Tango Argentino > Is Tango a declining matter?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by itwillhappen, Apr 25, 2017.

1. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

As a newcomer I perceived the situation different - a tango bubble that has taken of and lifted a decade ago.
    At milongas there was a clique of experienced dancers, then more or less nothing, and then me as a beginner stumbling around.

This might be caused by the convenience of tango schools and their economical needs to keep the students as long as possible in their classes.
    But right, nowadays I prefer to attend milongas with my SO and we choose our invitation strategy after a look onto the available dancers there.

BTW, i see that the price for private lessons in my area went down 25% during the last two years. But I suppose that this is caused by Argentine teachers trying to escape the inflation by earning some hard currency in Europe.

2. Wheat

Wheat New Member

Never offended- I wouldn't mind if you explained it in layman's language or used some sort of metaphor :). Is it my imagination that tango 197-2004 or so - was amazing worldwide or was it only my personal experience here in Montreal? It was like a golden age of tango.

3. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

1997-2004 was a Dark age here in Nordic. The luckiest ones had a video tape and became the local teachers.
    Today we have several tango schools in town and Argentine teachers visit the town frequently. The main actor from the early days has a diminishing crowd but new ones are growing. There seems to be a shift in age and style of dancing.

itwillhappen likes this.