Salsa > Is Salsa becoming a Stag Dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You remember that, eh?

That truly was my first impression!

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Of course, elgrancombo, I was not referring to you!!!!!!!!!

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yep, I remember that... or at least I remember your describing it to me that way.

As I'm sure you'll recall, I was busy minding my own business and dancing with whichever ladies gave me that pleasure. :D

4. tacad

tacad New Member

Ahh! Another secret of 20000 posts. :lol: (reading the latest page, that is. :wink:)

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

That usually means that the thread has been hijacked and you can talk about anything (like other posters are doing). :roll: :lol:

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . and those were some FINE ladies . . . I got pleasure just watching them dance!

BTW, Care says "hello," and she looks forward to dancing w/you again soon!

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Right back at her! :D

8. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

I think I may have an idea of who you're referring to...

There are a lot of mixed opinions on this gentleman, but he certainly has his strengths; among them is that he is eye-catching when he's on the floor, in the way that he interprets the music. Partner connection may not always appear to be his strong suit, but I know from my own experience (and from that of other follows) that he IS capable of establishing and maintaining it. One of his perceived weaknesses, then, is that he doesn't seem to always want to. However, I think we're all guilty of that from time to time. Sometimes I have moments where I get totally lost in the music...

My thing is that there are so many styles and preferences when it comes to this dance, that there are rooms for all types. I know women who prefer to be a "prop" and let the man completely outshine her. Conversely, I know women who refuse to dance with any guy that can't "make her look good."

Dancing with someone like the gentleman described above would force a timid follow, who relies strictly on partnerwork, to learn to develop more of an individual connection to the music , the floor, and her own body. I know another local gentleman (let's call him gentleman #2), with whom all the ladies love to dance (including myself). He rarely breaks apart for shines. For the "female version" of the first gentleman described in this post, dancing with gentleman #2 would be a challenge. However, it would be a challenge well worth taking. :D

In other words, there's something to be gained from dancing from every type of lead/follow, as long as you're not being placed in harm's way.[/i]

9. africana

africana New Member

very eeery these words are exactly are how many in my scene describe me :oops: :p :twisted: (judge not lest ye be judged huh?)
    I actually really enjoy watching this guy's style, but the trick to following him is first establish good connection, and second yield to him without getting intimidated. Otherwise it feels rough

I remember one dance lastnight when I purposely opted in favor of musicality and being carried away by the music rather than follow a formulaic lead, the man was not happy :twisted: :lol: and it was all my fault 8)
    The song was just packed full of breaks, drum solos, very powerful, definitely not the time for silly little patterns. I was going to grab another guy who could keep up when he asked, eh too bad, I was feeling it

It's always funny the look on their faces when they see me cooperating and being good with other smoother guys during "regular" songs i.e. not packed full with shine-able rhythms ;)

what can I say? I'm not a robot

10. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

I've been there, africana. It's a dilemma. I try to be "good," and just follow the lead, but there are times when the song is a stronger lead than the lead! :eek:

11. alemana

alemana New Member

the thing is, there are millions of dances in our futures.. sometimes we can be good, sometimes we don't have to be. with certain leaders you develop a history and relationship and hopefully they will forgive you if you don't follow them like a robot every single dance.

in many ways, the back-and-forth over *time* with every leader is what makes the social dancing world so freaking fascinating... you are having a conversation with each of them, separately, at the rate of one sentence at a time.

12. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

Well said!

13. africana

africana New Member

well said 8)
    I do enjoy the challenge of doing my best to follow any type of lead, so I keeping working on my technique, improving consistency and control, but sometimes that is just not the primary focus :?
    I agree it's usually best to "play" with partners I already know can handle it.

14. alemana

alemana New Member

exactly.

15. Vin

Vin New Member

Ooh this is a topic I'm sure we all have strong opinions on. I will just let loose some of the comments I have heard about some of the "great leads" in our local scene, by many of the most sought after follows.

"Oh it would be great dancing with him, if I didn't have a mind of my own."

"Pay attention to these guys, you definitely don't want to be like them"

"The man is supposed to be the FRAME"

Here is the thing though, for every follow that that sort of comment I have met many others how make the following comments, about the same dancers:

"I must be getting better because I can follow him now"

"If you can follow him, you can follow anybody"

"He loves to experiment with me"

"He makes me do things I never thought I could do"

When discussing one such dancer with TJ he made the comment,

"yes there are many girls that just will refuse to dance with him. but there are also just as many who will seek him out for as many dances as they can get"

Personally I would rather have a woman seek me out to dance with because she enjoys the feeling of dancing with me rather than because she is impressed by the way I dance. But others don't always feel the same.

16. africana

africana New Member

It's always good to mix it up, challenging or enjoyable or comfortable or combinations of all those qualities (or none :twisted: ) that's the way to become a highly versatile social dancer

I grade myself by how quickly I expand my pool of "suitables", the more versatile I get, the more the "lack of dance-chemistry" issues go away

17. tacad

tacad New Member

I'm not sure that there's more room for expression, but it seems to be more embedded in the culture. So much so, that seeking out that expression
    or passion is what's inspired my foray into salsa. Boy did I find that expression Tuesday night dancing salsa! Then the next night I brought it back to ballroom dancing. And it was still there. Though on a (ballroom) salsa number when I pulled a caress her hair, arm over the back of her head move, her eyes got really big. :lol: But she really enjoyed the dance. And the night club 2 step that followed. So, thank you salsa! :notworth:

18. tacad

tacad New Member

Speaking of which, everybody seems to be taking a break. :wink:

19. tacad

tacad New Member

I started from the beginning but have no idea what that last page was about.
    :?

20. tacad

tacad New Member

To paraphrase Chris Stratton (although he certainly was not talking about salsa), leading involves a certain amount of following.