General Dance Discussion > Is social dancing really social? (young student)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by EddyP, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

North central Texas.

Heck, if you could find some way to cover the liability issue, you could probably rent a section of a commercial or industrial building around here after hours for even less than that and get air conditioning and plumbing too.

2. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

Holy moly! Our industrials start at 1,500/month! And thats if you can actually find one at that price.

3. EddyP

EddyP Member

I have given insight on how my world functions actually...

4. EddyP

EddyP Member

A lot of street dancers dance on concrete to stay connected with the roots of the dance.

5. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Actually, the roots of dance were in Africa, with tribal chants and drum rhythms, but that did not stop people from cutting up at the Apollo.

Rhythmdancer and stash like this.
  6. CaliChris10

I will dance anywhere but concrete is the worst for your joints! I avoid it whenever possible. And I can always tell when they have installed a wood floor over concrete...

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

HMMM larinda doesn't see too many 50+ year olds popping..

<------------will have to remember to not vid himself at home:cool::cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:

I grew up locking and popping..... this is how i fell in love with dancing...when I became older and met the mrs ( in a disco none the less)we knew someday we wanted to dance together rather than apart.... Hence partner dancing..

I suspect this is a more natural evolution for men than women..many women probably come from ballet jazz modern etc...like the mrs

each dance style in its time ( age wise that is..)

25 aint that young eddy btw:cool:;););)

IndyLady and stash like this.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Stop making feel more like an old spinster than I already do!!!! Ugh!!!!!!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

LMAO stash... my bad:beye::beye::beye::beye:

10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

You'll be an old *married* woman soon.

IndyLady, stash and Mr 4 styles like this.
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Lol. It's fine. I am jesting. Well mostly jesting.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

a few Dfers at the reception couldn't hurt the wedding vids....just saying......:p:p;);)

stash and snapdancer like this.
  13. CaliChris10

lol that was one of our road trip songs when I was a kid :)

14. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Well, the roots of partner dance are in central european village dances - the wooden threshing/dancefloor is probably as old or older than dancers holding their partners :)

tancos, ocean-daughter and dncergrl like this.
  15. ralf

ralf Active Member

Actually, that was Pittsburgh, but as it happens, Philadelphia has had a long-running most-weekly swing dance in Rittenhouse Square. San Francisco has had lindy hop in Golden Gate Park for nearly two decades.

stash, Larinda McRaven and raindance like this.
  16. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

17. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Thank you Zhena, that is some interesting reading (and I've only clicked on a couple of the threads so far).

stash likes this.
  18. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

I was referring to renting an occupied one after hours; after all, if the liability issues are covered, whatever you pay them is just free money (or nearly free: they'll presumably be paying a bit for lights and A/C) for something they're not using at the moment. There are a few commercial/industrial uses that require a large open section of floor for assembly or whatnot; if they're not running 24x7 shifts, the opportunity to make even just $100 from their downtime is attractive. I used to be part of a club that rented a bit of unused warehouse space from another member's family's business for $100/month to host meetings and store equipment.

CaliChris10 likes this.
  19. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

This one in particular bugs me; our PE classes taught a lot of random crap, so why couldn't we have had a couple weeks of two step, waltz and swing thrown in there instead of the standard fallback time-killer of dodge ball?

The expense argument just doesn't hold water at the PE class level: these are 12-18 year old kids getting 10-15 hours of group instruction. That doesn't call for resurrecting Gene Kelly to teach it, and they're already in a gym with a nice hardwood floor, and at that level, all of those can be done in socks or bare feet without twisting a leg off.

At the high school level, there are usually several electives; debate, (of which I think at least the basics should be mandatory) home ec, (likewise) automotive shop, and others. Putting social dancing in there would make for a nice range of useful life skills.

As for how useful it really is, I've worked plenty of crappy barely-over-minimum-wage jobs where there was still some sort of company party held in a venue with a dance floor; it's not just white collar jobs where you can make a good impression with some basic dance skills.

CaliChris10 and IndyLady like this.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I agree. But I know my PE teachers knew zilch about dancing. And a lot of schools have now moved to teaching for the Standardized Tests at the end of the year, rather than actually skills anymore.

Also sports, math, and sciences are usually held in top priority and the arts are at the very bottom of the list.

I'm not making excuses. I think this is totally wrong. But until we change how our academic system/education system is run, I don't see dance being a high priority on any school's agenda.

IndyLady likes this.