Ballroom Dance > ISTD Tango Syllabus Help - regarding Facing DC as leader

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by TV107, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TV107

TV107 New Member

p103 of Ballroom Technique says for a Closed Promenade:
    "The man may turn square to Lady on step 3, to end Backing DC. Footwork for Man would then be 'IE of BH' and for the Lady 'IE of foot.'"

so that means the man makes a 1/4 L turn, and the lady doesn't turn on step 3 ?? (unless i'm misinterpreting the step)

Then under Follow for that step it says,
    If ended DC - Any Reverse Turn.

while it practice you could dance the step, you are not ending DC, you are ending DW against LOD.

continuing on this train of thought, for step #6, Open Reverse Turn, Lady Outside on p.106 for precedes, it says "Closed or Open Promenade or any Closed or Open Finish ended DC

I must be missing something because you are not ending DC but DW against LOD and it would create a lot of confusion on where wall is and where center is .... it doesn't even seem practical for a corner move ... any assistance is appreciated in explaining the step where you end closed promenade with the man FACING DC ...in-line with the book's words.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  2. TV107

TV107 New Member

p105 not p106 for open reverse turn

3. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Closed promenade can be danced toward DC instead of down LoD and be followed with any reverse turn. Take a look at notes on Natural Twist Turn, and amount of turn explanation in Natural Promenade Turn for examples of figures that end in promenade moving toward DC.

4. TV107

TV107 New Member

Thank you for responding ... however, I don't believe I got my answer yet.

For Natural Promenade Turn, you end DW of new LOD (or DC of old LOD) so it makes sense....and you can underturn a Natural Twist Turn for the same

but still that doesn't answer how exactly you start along LOD pointing DW with a simple CLOSED PROMENADE and end facing DC ... the description on p103 in the NOTE says you end backing DC ... and what according to the syllabus can the man do backing DC ..... I don't see anything in the syllabus the man can do backing DC .... what am I missing?

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I don't have the Gray book with me, but there are some alignments in it that make no sense to me. Curious to know the answer to your question.

6. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

The only thing I see is Figure #2, Progressive Side Step. According to the gray book, it can be danced in any alignment and curved to the left. And it can be followed by a Walk on the RF. So maybe a series of curved Progressive Side Step with Walk on RF, but I don't know what the timing would be for the Walk on the RF.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You don't.

As Mengu pointed out you START with a different alignment so that you may end with a different alignment.

You start to the center with feet pointing DC and the close the lady in front of you to stay ending DC.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. vit

vit Active Member

There is indeed such a remark for closed promenade in both my copies ('88 and '94). In two other, more recent books I have (Guy Howard, WDSF) there is no remark of that kind

It means that you could close to the lady instead closing her, by turning yourself 1/4 to the R (and not to the L as you wrote) during the promenade and ending backing DC. Book doesn't seem to specify what to do next in that case. It is specifying what to do next if you do it as usual and end --facing-- DC (which usually means moving DC and doing slightly more turn to the L, so you can proceed with reverse figure)

I don't remember anybody actually doing it that way. Have in mind that first edition of the book was written back in 1948 ... things change, so many things you will find in some books are actually obsolete/not precise/wrong some other way ...

But if you really want it that way ... you can do back step with LF into reverse corte for instance ...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Requiem likes this.
  9. TV107

TV107 New Member

Thanks for response and so I did more studying of the book and it seems, if you do this variation ending and end backing DC, man can do LF Rock or Back Corte (I think that's what you meant by reverse corte) and then end up DW

Requiem likes this.
  10. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Slow

11. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing. But could you point out where it states that in the book?

12. TV107

TV107 New Member

It's not explicitly said in the book even though there is room on p98 for it to have been added ... I guess it was assumed to be too basic even for a syllabus book or it's just an elementary omission.