Salsa > Is the salsa scene a meat market?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Sep 5, 2003.

1. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I definetly agree with pygmalion, a little class goes a long way.

2. redhead

redhead New Member

In my favorite club, about half of all guys on any salsa/meringue/bachata night are regulars. Most of them are Latinos.
    When a new attractive girl comes in, some guys hit on her like crazy and not without success :lol: I like attention, but my first couple of times I was a little horrified - talk about meat market :shock: Well, most girls give up salsa after a couple of frustrating nights, so guys need to act quickly :p
    I kept showing up at that club on every salsa night for a month, and it seemed that all the regulars have magically changed. The reason is simple: they understood that I'm on salsa scene to stay, and they didn't want anything ugly to happen. There are not so many serious dancers, after all, and you see same old faces every night out. They still flirt with me, but in a classy, fun and respectful way.
    As far as I know, same thing happens to new dancers at most salsa clubs in town... and I consider it a survival training :lol:

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

redhead,

That is a cool perspective. The whole meat market thing is because you're fresh "meat" (for want of better terms), but all the aggresive stuff subsides. That sounds true, you know. I think I'll try it. Just go to the same club, rather than club-hopping, and see what happens.

Thanks.

And welcometo the forums!!! :D

Jenn

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Quite true redhead...if you prove yourself to be serious about dancing then you'll be treated accordingly and, with time, as an "insider." Prior to that however...

And ditto pygmalion's welcome! :D

5. Christine

Christine New Member

This is pretty much the reason why I left the salsa scene here in OC. I'm tired of the Mexican guys (no, that's not racist--- it's my experience!) I've gone to restaurants where they host salsa socials. I've noticed the White guys are looking for single women just as any single men do. The difference is their approach. They are more classy, more subtle, and more respectful and can take a hint. Hispanic guys on the other hand, by and large, are much more comfortable making their intentions obvious. It's cultural. Now don't be pointing out exceptions to me and telling me I'm stereotyping. I already know I am, and I already know plenty of exceptions. But it's a general statement, a general experience. Put it this way--- I observe how a guy dances with other women before I decide if I will dance with him. White, brown, black, doesn't matter. Have some class!

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Christine, but you (not meant personally) aren´t innocent, too. The fact is, that these said mexican guys simply attract girls and vice versa. Once you´ve been part of this circus, too, it felt good and you fueled it. So why now complain? This story isn´t new. I´m a tango dancer and usually salseras start dancing tango at the age of 34 with the words: don´t want to/can compete any more.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

standard rounds at the local ballroom studio LOL

ajiboyet and frotes like this.
  8. richsalsa

richsalsa New Member

Depends on the city, venue, etc.

I will say this though. You have better chances of avoiding the meat market if you go to salsa socials. When you got to a bar/club, it's usually a place that you found on google where any and everybody goes that likes salsa music, dancing, drinking and latin men/women.

When you go to a social, not just anybody goes. It's almost ALL dancers. Even if they like any of the aforementioned, everybody goes there for one thing...dancing. Because of this there is usually no alcohol since it's a hazard to your dancing. Very few serve or allow BYOB...it's usually water and gatorade. Also, because the goal is dancing, the dress attire is usually much more casual. Although many dancers like to dress impeccable and hate that others go casual, I think it's a necessary evil for dancers to be able to wear jeans and a t-shirt. It says "I'm not hear to impress anyone, I'm here to dance" (or impress with dancing and not looks, lol). If you removed those dancers and added alcoholic beverages, you'd have yourself a so-called meat market.

If you're city doesn't have many socials, I'd talk to an instructor if you are taking classes. They are usually the ones that shape the mentality of the community. AGAIN, bars and clubs welcome anybody who is willing to pay, so it's much harder, but instructors still have great influence. Also, you could ask them about starting a social.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

agree have those here much good dancing with out alcohol and all that ensues

10. Derek Salsero

Derek Salsero New Member

I disagree with it being a meat market, I think dancing raises the bar so the expectations are higher. there are plenty of men who go around sleezing and not giving a care about dancing and they usually target the new people who don't know them. The resident sleezes end up being known by everyone and they fail to use it as a meat market.

11. Simi-Lanjiao

Simi-Lanjiao Member

Of course the salsa scene is a meat market.

12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

The local salsa club I used to frequent wast 1/3 salsa dancers, and 2/3 grimy field hands that didn't dance (except for when a reggaeton song came on), speak a word of English, or put down their beer. It was a bit creepy.

I quickly found and was adopted by the "dancers" in the room, who vetted who I should and should not dance with, and would rescue me when I was accosted by one of the 2/3rders.

So meat market salsa club experience? Si!

13. Mr 4 styles

I had one girl stalk me from night to night at different venues....

until she found out I was married

* the hot brunette on my arm..the mrs.. should have been a clue but....:cool:

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Last time I was at a club (that happened to be having a salsa night), one of the instructors from my studio left after about an hour - she said she was tired of being constantly groped on the floor. Just another data point...

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

And others come simply for this reason, Loki.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

...and this isn't even an issue/part of some salsa scenes.

17. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

My local salsa scene is very active. I am older but I don't consider myself creepy and I hope the young ladies I danced with didn't think so. They appreciated the fact I could actually dance.

Usually the number of young men far outnumbers the older guys like me, and lots of younger guys just hang around to watch the ladies. I question your friend's assertion that there are lots of creepy old men, but perhaps your friend thinks 22 is old.

I don't think the salsa scene is any more of a meat market than any other type of club/bar scene, but of course it's a den of sin compared to dance studios.

opendoor likes this.
  18. timberamayor

timberamayor Member

I think it's actually less of a meat market than a regular bar scene. At salsa clubs a large percentage of the people are actually there to dance. Whereas at bars almost everyone goes to pick up someone.

SDsalsaguy likes this.