Tango Argentino > Istanbul Tango Festival

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, May 17, 2016.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

One of my students will be going to the Istanbul tango festival in late June and was asking about the teachers. I'm not familiar with any except Aenokin Quiroga (and I don't really know anything about him; I've just heard the name or seen videos) So I thought maybe some of you in Europe and environs might be.

http://www.istanbultangofestival.org/

Alejandra Mantinan & Aoniken Quiroga
    Michelle Marsidi & Joachim Dietiker
    Vanessa Villalba & Facundo Pinero

If you have recommendations, post them. If you have criticisms, due to forum rules, send them in private messaging. My student is a rapidly progressing beginner leader. By late June he will definitely be "advanced beginner" category.

If you are going to the festival from out of town, maybe I can hook you up with him. Although he is not an advanced dancer, he is very familiar with Istanbul.

Thanks all.

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

I've done workshops with Michelle & Joachim in New Zealand and enjoyed them. I found them a fun couple, with clear teaching and well structured material. The only reservation would be if your student prefers sustained close-embrace - that isn't their style. Otherwise I think they'd be great for an advanced beginner.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I have had some classes in the past with Aoniken Quiroga & Alejandra Mantinan. I liked them and do recommend them. Aoniken is a funny guy, FWIW.

4. Zoopsia59

In the past, criticisms of teachers, who aren't able to defend themselves here from negative posts, have been discouraged. I don't know what the exact rule is and I don't really care. I think it's a perfectly simple thing to PM me with a response if anyone is uncertain whether their comments might be an infraction of some sort.

I appreciate all feedback on this question either posted or private.

fascination likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not really...it's fine to just share who you DO recommend and why, and leave well enough alone if you don't...all good...but OP is right about not specifically criticizing named persons who are not here to speak for themselves

6. fascination

so...let's get back to the topic and honor the request of the OP, because it is her thread....let me further encourage that debate over forum rules to go to staff mailbox as need be, not on active threads, because it throws the thread off topic and is also against guidelines....I will delete some of this a bit later to recover the flow of the initial question and responses...disregard of this request will be considered as an infraction....thanks

dchester likes this.
  7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

It's precisely here that the mods are inconsistent with the rules. There is no way to honor the request, there is no way get back to the topic. As no criticism is allowed, the praise has no value. Sans la liberté de blâmer, il n'est pas d'éloge flatteur - Beaumarchais. And if it is impossible to answer, the question should not be allowed, consistency-wise.

JohnEm likes this.
  8. Zoopsia59

Praise is valid without criticism of another. By your logic, if a teacher praises the performance of a high achieving student, the teacher must also specifically criticize other students in order for the praise to have any meaning.

In the context of the board, if 10 people recommend one of the couples and NO ONE recommends one of the others, that can be useful information. It might mean no one is familiar with them, but it is easy to simply say "I've never heard of this other couple", and that clarifies the omission.

Also, within context of the board, feedback doesn't have to be praise OR criticism. For instance the comment that one couple didn't work in sustained close embrace was useful information for me. Performance videos don't always give the correct impression of a teaching method. So a comment like "They taught the whole class I took in open embrace" or "they encouraged us to take small steps in close embrace" is far more informative.

9. fascination

as I said, if you want to have that debate, do it in staff mailbox, as discussing moderation in the public forum is consistantly and unequivocally against guidelines, so further debate on that will be met will infractions being issued...and again, let us return to the topic, and I will shortly be editing the side debate...thanks

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  10. oguzhan

oguzhan New Member

hello from turkey,

this festival that you can find the most famous and talented performers from argentina and turkey. So, i think your students will be very happy when they came to istanbul.

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

No one will ever go there. This country has no tradition of skill in this dance, and is to be avoided anyway on general grounds.

12. dchester

I've heard good things about that festival, but I've never attended it. Maybe some time if I return to Europe, I might try to make it there as well.

oguzhan likes this.
  13. oguzhan

oguzhan New Member

i hope you can come to istanbul and you have chance to try it .

14. oguzhan

oguzhan New Member

hello new bie

where do you live, i wonder how the tradition of skills in there? in argentina?

15. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

16. dchester

I'll chock this up to English probably not being your main language.

If I was talking to someone about Germany, I could then say, "If I return to the UK, I'll try to make it there as well". That doesn't mean that I think Germany is part of the UK. It means I might try to visit both places on the same trip.

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

When I return to Asia, I'll be going to Nepal. The "in Asia" part of Istanbul will be FAR away.
    When I return to Europe, I'll be going to Mt Blanc. The "in Europe" part of Istanbul will be considerably closer.

sixela likes this.
  18. oguzhan

oguzhan New Member

19. Tagontarian

Tagontarian New Member

May be you have changed your mind by now? From people who have actually gone and danced there, I have heard nothing but good things about Istanbul Tango dancing.

20. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Why, no.
    Also, there is a dedicated subforum for ads.