General Dance Discussion > Is social dancing really social? (young student)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by EddyP, Jul 20, 2015.

1. EddyP

EddyP Member

i think latin america does a great job at preserving the roots of their various dances, NA not so much.

CaliChris10 likes this.
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I still haven't heard an answer as to 1. why seniors need to bring in youth and 2. why that Will benefit them.

IndyLady and stash like this.
  3. EddyP

EddyP Member

i dont think its fair to say they are forms you mature into since many of them were started by kids in clubs. also that discredits many dancers that are practicing the dance and are very young at the moment.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"NA" has done a pretty darn good job of preserving Lindy Hop (Frankie Manning style which is in a National Dance Curriculum) and Balboa. Even Weest Coast Swing kinda sorta is the same as it was in the 50s. Also, there is square dancing, clogging, and pretty close to the classic form of "round dances" such as schottiche, and Gasp! Cotton Eye Joe, polka, etc. (The "gateway drug" of Line Dancing sucks people into the partner dances at CW places!) And, other than some ads on the radio or tv, none of us older folks are out there beating the bushes to get the college age crowd to show up at the CW places.

5. EddyP

EddyP Member

1. to keep the community growing.

2. it doesnt necessarily benefit them personally but it benefits the community they are a part of.

ive answered these questions in lengthy posts throughout this thread actually.

6. EddyP

EddyP Member

and i have acknowledged and praised the success of WCS and lindy hop in previous posts!

7. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Have you ever shared these thoughts and opinions about the older generation with your own parents or older people in your family? I'd be curious to know their reaction.

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

The incentive needs to come from within if it's a hobby. I do knitting because I like it. I do dance because I like it. I went to school because my parents told me to (aka not hobby), and if I didn't I would be kicked out of the house. I stay in shape because I want to look good. Those are the incentives. For 90% of things incentives have to come within a person. It's not an external thing.

Sure there are ways that these incentives can be brought out in someone by an outside source. But you (the collective you) would be miserable if you were doing something because of an "outside incentive" and not because you wanted to do it.

Honestly I don't think your giving my generation enough credit. They way it's coming off from you is that we have no minds of our own, and that we need to be told what to be interested it. At least when it comes to partner dancing. Maybe that's not what you intend to sound like. But it is what it sounds like...

I don't need a studio to incentivize dance for me. And I'm sure nobody needs an incentive to do what they love to do.

danceronice and IndyLady like this.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

As people have noted, growth doesn't have to come directly from youth. There are plenty of dancers who come into the hobby later in life. Don't get me wrong - I really do think it would be great if there were more youth involvement in partner dance. But marketing to an older demographic is a perfectly viable growth strategy.

10. JudeMorrigan

This is sort of a random anecdote, but I'm also one of those people who took up dancing in their 30s. Now, there was this guy I knew in college. Literally the only thing I remember about him beyond his name and rough appearance is the time he stopped by my dorm room to suggest I go to the university's ballroom dance club's next meeting, that it would be a good way to meet chicks. Knowing what I do now, I assume they had a lack of leads and the club's members had had a homework assignment to try to recruit more.

Anyways, there are certainly times where I find myself thinking back on that and thinking "Christ, imagine if I had another dozen years to work with when it comes to my dancing". But, here's the thing that my pro points out whenever I find myself grumping about having started so relatively late. There're absolutely no guarantees I would have been better off for it.

I was really very poor at the time. I certainly couldn't have afforded real lessons. Peer instruction can be very hit-or-miss. It's entirely plausible that my experience with the FSU ballroom dance club could have mirrored my experience with the school's fencing club. That is, that I'd do it for a semester, get distracted by my classes and never really put much time into it. And then, maybe when I was in the place in my life where dancing was able to take root, I would have skipped it as something I had already tried and wound up going with a different hobby. Maybe not forcing things before I was really ready was a good thing.

danceronice, raindance, stash and 3 others like this.
  11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

At the risk of stealing your thunder Jude, that was one of my earlier points as well about my own experience... on the one hand I wish I had started dancing sooner, on the other hand it's not a sure thing that it would have ended with the same result, only better.

