Tango Argentino > Is tango a dance for competition?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, May 30, 2009.

1. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ampster. It was my hope that at least people from Seattle, WA, Portland, OR and San Francisco, CA would object to hbboogie1 post #18. :)

2. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

which part of my post would you object to? the having fun part?

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

In fact, I believe all you mentioned is true. The problems exist, big time.

But I would not agree that it is the only way tango is perceived, taught and danced in the US. At least in our community, in a very large part of it, it is not the case. And from what I have observed, that other way (tango as a social dance, based on partners' connection, improvised to music, with respect for the culture and the codigos) gains its popularity.

4. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I think the bottom line is that we are at least partially responsible for the milongas we have here. We as a community decide what our milongas and classes look like by making things profitable or not. If a restaurant is willing to host a milonga i try to have dinner there, and tip nicely, because else they will stop. If a teacher has a technique class, or a "real" practica i try to go there, because else it will stop.

Gssh

5. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

I wasn't bashing any specific tango community I was speaking from personal experience. If you were as critical as I am you'd understand where I'm coming from. Even those wonderful milongas in BsAs are too crowded too noisy too dirty too smoky too something? The Birthplace of Tango has created a lot of afterbirth.
    And how many times have you complained about your local milongas? Anything from the snacks were lousy to no one asked me to dance or the music sucked.....it goes on doesn't it?
    So the point I was making is with all this negative crap going on...Relax have fun enjoy the fact that someone went to the trouble to organize and bring the lousy snacks and play the crappy music. Kudos to them and kudos to all of us for showing up so we can keep tango or whatever some people want to call it going on in our communities. So there that's my 2cents, of course I think my 2 cents is worth $100.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

I understand where you are coming from, and I agree with most of the points you made.

The ones I went to were clean, beautiful, the sound was great. They got crowded in the weekends, but the floor navigated very nicely for the most part. The inside smoking was prohibited everywhere. I saw people smoking outside, but interestingly, I could not detect any smell of tobacco from any of my partners (and being from California and not smoking myself, I am very sensitive to that smell).
    From what I understand, it is a normal cycle. It happens, that once a milonga gains popularity, it gets over crowded, the average level of dancing deteriorates, so better dancers start going to another, less crowded milonga, and the history repeats itself. It happends everywhere.

What I do not agree with is "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit, because it is all you get" approach. I complain to the organizers about something that can be fixed. That is, if I see the organizer is interested in in fixing it, and in my (and my friends) patronizing that milonga.
    I do not just complain, I have done (with the help of my friends) quite a bit to improve the situation around.

Sorry, to me there are things about tango and milongas that I will not let go. So, there are "milongas" in my area that I never go to, and there are the exact reasons why. There are people I would not dance with, because they do not respect the dance, other people, and refuse to learn. I try to be as tolerant as possible and let them all be, because everyone is a grown up and choses for oneself. But personally, there are certain things I do and will stand for.

7. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

USA tango comp

Salon semi-finals in New York City:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZRJ2fiCbM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wiqS1C1Uq0&feature=related

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Sure it's a dance for comps. El Cachafaz won many comps, Nito Garcia too, it has always existed. The bad thing with dance comps is the jury, because the one who wins is the one whom the jury voted first and not the best dancer.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

you may have a point but given the short period the people have to learn well why not chose to be creative. I spent a time practising a little each day when i was learning tango. professional dancers spend a huge amount of time training their bodies. my tango students dont seem to do anything between classes and I have stopped teaching.

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

11. jantango

jantango Active Member

VI World Tango Championships in BsAs

Alberto Paz and Valerie Hart of New Orleans, Lousiana will be representing the United States at the World Tango Championships which run Aug 23-31 in Buenos Aires during the Festival Buenos Aires Tango. They won the USA Championship held in New York City recently. They will compete in the semifinal rounds after qualifying rounds are held.

www.tangobuenosaires.gov.ar will direct you to Festival programming and Championship information on qualifiers, etc.

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Clay Nelson has a poll site, and the results are here. http://tangoclay.us/poll/

July 2015--What's your opinion about the value of tango competitions?

Helpful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 21.81% (41 votes)

Hurtful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 78.19% (147 votes)