Swing Discussion Boards > Is the swing FORUM population thinning?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by MissAlyssa, Sep 9, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Let me add one more welcome LQ! :D

I'm not a Lindy Hopper myself, but it's always great to have someone new who shares the love of dance that we all have!

2. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Hello there, SDsalsaguy! Nice to meet you! :D I like salsa dancing as well, and would like to find a place around here to learn more...

Suek - I took a workshop with Dabney and Binky - they're great! Really nice people...I think they might be teaching at the upcoming April workshops, but I'm not sure.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Great!! A new salsera in making! :D Welcome to df! People like you jumping into lindy is one clear indicator that swing ain't thinin' I did a little lindy a while back, but it ain't my thin'. I think that salsa swings!!

4. d nice

d nice New Member

I wonder if I met you at the Sacramento Swing Festival. I seem to remember meeting at least one person from Arizona (of course I also remember meeting an Australian, a Swede, and a few other people from parts elsewhere, it kind of all blends in after a while).

We'd love to have you back next year.

Dabney is a nice and cool guy, and of course a good dancer.

Welcome to the forums.

-Damon Stone

5. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Thanks for the welcome!
    I think I might have seen you in Sacramento - that was an awesome weekend! It was my first Frankie Manning workshop, it was actually my first time to try Lindy.
    I'm planning on returning next year! :D

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome LindyQuest, :D

I'm just down the road in Tucson.

7. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Hi Spitfire!
    My brother and his wife live in Tucson. What is the dance scene like there (in case I decide to go dancing while I'm visiting him :D ).

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

LindyQuest,

As far as swing goes the only things active that are going on are the monthly dance that is held at the Armory Park Senior Center in downtown Tucson on the 4th Saturday of each month. The next one is on the 28th; usually it's live music, but sometimes it's DJ'd. There is also a small informal dance held twice a month on Thursdays at Bookman's which is a large used bookstore and it is free of charge - this is actually on hold for the moment as work is being done on the meeting room.

Outside of that there are two studios that hold open dances on the weekends and the monthly USABDA events at the Armory Park Senior Center; this though I'm assuming your primary interest is in swing.

The only swing dance I've been to up there was to a dance held at the Storyteller Cafe in Mesa as part of an exchange event in November 2002.
    Every so often I'll travel up to Chandler to attend the Friday evening open dance at the Paragon Ballroom; I know the owner who use to teach at a studio here that I once took lessons from.

If you ever wish to take the two hour drive down here to the Armory Park dance I'll be happy to give you directions. :D

9. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Welcome LindyQuest, welcome!!! It's so great to hear that someone else has found the lindy bug! Nice to have you here! :D

10. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Hi SwinginBoo!
    I agree, Lindy is great! ':bouncy:'
    It really helps relieve the stress of work - sometimes teaching junior high can be really...interesting. :shock: If only I could get a few more of my friends hooked as well...
    Anyhow, I'm so excited - this weekend I'll be going to two swing dances! Yeah!!!
    Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

11. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

You teach Junior high too? You aren't kidding about dance relieving stress. I would need to dance all night tonight to relieve the stress from this morning. :wink:

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Boo!

Hope the stress is not too bad. :? (btw, what's up with your sign language class?)

My oldest girlfriend was assigned to teach at an inner-city middle school (after specializing in early childhood education :x ). She found it SO stressful that she quit and took a lower paying job at a private preschool, just to get back with the little kiddies.

Little did she know. She should have just taken up dancing. :wink:

What is this thread about? Anybody remember? I don't. :oops: :lol:

13. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

I ADMIT THAT I HAVE BEEN Missing In Action (M.I.A.),.... BUT I AM BACK NOW,... AND I HAVE A CONFESSION

I visit other forums
    www.orlandoswing.com
    yehoodi.com - national swing site
    murrayhilltheater.com- jacksonville spot
    lindyhop411.com

i guess yuo could call me a forum tart,.. but i must spread my love

-Amber D.

14. pygmalion

Okay, Missy! So you freely admit you frequent other sites. My question to you is why, when DF is the best on the web? Hmmmmm? :roll: :wink: :lol:

15. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

Blasphamy!!!!

I'm not sure you get out that often (to other sites-both on the web and off), otherwise you would see what you would be gaining by exploring a little. It is definitly worth it to visit other places. yuo meet more people and there are good topics and i havea lot of friends on the other forums that don't visit here.. but i do liek it here......

-amber d.

16. pygmalion

Just kidding. Truth be told, I bet I spend more time on the web looking at dance stuff (not just swing) than anybody else on this forum. And you're right. That's a great way to learn and to "meet" people. I am biased, but I have to say that I honestly do believe that DF is one of the best out there, and when you consider that it covers so many dance disciplines, I'd vote for DF hands down.

And it's a friendly place, which I haven't seen anywhere else. There are just plain nice people here.

17. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

yes, this may be the best in having the most categories of dance,... but i don;t know abotu anythign else. I would put any bets against yuo and anybody else on howlong yuo spemnd lokking up dance -related information on the web. I know some people who are obsesed with it,.. it's not healthy.

All of the sites that I listed are mostly swing dance genre only. as a matter of fact they are swing dance only.

We have a few dancers that do other things but they aren't the topic of discussion that often.. It does come up and peope lask them questions,.. but not that often. I focus on swing. My passion is swing. I travel for swing. I do exchanges and workshops and perform swing for groups and benifits and events all over the city of Jacksonville. I am an active swing dancer. I have been trained since I was 7 in tap, ballet,jazz,hip hop, modern, and lyrical. I also so salsa, waltz, and a little foxtrot.
    Ido linedancing as well.

Iam not a fan of any of these other things anymore. except for tap. Ilove tap.

Iwill watch these ofther genres and respect the dancers that do them,.. as long as they don't jump into somethign that they don;t know abotu or start teachign something badly like swing,.. I ponly say thing becasue I have seen it before.

If the people know abotu swing,.. and the dance and the stuff behind the dance,. .they more power to them.. Iam just saying.... don;t mess up a good thing.

There are more people on the other sites, dealign with swing and swing related topics becasue they are "swing sites" only. and soem of them are nationaly based. like yehoodi.

yes you pushed some buttons....... but i could talk for hours... but that's what these are for aren't they....

-amber d.

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's not about the swing forum, per say, thinning . . . it's just that most of us swing dancers are out having a great time swing dancing, as opposed to those who salsa and the ballroom dancers who have yet to learn all about their dances . . . thus are always on the best place to get that info - the DF . . .

Ok, let's see if I get away with that??? :twisted:

19. pygmalion

Much love to you. We all have our own approaches to dance, and our first (or only) loves. That's okay too. :)

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Nice try!! I finally caught up with you. :twisted: We salsa dancers go out dancing, then come back after you have gone to bed and chat away. We so love the dance we don't really sleep. We live, breath and sleep salsa. Never heard swing dancers talk about swing the way salsa dancers do. :)