Dance Articles > Is moving and grooving a sin?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Porfirio Landeros, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Well, what's bad with drinking and gambling then, in moderation?

As long as you behave within the confines of the law, and are not hurting other people, you can pretty much do whatever you wish, in my opinion.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

3. MsSamba~cha

MsSamba~cha New Member

I don't think I've ever felt closer to the Divine than when I am dancing!
    Every time...no matter what kind, where, or how I'm feeling before. It lifts my spirit and I feel more authentic and part of the world. Dancing effects the way I treat others...it's given me strength, clarity, grace, hope, joy....

Or is that too cheesy? No matter....it works for me....

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i like the way you think, samba! :)

5. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

It is a strange sort of timing my seeing this thread at the top: I was sitting in church Sunday and LO! one of the readings had the faithful doing all sorts of joyful things including dancing. I (being a bad girl) let my mind wander to this very issue and the differences in interpretation. No larger point really, just a small chuckle at the timing of everything.

6. evanluck

evanluck Member

God, Dancing and Sexuality

Agreed there is something very special about partner dancing as it illustrates human connection and our ability for non-sexual intimacy. I've often imagined that this would be how we would relate to each other in the Kingdom of Heaven. We would be overflowing with God's love (agape) for each other and this would replace the selfish, using, need-based emotion that people typically refer to as love. Out of this love, we would experience very intimate connection with everyone we met. Kind of like dancing.

I personally have never had a partner dancing experience cause me to lust after someone. It was rather the opposite. I felt intensely connected to them for a short period of time. During that time I honestly experienced their humanity and it made me unwilling to objectify them in my mind to fulfill my own selfish pleasures.

Do not let religion and religious rituals and legalism distract you from the one, true God who loved you so much that he sacrificed his only son so that you could exist eternally in an intimate relationship with Him.

Love, God Bless, and Happy Dancing!

-Evan

-------
    If Life is a Dance then God is the Music

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would only qualify that, Evan, by saying that IMO there is also no real problem with feeling a sense of sexual imtimacy w/someone when one dances as long as one understands the gift of sensuality as a way of expressing a selfless love and one isn't merely objectifying the other lustfully...if one adheres to a religious worldview one may also see sexual desire as a gift from God, and distinguish it as a more substantial thing than lust...or one may also, as you say, enjoy the physical intimacy in a more platonic way as well....

8. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

As C.S. Lewis writes in The Four Loves, "storge" (affection), "philia" (friendship), "eros" (sexual or romantic love) and "agape" (selfless love) are all gifts from God. The three fold division of each love: love of appreciation, need-love and gift-love are all intrinsically good as well, though such can be disordered. I think the need-love and gift-love ideas can make for an interesting meditation of the nature of a dance partnership. Hmm, I'll have to go dig up my copy of the above book now and start reading it through the lens of my dance experience.

9. fascination

hmmm.....me too

10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Well said, Evan and IMO, an excellent bit of witnessing.

Grace and Peace,

IJ

11. jfm

jfm Active Member

Pope Benendict put out an encyclical (is tht the spelling?) last year celebrating romantic love. Very few people in predominantly RC countries e.g most of Latin America seem to regard dancing as a sin, it must be something peculiar to WASP but hey, there's more extreme positions than just frowning on partner dancing Rev. Dr. Ian Paisley says "Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to lust."

12. fascination

oh well...to each their own...we strive mightily to respect all positions here...and to minimize our theological content...other forums are better served by that....even so, the article was submitted here and I think just about all perspectives have been exhausted, only my opinion tho'

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I was talking with a guy from class the other day, who I know is very religious (the same religion I was raised with, actually), and he was saying that he really wanted to learn bachata. Except...the way it was danced he felt was sinful and involves things that should only happen between a husband and wife. So, as much as he likes the music, he won't learn it. I felt very sad for him, really, that he couldn't see a separation at all.

But...to each their own.

14. fascination

well. erm...if something happens that should only happen btwn a husband and wife...uh, well...it was hardly intentional, so I rather doubt that one could call it a sin...but, well...that's what swing is for...not a shred of romance there IMO....ducks

15. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Heh. Gives a whole new non-sexual meaning to the term "swinger."

From reading this discussion, I'm beginning to wonder if I have a low libido (which, uh, noo, I actually don't which can be very frus-tra-ting sometimes). I remember I was somewhat let down when I first started dancing that there weren't more fireworks a la the old movies that warped my perceptions when I was young. My Irish RC upbringing always emphasized that romatic/sexual attraction was a gift when embraced correctly. It's the objectification of another human being as a means to an end ( purely for one's own pleasure) rather than an end in themselves that would be sinful.

This has been a very interesting discussion. I realize upon reflection there have been an inordinate number of Jewish and Catholic dancers in my circle of friends. I wonder if at least some of that can be explained by their surprisingly culturally similar relationships with music and dance?

16. fascination

and also with you, lol....

personally, i find dancing intimate and romantic even if I am dancing alone...it's just... well, so transcendent

17. Peaches

Why ducking? :) Swing isn't about romance, it's about exuberance and celebration. IMO.

I think he was objecting to the actual contact involved with bachata--as being touching that should only happen between a married couple. As far as that goes, well...that happens quite a bit in dancing, and quite deliberately. Not in a sexual way, generally (god knows anything sex-related is the last thing on my mind when it comes to trying to dance FT with contact), but it is intimate contact in a way.

I just don't think he sees/believes in a separation at all--the touching is out-of-bounds, regardless. Interesting, I suppose. I wonder, though, what he's going to do as his dancing progresses. I know he's mentioned competing...which could provide some difficulties for him, I'd think, unless he shifts his outlook. Not that he has to--I don't think there's anything wrong with it--but I could see it being something of an impediment.

18. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

As I know nothing about bachata, you've piqued my curiosity. How is the touching in bachata different from, say, bolero or foxtrot or any other partner dance?

Interesting, indeed. In my limited dance experience (nearly two years of lessons and "barely bronze" in proficiency), there's a difference between "touching" and "contact." "Touching" is what I do with my hands and it's limited to her hands and her upper back. During some dances with some follows, however, its not unusual for my chest (or more often, unless she's pretty tall, my abdomen) to have "contact" with part of her that I'd never "touch" with my hands (was that put delicately enough, mods? ;) ).

If its such contact that has your friend bent outta shape, I guess he'd probably better limit his dancing to a significant other.

-IJ

19. fascination

on bachata...can be danced more or less suggestively..more would include a serious.. uh...thigh rub

20. Peaches

I don't really know. My understanding is that it involves a fair bit of lower body contact, but I've never seen it danced. I was going by what he'd said to me.

I don't get the impression he differentiates between "contact" and "touching." From what I can tell, off-limits areas are off-limits areas, regardless of what's touching where or why. Inappropriate contact is inappropriate contact.

Meh. I don't agree (obviously), and I feel a bit sorry for him. But, it's his life to live in accordance with his faith. And I respect him for it. I was raised with the same faith, so I do understand a bit of where he's coming from. But I still find it sad. All the same, though, I don't want to trash what he believes, or what others believe.