And as much as I hope my son becomes a dancer, there is no guarantee of that either no matter how much exposure he has. My mother is into all sorts of fabric arts, sewing, crafting, has won numerous state fair awards and such - it would seem natural that would get passed on and she definitely tried (I was in 4-H and home ec), but I don't even remember how to operate a sewing machine and I always take my alterations to a professional. My dad worked on cars... I know how to drive one, put gas in it, and where the oil dipstick is located. That's it. My hubby was forced to play little league baseball... hated it... never touched it again. So it comes back to stash's point that the incentive is internal.

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

This. I know so many people from the collegiate world who resigned themselves to ballroom pretty much being done once they graduate (i.e. they couldn't do it in the "real world") because of the cost thing. I'm very fortunate as a twenty-something to have a high enough income to support competitive ballroom (though pro-am is a stretch I doubt I'll indulge), but I'm definitely one of the lucky ones in that aspect and I know many in my generation aren't so lucky.

stash and IndyLady like this.
  13. JudeMorrigan

Oh, sure. I have no doubt that it's a very common story. With the possible exception of the way that was the only thing that I remember about that guy. That was the part that's always amused me.

IndyLady and stash like this.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It does not discredit any young person who is dancing. It is a fact that the majority of people that make up formalized styles of partner dance in America are passed their twenties. OF COURSE there are anomalies, but that doesn't deny fact that there are simply forms that we mature out of and forms we mature into.

Ballet is a perfect example of a style that people mature out of. I don't see many 50+ year olds doing BBoy or popping and locking either... And yes there are adults who pick it up at 50, but we are not talking about outliers, we are talking about the vast majority.

There is a social atmosphere to every style of dance. And it is ok that you don't find certain situations and communities to your liking. No one s forcing you to go waltzing with the 65 year olds. Believe me, they probably would feel extremely out of place, unappreciated, and antisocial at the World B-Boy Classic...

So I really don't get what this thread is all about. Except that you think everything should be cheap, on the street, and fun for you.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  15. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

A young guy is here giving his opinions and pov. It is interesting to hear someone elses dance experience and I am sure, no I know, that he is not the only one who feels this way. So instead of trying to only refute him maybe try and see things from his shoes.

In comparison to the way the rest of the world learns to dance, ballroom is a small part.

16. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

If he was telling us how his world works, so we could learn about it, that would be one thing. But he isn't, really, beyond telling us that a different part of the dance world (not even sure he is focused on ballroom, just partner dancing which is very very broad) needs to be more like his part of the dance world.

I'm sure both parts of the dance world can learn from each other... but adamantly stating that some dance culture you are not really a part of and don't fully understand needs to change and be more like the one you are used to isn't exactly the way to get people wanting to listen. We're trying to help him understand the partner dancing world, or a bit of how it works, at least. He comes across as wanting to change it before he has really become a part of it.

danceronice, stash and IndyLady like this.
  17. CaliChris10

I trained in ballroom, have friends who are studio owners, and might become one myself in the future...So I find his opinion interesting. But I have an open mind and want to hear about others life experiences, not just the people in my circle. Do I agree with all his points? No. But It doesn't mean they are invalid. I have heard some of the same points from other people. I can understand why some become defensive but it really is a waste of time. Sometimes when you are in a certain world you get caught up is said world and forget that there is a lot out there. In my world of social dance there are all ages dancing(except at clubs that are 21+). So this conversation was very interesting to me and I tried to see where he was coming from. A little empathy goes a long way. It doesn't always have to be your way or the highway :)

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  18. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

And after looking a bit more, for $100/mo, I can rent a 12x24' storage building with a nice smooth concrete floor and an electrical outlet at the edge of town. As I recall, it's not uncommon for garage bands to rent at that site because they can store their stuff set up and practice without bothering anybody. (Closest residential neighbor is a mostly deaf elderly couple a few hundred yards away.)

Of course, that's not climate controlled, but I bet they'd let me run a window unit or a Port-A-Cool for a few bucks a month more to cover the added power draw. (The outlets are mostly just used for lights or trickle chargers, though the bands will run small amps off them in addition to lights, so I guess they can handle 15-20A draw.)

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

you really wanna dance on concrete?

20. CaliChris10

W
    Where are you located? You could not rent a closet for $400 where I am :p Seriously!