Tango Argentino > Is there a good explanation of Naveira and Salas' tango analysis?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by plugger, Oct 10, 2011.

1. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

To me improvisation includes anyhow the following:
    *it is not planned beforehand
    * different parts of the brain are activated for the improviser and for a musician using sheet music - I suppose the same for dancer who plans the figures or improvises
    *my body makes decisions and I just can observe what hapend (BT & Co I am with you!)
    *to improvise steps is different from improvising a whole song. If I during a song use known figures, like ocho or salida, I still consider the dance as improvised. Step combinations should be totally unknown and fresh; no sequencies here.

I totally love the split to practica and milonga within tango! I think of it like this today:
    During the practica you train your body, push your limits and get understanding for the movements.
    During the milonga I leave the brain and let my body take over at the level I can dance at that evening. When in form, I just love the crowded milongas which force me to handle the variations of the space and the music, without any thoughts!

So I would like to reframe your posting and say: what I need to do during the Practica to let my body take over at the Milonga?

I train my body to be more precise in movements, I train figures to get used to the steps in tango vocabulary - as others have mentioned too.
    I train music hearing - to distinguish more structures in the music and so get more possibilities for my feet. I also try to find ways to train my emotional system to responce to the feelings presented in a tango. I think this last one is the most important thing for improvisation! (Many others are so lucky with lot of training in music - Me so envy :( )

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

well said, LL !

3. shrek

shrek New Member

Looking back through the archives, I really liked this post from Gssh. (Hope I've figured out how to quote it ok..)

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It looks like you did. That was a very good post you quoted.

:eek:

The way I've thought about tango is the fundamental elements are the foot move, weight change, and pivot.

I also acknowledge twisting (I've heard others refer to this as disassociation, dissociation, torsion), and vertical movement (rising and sinking), but I'm still in flux about how to categorize those two things, as I see them as more a means to accomplish a goal (the 3 fundamental elements) rather than a true goal in themselves.

Of course I do reserve the right to change my mind, as my knowledge improves.

[​IMG]

5. John Fisher

John Fisher New Member