Tango Argentino > Is Tango Danced on the Falkland Islands?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by UKDancer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Not a wholly serious question (and anyway, I can guess the answer), and I certainly don't want to start a political debate about the relative merits of the UK's claim to the Falklands or the Argentinian claim to las Malvenas; but on the eve of the referendum, there, by the islanders themselves over their future (which won't settle the issue, either way), I wondered whether the deteriorating relations between the UK & Argentina is likely to have a negative impact on the popularity of TA in the UK, or on the flow of tourists, dance or otherwise.

The whole tango revival of the 1980s was (arguably) the direct product of the return to democratic government that followed the invasion/recapture, and might never have happened, but for the violent dispute that cost so many lives on both sides. I've never heard anyone, here, make any remark about the dance that implies any hostility towards Argentina or its people, but wonder whether that will change, and whether UK tourists will continue to be welcome in BsAs, however welcome the foreign exchange they bring with them ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21692560

tangomonkey likes this.
  2. jfm

jfm Active Member

Well the rugby World Cup is in 2015 so I think there would be some kind of riot if the Argentinian government cancelled the visa waiver agreement any time soon. I wouldn't worry!

3. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

I have never encountered any antagonism whatsoever to either being British
    or more specifically English. Surprise sometimes, at my liking their music
    and/or being able to dance their dance but the welcome on my return
    has been warm to say the least.

pygmalion likes this.
  4. UKDancer

That's encouraging: but I guess that much of the current noise on the subject is being created by politicians and is not necessarily representative of wider opinion. My thoughts were more in relation to the position here, really. Virtually the whole of Western Europe is closer to our shores that the disputed islands are to Argentina, but it's been a while since we have allowed French (or more specifically, Norman) claims to sovereignty of these islands. But with stories of cruise ships that have visited the Falklands being denied access to Argentinian ports, and a degree of harassment in other ways, the British could easily return to a period of quite open hostility to all things Argentinian, including, of course, tango.

5. jantango

jantango Active Member

When you're on Argentine soil, you refer to them as Las Malvinas.

Tango is the music and dance of Buenos Aires. The rest of the country hardly knows what it is.

JohnEm had more than a warm welcome. He got a bear hug from Osvaldo Centeno (a milonguero known as El Oso - the Bear) when we delivered him to his apartment. John is living like a porteno and dancing in the milongas with portenas.

6. UKDancer

Your latter point makes me wonder whether there is something, in particular, about the city that made/makes tango prosper there. As tango has spread, Internationally, why has it not been taken up throughout Argentina? It can't be that everyone is dancing folclore, any more than in England we are all too busy Morris Dancing to notice the new-fangled BR stuff turned out in Blackpool. What are the dominant styles, and why has tango taken hold, so much more readily throughout Europe/United States? And is it true that if you don't count visitors, there are more tango dancers in Berlin than BsAs?

7. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

No debate about the relative merits... just an outsider's observation. I recall reading an article in The Economist some time ago about fairly large oil reserves being discovered off the coast of the Falklands. As usual, the pursuit of, and claim to oil rights will be the primary determinant for the politicians (and the oil multi-national corporations, who pay them- oops, that might get me censored....). There's no way the UK or the Argentine government will accept any independence by the islanders. Both will hold fast to their current views of "ownership".

8. UKDancer

I'll stay out of the politics, but I do wonder whether it is true that the tango revival just wouldn't have happened at all, had it not been for the changed circumstances of the fall of the junta, and the return to democracy. Other circumstances may have brought about the same political changes, though, at a different time.

Could someone touring a tango show have lit the flame of interest around the world, anyway, while dancing tango remained almost forgotten in BsAs?

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

isn't that what Valentino did with his film?

10. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

You seem so certain in your opinion.
    The only political certainty is uncertainty.

A deeper knowledge of the histories of the territories (Falklands/Malvinas,
    UK & Argentina) might serve you well. Not forgetting that Argentina also
    claims the more distant South Georgia and the even more remote South
    South Sandwich Islands, but her case for those is even more tenuous.

Yogur griego likes this.
  11. tangomonkey

I'm aware of the history. My primary income for 25 years has been from investments and trading the markets. While I do not have an MBA, or a poli. sci. or economics degree certain things are obvious. The news events are seldom the real story. The Economist is a world-wide highly respected British magazine. I wasn't original in pointing out the oil connection.

I'll not reply to whatever you feel the need to say in response...

12. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

You mean I can refute you with impunity!

It won't surprise you to know that I don't share your viewpoint,
    especially in this economic climate.
    Money/market traders and financial speculators, bankers and brokers,
    politicians and their officials have all served the people of many countries very badly.
    It's the powerless population at large who suffer, usually without redress.

Isn't the Economist itself part of the news media?

13. tangomonkey

Sure, go ahead... :)

Well, I lied, I'm replying, and in agreement with you. I'd add corporate greed to the list too. And because of these things no vote for independence will amount to anything, because what the average person wants, in this case and many others, is in conflict with the interests of the powers that be.

At least the editorial board of The Economist is data and evidence based, unlike, say The Wall Street Journal, at one time the leading business paper, now a sad mouthpiece for its current owner's ideology.

14. jantango

jantango Active Member

The world-wide interest is attributed to Tango Argentino which opened in Paris in 1984 and appeared on Broadway. My first teachers traveled with the cast in the USA to set up classes. It was years before I knew they were teaching me and everyone else choreography. A visit to BsAs in 1996 was a turning point -- dancing another tango in the milongas.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  15. UKDancer

Why just BsAs: don't other Argentinians like tango?

16. jantango

jantango Active Member

They like tango for one reason -- working abroad.

17. UKDancer

That's not much of an advert, although I had worked out quite a while ago that making money is what drives the BsAs tango machine.

18. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

If it isn't the oil that's important to the British, then the solution to this riddle is simple: give the Argentines everything at sea around the Falklands (except territorial waters but including the economic exclusion zone) and let the British keep the stuff above sea level (including sheep and farmers).

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world. Sadly, much, if not most, US news media are now over-the-top partisan or at the very least, opinion, rather than fact based, these days. Sad development over the past twenty? years, IMO. *sigh*

I find this intriguing. Anybody have opinions they want to share?

20. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member