Salsa > It's definitely NOT over!!!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by lily, Aug 13, 2004.

1. lily

lily Member

Re: Crazy

Well, I guess he didn't really make me uncomfortable enough for me to get angry and leave - I wouldn't let him :lol: I was fine dancing like that, but he wanted to get a lot closer which is why he wasn't happy and wanted to find another girl to finish the song with :roll:

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Lily... interesting... I haven't replied sooner 'cause I have been away for the holidays...

I was in La Pachanga on Friday and Saturday (I was in Paris for a week, a training thingie...). And I have to confess I loved it!

Lita told me later that those weren't the best nights... but I had fun! Yes, there were some guys who tried to rub against me... but I was so happy I was dancing that I ignored that part! :oops: :oops:

Also, I have been dancing for more than 3 years... and I am a Salsa instructor in my country... so I just looked up the best guys who showed up and invited them! I really don't have a problem inviting... and most of them were really nice...

3. lily

lily Member

Wow! Glad you had a good time :D It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a complete beginner in Salsa so I already feel ill at ease. Plus, my ego is rather fragile as I Swing dance really well so it's hard to start all over again and not be one of the better dancers in the room :( :lol: I guess that's why I don't appreciate the constant flow of advice when I'm dancing. I feel like telling my dance partners, "But I CAN dance. Just not Salsa..."

But I hope to give La Pachanga another try. I don't want to be left with the bad experience I had last time.

4. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Well, I hope we could change a litle the way you were seeing salsa :mrgreen:

Yes you all, that's right, another DF meating took place yesterday night, Lily and I met for a few dances :D

I for one had a very nice time, and I think she also enjoyed herself (but who am I to say what a women thinks ;) ).

Now I must say, however, that after dancing with you, I am very surprised someone would patronise you while dancing.

I mean, I know that I am not the best dancer, but I for one did not feel any need to give you advice or anything, you did follow my lead, not my words.

We have even danced a bachata together, and there was no need for explaining ther either !

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the guys you met the first time around were complete jerks ;)

5. lily

lily Member

Did I say it's over??? No way! It's only just beginning!!!

I had a fantastic time, thanks! :banana: Thank you Lita for showing me that a Salsa night out can be great fun! I had a wonderful time dancing last night and I can hardly believe that it was the same place I went to last time. What a difference! (The only tiny negative moment was when one guy I danced with started firing advice at me after about 3 steps of dancing. I was frustrated as I just wanted to dance and here he was doing a basic step over and over again so that he could explain to me everything I was doing wrong! But I quickly forgot my annoyance when we started dancing; I was in too good a mood :D )

That's 'cause you're a great lead :wink: And you understand that it's a dance not a lesson :roll:

Thanks :oops: :D I did try to follow but I know that it didn't always work out perfectly! The thing is that I'd never seen most of the moves that we were doing so I was using my Swing dance reflexes to allow myself to be lead. Most of the time it works, but not always! Some of the moves were nothing like what I've done in Swing; they always took me by surprise but they were really fun!

I hope that Lita and I get the chance to dance together again before I move to NY. And if any of you Salsaras ever come to Paris, I know a great Salsaro who I can highly recommend! :lol:

6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Gosh, it just warms my heart when DFers get together. This is just awesome! Lita_rulez and Lily, I'm so glad you guys had a great time! How cool is that! :D :D :D :D :banana:

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Thanks for the report, Lita and Lily -- great to hear you two had a wonderful time. :D

I was looking forward to a dance with Lita @Bognor but it looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer... :(
    I'm hoping I can meet up with Reggaemambo at my first congress, for my first dance with a DFer! :D

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I can hardly wait to meet you Lita!

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cool! DF reunions all over the globe. :D

10. lily

lily Member

It's true that it's great if we get the chance to meet up with fellow DFers (MacMoto and Squirrel: I hope you are both able to meet Lita!). I wanted to meet him as I just couldn't leave France without having danced with the only DFer in Paris, but also because he kindly offered to take me dancing after I was ready to give up Salsa forever :shock: :D

So thanks to DF & Lita my faith has been restored in the Salsa world and I can't wait to go dancing again :notworth: (just let me go Swing dancing once first, then I'll be ready for another Salsa night :wink: :lol: )

11. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Nice there! 8)

A sad ending turned into a happy beginning. :cheers:

12. lily

lily Member

That's right! :bouncy:

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

The thread title needs to be changed to "It's definitely NOT over" :wink:.

14. rose385

rose385 New Member

I had a really bad experience once too.......I once went dancing and an older gentleman asked me to dance. Once we started he would stop me every 30 seconds and say "no, you're doing it wrong" over and over. Finally, he got so frustrated with me that he began to yell....yes YELL so loud that people actually stopped dancing to look. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? IT'S NOT THAT HARD! :oops:

I was HUMILIATED! I left that club vowing never to go salsa dancing again...but that only lasted a week... :wink:

I tried again and everyone I danced with was shocked that I could dance as well as I could for a beginner. That brought my confidence back up.

Now I wish I could find that guy and tell him that he is the one with the problem not me and perhaps he should go back and take some more lessons :bkick:

15. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Rose385. Welcome. :D

I really wonder what makes a person react this way towards others. :roll: Is this behavior introduce by schools, instructors, peers or personal hangups? Is it hard for them to differentiate between class and social settings? Do they think that way they learned is the only way to do a move? Do they look at social dancing as another form of domination between two people. I just don't get this behavior. Just bugs me to know end. :evil: But I guess as long as there are people, you will encounter different perspectives, attitudes, egos, etc. *shrug* :?

Anyways, I'm glad you're still dancing Rose385. :D

16. lily

lily Member

Wow, that's really nasty. I can't imagine being shouted at on the dance floor :evil: :x I agree that it's a real shame that you can't see that guy again and put him in his place. Come to think of it, with an attitude like his, he has probably had to give up dancing as no one would dance with him :twisted: :lol:

17. lily

lily Member

Good idea. Done!!!

18. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I see guys do this from time to time, I chuckle... if the leader needs the follow to go somewhere, well, lead her there, if it takes more than a subtle hint on technique, if any at all, then the dude just can't lead. That is if we aren't trying one those high level performance moves...

I know a dancer that does this too frequently, then gets mad that the girl can't follow and goes around telling everyone the girl can't dance... Which boggles my mind because everyone else does even more complicated patterns with the same girl... Hmmmm

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

an ego thing? :roll:

20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't know but I certainly know how it feels to be told you suck. The absolute first introduction I had to salsa was at a party of 400 people, with a live band and plenty of people from South America.(Us foreigners tend to stand out in a crowd of Japanese). My friend & I took the lesson they had before the band started playing, and tried our best to keep up with the basic. When the band started, we were in the back of the crowd trying our best and really enjoying ourselves when a guy with a Spanish accent came up and started dancing with me. He started to say, "No, no, you're doing it all wrong! You have to wiggle those shoulders- like THIS, SEE??? The hips, the hips, No, that's not it!!!" and finally walked away after a minute. That didn't ruin my evening or anything, but I still thought that guy had some NERVE as I would NEVER criticize someone who was just beginning in that manner. Pointers, yes, insults, NO! :evil: