Salsa > Is Salsa becoming a Stag Dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Aug 2, 2005.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

I've had a few dances, salsa, ballroom or swing, I'm not sure, where I was almost ignored. A very bizarre feeling. Not knowing what else to do, and not sure if my lead is bad (on salsa or lindy) I do basic steps, best technique I can, and let the follower adjust or not. I don't know if this is what you're talking about, africana. No judgement. Just asking.

2. tacad

tacad New Member

Agreed. I'm really working on this now. Which is really just to say that I'm learning to express to my lady that I'm enjoying her and enjoying dancing with her. This was probably what made the difference Tuesday night.

3. tacad

tacad New Member

Nice. 8)

4. africana

africana New Member

yes that whole bit about "can handle it" is simply to say that freedom is not a concept for everyone, or every level

There are those leads who know how to improvise to the music, they are skilled enough to listen to the follow same as the follow listens to the lead. They flow together, give and take. And who's to say that lead/follow may not even shift roles during the dance

You have to see it to understand. It looks great, it feels great 8)

5. africana

africana New Member

And to paraphrase myself, dancing is not all about lead and follow (thank goodness!) that's where the expression comes in
    It's about the music, not some silly concocted steps every says should make up the dance. It's about 3-way communication: you-partner-music
    Sometimes one person in the conversation speaks louder than the others, or has higher priority
    It's not all about the man, sorry

6. tacad

tacad New Member

I've done that with one follower who has a west coast swing background. I don't do WCS but we throw in some ECS, a little lindy, and some general stuff. We play off each other. It is great fun!

7. africana

africana New Member

hmm, I'll have to see to judge but I don't think so.

Playing involves interaction with partner as well as music

8. tacad

tacad New Member

Thank God! I didn't go to dance by myself with a sexy prop. I'm totally with you on that you-partner-music.

Hmm. Just in case I wasn't clear with my paraphrase of Chris Stratton: I meant that a leader also has to be able to follow as well. I lead, and then go where she goes in ballroom, more or less. I assume the leader has to be even more ready to follow in salsa or west coast swing. I know the leader has to be very responsive in lindy. Anyway, that's what I meant.

9. africana

africana New Member

ahh ok. sometimes I hastily equate "good following" with "dancing doormat" :wink:

10. dickda

dickda New Member

Herding followers

There is a particularly flamboyant leader here. He dances in a town called Santa Cruz, just south of San Francisco. When I was completely new to salsa, I was very taken by the spins and intricate patterns he danced.

After a couple of months, I became aware that he never adjusts his lead to the needs of his followers. A couple of weeks ago, I watched him spinning, and flinging a rather stunned woman continuously for about 15 minutes. She did not look like she was having a good time as she was literally herded about.

I decided then that I had been mistaken. He was not a good partner dancer after all...

-Dick

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Hi, dickda. Welcome to the DF party!

12. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

ha lol :lol: ,work it africana 8)

13. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

Re: Herding followers

thanks dickda for the post,for those who want to learn this is very important to take heed. i"ve been a performer for 30 years off and on and started dance lessons about 8 years ago(all kinds of dance) since im a quitar player /singer/dj i can really milk it(thats part of who i am, not a show, i really get into the music) anyway it was hard for me to tone it down in hustle and salsa-hence not adjustng my lead to the different levels of the ladys,a lot of girls were afraid to dance with me in both worlds(not because i can't dance) but because of what you wrote above. i've learned to tone it down and be more in tune with the ladys in this way-it takes time(not 8 years :wink: ) but ladys if ya dance with a mamaluke like the above metioned tell him in your own way if your a bold one u might help him,if he wants it.

14. africana

africana New Member

Agree with dancin/dj.
    Ladies keep going back to these kinds of leads, and so they continue this stuff for years thinking they are the ****

These women feel that they MUST follow whatever the man does even if it hurts them, because they don't want to be labeled a "bad follow", oh and by the way people are watching

Well I'd rather fight to keep my healthy shoulders than be whipped and admired by everyone else :evil:
    These days I won't even listen to friends who allow themselves to be used like this and then complain about it later

One more thing that exacerbates this problem is that there may not be as many good leads around as follows, so ANYone that can dance and flash the women feels they are great

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hola! And welcome to df. :D I know some like the guy whom you described. No fun at all and poor dancing IMO, as well.